Thread: How to: Use forts as death traps

Default How to: Use forts as death traps

Forts work similar as in RTW. Blocking every access road to your provinces can prolongue peace with a faction (maybe it changes the pathfinding of the AI, whatever it works). As garrison 1 cheap unit will be enough. A peasent unit that is already damaged in half or any other badly damaged unit will work best.

If an other faction finally decides to wage war against you and besieges the fort attack with the besieged unit (might aswell autobattle there). You loose the battle and the enemy sits within your fort. Now all you need to do is sally forth and besiege the fort in return. It does not matter if the enemy gives up after 3 turns or if you exterminate all of them in a glorious fort battle, noone will escape (make no prisoners )

pero's Avatar Miles

Default Re: How to: Use forts as death traps

yeah that is a good idea. I never used to use it before. I used just to send my armies and kill everything that gets in their way. But good thing to attack little forts is when you have lots of catapults or even better cannons. Because they are very grouped there will be many casualties before the enemy can engage you at all.
    Um caruje, Snaga klade valja!!!

Personally i used them as stationary offence stations, Go to an enemy province that has a great army, and create the fort generally along a road near their city. The ai will generally seige it, and if you have archers/spearmen army, its great news, just snipe their units away while the spearmen hold them at the gates and target the mass grouped up units, ez-win 3/4 the time. also.. if you lose well there goes your army.

You're exploiting the AI there which will ultimately make for a less fun and challenging game.

Quote Originally Posted by italiano View Post
    You're exploiting the AI there which will ultimately make for a less fun and challenging game.
    Ouch thats harsh mate, but seriously with the current campaign AI you can call almost any human move an exploit .

Another use for forts is to station armies without generals. Out in the open they will rebel after a short time, but in a fort I've never had it happen.