Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Empires Gameplay Guide (AEGG)

Default Ancient Empires Gameplay Guide (AEGG)

This guide is currently a work in progress that will go on to cover all aspects of Ancient Empires in great detail. For now it concentrates on the different battle mechanics. I have done this because a lot of people seem to be confused by the way the combat in AE works, as it is different to vanilla and showcases a much more authentic immersion into Ancient Warfare and relies more on positioning, reserves and fatigue conservation than is normally present in battle mods. To make the transition easier I have added some tips on how to play AE and why the battles act in the way that they do, explaining all the intricate mechanics that I have put into it over the years.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...VBMbW8tYTJCSjg.

I will later go on to expand into the campaign mechanics to explain those even more confusing and new aspects that are also entirely different than anything in Attila so far.

I hope this helps those who are struggling to understand how and why AE works the way it does.
    Petellius
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Default Re: Ancient Empires Gameplay Guide (AEGG)

Bugger me, that all sounds amazing. It really sounds like what Rome 2 combat should've been, taking inspiration history/reality to create something that is both complex and intuitive. Rome 2 and Attila both have what I see as major shortcomings in their combat because of how "gamey" the design is. Vanilla R2/Attila combat just doesn't feel like battles.

Thumbs up.
    Last edited by Sandraker; February 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM.
    500 - Internal Server Error

Fantastical start of the AE guide bro, I'm just not sure about the word "effected" instead of "affected" but the presentation is damn cool.
    Congratulations Petellius!+rep for this.

Good job. I cant wait to play the mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Fantastical start of the AE guide bro, I'm just not sure about the word "effected" instead of "affected" but the presentation is damn cool.
    Congratulations Petellius!+rep for this.
    I must admit that never made sense to me.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Its an excellent guide, and I wouldn't say much but make the sections on missles a little shorter, perhaps. Otherwise I cannot wait to see the other guides that will come along with this.

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Petellius again.
    AE Dev, mainly units

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

Looks amazing!
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Very good work Petellius looks great my friend!

a question about the morale in the mod.

I'm not sure how this would work out once applied to the mod, but;

what if you gave every unit "encourage", so that the importance of keeping your units together is more apparent , to reflect the fact that humans feel safer in numbers?

Also, with cavalry, why don't you give every cav unit the "scare" ability, and make everyone else but low-level soldiers "immune to scare/fear", to reflect the fact that untrained soldiers would normally route before even being reached by the charge of a cavalry unit?

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

Theres already a morale modifier for having the flanks secured and being near other friendly units. Certain units like the Druids do have an encourage passive ability which further boosts friendly morale. I believe we tried the scare thing but it created to much chaos.
    AE Dev, mainly units

Elite units encourage others, they also scare lesser units so that they really make a difference in the battlefield. Holding your best troops in reserve and then committing them where the enemy is wavering or weak can really make a difference. Veterans also encourage (another unit type) but do not scare others, they are immune to fear though as they've been to hell and back and survived.

Also we tried the scare for cavalry thing and it didn't really work.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

I'm really loking forward to try your work.
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

amazing work. I can't wait to get my hands on this. I believe there is a typo in the barbarian fanatic description. "these enemies through themselves..." I think it is meant to say "throw themselves"

Question from a modders/mainstream point off view

- How will the mod be uploaded to the steam workshop? (as a whole or in modular parts).
    - Can i for instance choose to not use some new mechanics because i don't like it all that much?
    (the fact that cavalry will not charge some units and that my tier 3 unit can either die against a tier 2 unit because they are to tired or that my units can rout when they only lose 10% off their men).
    If it is cut into large sub sections for instance then i could deselect the mechanics that i don't like, or at least most off them?
    Not to denounce the work off you guys of course, it's just that some people may not like it all "realistic" because that's what some people are trying to avoid when gaming.
    - Will it be possible to add newly modded units into the mod? (i mostly create/adjust hellenic/eastern units).

To end i would like to say that i am looking forward to this mod!! It has been to long since there was a great mod that will make me relive Rome II (but then way better)

words cannot describe how stoked I am to play this mod......
    Dont take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway

Joseon194's Avatar Miles

will this be expanded upon release in nine days?
    "This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

I'm working on it as I go but yes it will definitely keep being added to.

Decanus

The Sept 30th is getting near, any hope of getting any guide lines on how to play game? Watched all the videos for Ancient Empires on Youtube, gives me some good insight on how battles tactics work.

I'll try but getting the mod working is obviously my main priority xD. I've got all the battle guide done and some naval stuff, not sure how the campaign will play until we all do on the same day so cant really give a guide except from what I think it will play like and giving info on what can be done.

Also hope to have a preview of just what can be done with our building trees. Some of the combinations are pretty cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast