Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The plans for 1.7 (+Its going again.)

Default Re: The plans for 1.7 (+The Second Saturdays Beta.)

I could make the effects of I could make effects of cultural and religious unity less of a diplomatic boon, as both of those factions start out liking their neighbors.... A lot.

But more seriously, I am going to tweak AI's tendency to hunger the conquest of the regions they consider their heartland (Essentailly, their victory conditions,) their desire unite their provinces, and their desire to colonize.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; March 16, 2016 at 12:07 AM.

axicup's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Walrusjones View Post
    I could make the effects of I could make effects of cultural and religious unity less of a diplomatic boon, as both of those factions start out liking their neighbors.... A lot.

But more seriously, I am going to tweak AI's tendency to hunger the conquest of the regions they consider their heartland (Essentailly, their victory conditions,) their desire unite their provinces, and their desire to colonize.
    That's the right decision! It's tiring to see the celtic alliance every game. Why the hell would they resist uniting the islands? And norse factions never go to war with each other, so it seems like they are forced to take distand lands elsewhere (since they also like most of the germanic factions).

I have a related question then. If the diplomatic bonuses based on culture and religion were removed, would that make WRE less of a target for barbaric factions?

Lastly, as far as diplomacy went, I am starting to consider that confederations might play a vital part in making sure that happy, diplomatic AI's will actually do something.

Edit: As a note, screenshots on the AI's performance at around the year 415 or later are great feedback when it comes to AI performance.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; March 16, 2016 at 10:53 AM.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

515? It might take me a while to get their.

You posted two of what was well past that, you have... I POSTED THE WRONG YEAR... by 100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Walrusjones View Post
    I played custom battles a bit, these are my observations.

One thing i noticed is that archers cant beat anything, i fact i dont know what they are supposed to do on the battlefield because they just suck at everything (maybe there are some exceptions - like marz archers). Hurlers kill things fast enough, but archers - well they cant kill anything in a 1000 years - also the run out of ammo in about 300 years. Another thing is hurlers heavy shot which is completely redundant - it doesn't do anything but lowers reload rate - or so it seems.

Also i tried Slavs a bit and noticed that when pretty much all other javelin skirmishers have spearwall they don't have it - not even the high tier - i did notice the bonus vs cav on them which is nice. Also poison shot is pretty much useless - its nice that its effect is almost permanent of the battlefield, but if u compare antean poison hunters to other elite archers like the caledonian elites or even elite sagittarii they just suck.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Regular kills for Tier 2 germanic archers with 7xp are about 70~ kills in a one stavke battle. Only really good for flaming arrows morale bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Regular kills for Tier 2 germanic archers with 7xp are about 70~ kills in a one stavke battle. Only really good for flaming arrows morale bonus.
    Well i faced Germanic archer sagainst Slavic hunters (standard shot), skirmish took around 6min or so and they killed around 29 men (large unit size). On the other hand Slavic hunters killed 54 men (spend all ammo) so Germanic routed (had only one volley left).
    And all this is in a skirmish between low armored units. Ofc with heavy shot its possible to ramp up the kills a bit(i wonder if AI ever use it), but why bother if hurlers or javelin skirm can do that in 1/3 of a time and with far better results.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

I did do some work on skirmisher balance yesterday, so I am glad this is being discussed out in the open. (There is a certain strange, satisfied feeling I get when I am already working on solving issues that are just starting to get discussed.)

Javelins have and sling bullets have been given some minor knockdown capabilities, but they have had some of their damage reverted to bonus versus X, and their spread is a bit higher. As such, both unit types, while highly inexpensive, are definitely more close range, and loose some lethality when not being ordered to fire on their optimal targets. This should be less a nuke to their balance and functionality, and more a re-purposing that focuses them more as counter-troops. (Note: Bonus versus does not grant AP, just damage, so converting damage to bonus versus likely only has negatives, but the slight amount of physical force getting added to slings and javelins makes up for this, slightly.)

In general, archers, due to having shot types for every type of unit, and higher range, are going to be a bit more expensive then other unit classes relative to their damage output.

At the same time, I am specializing archer shot types a little differently in this next patch (Based on tests done by the total realism branch.)
    The heavy shots bonus versus has been converted to AP.
    Standard shot has gotten part of heavy shots old bonus versus.

This is a well tested change from Celticus that I have been dragging my feet on, but its time that I actually implement it.

This results in the following flow of archer combat:
    Light Shot archers standing without obstruction, firing on heavy shot set archers will usually win due to high DPS. The turning point is with very high skill heavily armored archers, but even then, those are some expensive units.

Heavy shot archers are capable of inflicting good damage per-unit over the course of a battle, but take longer to do it.

Regardless. We all know that archers aren't locked in a single shot type throughout an entire battle, this means that archers versatility should have now increased, with their power, a little.

I also swapped the reload speeds for standard bows with the reload speed for composite and reflex bows. Why? The later two groups (45 and 50 damage bows,) were already performing very well from my own tests, and I had spotted some old CA values that were highly unusual differentiating between the base reloading time for each bow class. As such, this is preventing the other bows from hitting a Godzilla threshold from their unusually quick reload, and helping the standard, 35 damage bows catch back up with other missile weapons.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; March 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM.

Here's the faction progression in 431AD.
    http://imgur.com/a/iFxk5

The worlds recolonization progress seems to be going along... Amusingly.

Some amusing things has been the long Rugian/Slav war being fought in the east. The Thuringians joined in once Macedon decided to attack the baltic coast and take a settlement or two. That seemed to kick the AI into gear and it recolonised all that polish clay. On the other hand the Geats and Picts are having a grand old time down in SPain. The ebdanians declared war on the Geats now though so maybe I'll be able to take the Isles and rst of spain once I move my armies around.

There's two versions of several Frankish units, a 160 man version and a 180 man version. This applies to the Axe Heerbann and the Francisca Heerbann. Same cost and upkeep.

I think I know the cause of this. Its something I did a long time back when I was trying to make TLR not break things.

I completely forgot to upload yesterdays version.

Uh.

Here.

1.7_tusk_Third_tuesday.zip

* Includes above mentioned missile revamp.

* AI Sassanid vassals should now be capable of rebelling against the AI Sassanids without turning down a join war request.

* AI should be more capable of developing their own settlements.

* Crossbows now recruit from markets, and mounted brigands from advanced agriculture. Pulling crossbows out of goats was MESSED UP.

* AI should be slightly more aggressive.

* AI should be much more eager when it comes to colonizing empty clay.

* Barbarians can form confederations again, as an experiment. The current culture groups for this are as following:
    Sarmatian
    Celtic
    East Germanic
    West Germanic
    Central Germanic
    North Germanic
    Slavs (I believe...)

I currently need to tweak their eagerness to get AI factions to offer to join your empire, but the goal here is that lazy, happy with their neighbors AI factions get in the habit of resolving their large peaceful blobs in a way that produces more interesting threats in the late game.

Alright, I can confirm that I am suffering from some fairly serious computer issues, I wish it wasn't so, but most things crash right now.

As such, I can't really test anything for the time being, I can't update the steam version of the mod, and I won't be able to show up on the discord chat until I manage to get things resolved. I will do my best to get this resolved soon, but I can't give you a timeframe as to when this might be.

Missiles are quite strong in the latest beta with most archers easily racking up a 100 kills and not much you can do about it.
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

I did nerf them in the last release, but I can't do any testing/updating at the moment until I am finished with my current fixes to my computer (Currently performing a four hour drive operation that will allow me to change boot disks, and thus, actually start hammering away at the problems at large.)

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

I hope your computer accepts the new drive and makes a speedy recovery

Seems to be fully recovered now, meaning that I will be able to start work again. (And of course I would get this fixed the day before a game I have been hyped for for about two years comes out -.-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast