Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: M2TW Config File How To's

Default Re: M2TW Config File How To's

I fired up medieval II again now on my new computer but all it says in my preference file is
    [video]
    widescreen=0
    [game]
    allusers=1
    Where do i find all the other commands( I have windows 7, so that might be the issue)
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

sarastro's Avatar Foederatus

how do i create a cfg file? im new and is my first time moding but im really concentreted in create new units.any tutorials or tips?

Quote Originally Posted by molonthegreat View Post
    I fired up medieval II again now on my new computer but all it says in my preference file is
    [video]
    widescreen=0
    [game]
    allusers=1
    Where do i find all the other commands( I have windows 7, so that might be the issue)
    Okay, ideally you need to get a new config file from somewhere, I think there is one on the disk. Copy it over into the main medieval directory then set it as 'read only' by right clicking on the file, clicking on properties in the drop down menu, checking the 'read only' box and then clicking apply. Don't worry about windows 7, the config file works fine, I have windows 7 and have done a lot of modding with no problems. However, if you unpack the game, apply patch 1.3 first as unpacking with 1.3 causes problems as it doesn't unpack properly (at least it didn't for me).

Quote Originally Posted by sarastro View Post
    how do i create a cfg file? im new and is my first time moding but im really concentreted in create new units.any tutorials or tips?
    The config file is already in Program Files/SEGA/medieval II total war folder, if you make any changes to it make sure you set it is 'read only' by right clicking on the file, clicking on properties in the drop down menu, checking the 'read only' box and then clicking apply.

If you are getting into modding I would use a mod switch as detailed here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75819

This separates your modded files from the main directory so that if something goes wrong you don't have to reinstall the game.

If you need more help feel free to PM me.

Matt
    Proud member of the Patria Libera team.

Problems with Hotseat.. Help if someone knows how to ...

Ok, i'm playing in hotseat mode with 3 factions in Broken Crescent 1.05 --> Broken Crescent Kingdoms submod..
    All is ok, in my config file hotseat.autoresolve_battle=0.. my faction Kingdom of Jerusalem is sieging Antioch (owned by Rebels) and i decide to wait to build some siege equipment.. when i choose end turn, all other factions (controlled by AI) make their move.. then is Rebel Turn : the army besieged sallies but i can't fight the battle (my KoJ Army attacked by AI Rebs army) because it is autoresolved .. i'd like to play also in battles where the player controlled factions are attacked by an enemy army at the end of the turn..
    I remember that in a multiplayer SS 6.1 campaign i had a config file that allowed that.. but i can't find that config file on my pc...
    I greatly appreciate if someone can suggest the right solution to my problem...
    Thanks, jackal263

Anyone know how to turn smoke off from units (EX: Musketeers?) PM me please thx

Quote Originally Posted by RabidSheepLegion View Post
    Anyone know how to turn smoke off from units (EX: Musketeers?) PM me please thx
    This is a modding trick that u are asking and has nothing to do with .cfg file.
    For this u have to mod the core text files of the game to increase and decrease the smoke that pops out of cannons and guns etc.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

It also helps to turn off the eyecandy in the Options menu.

what about vist users? when i open the cfg file all i c is this:
    [video]
    widescreen=0
    [game]
    allusers=1
    and when i try to edit it, and i save it tells me access denied....
    can someone do a tutorial for vista, and if their is one already please give me the link.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sahal View Post
    what about vist users? when i open the cfg file all i c is this:
    [video]
    widescreen=0
    [game]
    allusers=1
    and when i try to edit it, and i save it tells me access denied....
    can someone do a tutorial for vista, and if their is one already please give me the link.....
    Has been asked multiple times. You need admin rights to edit the file and save changes on it And make sure the file is not set to read only type under properties.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

memory leaks.

is there a way to create a log for memo leak data?

I'm trying the following (from O/P but with added values):
    [memory]
    mem.init = true
    mem.leaks = true
    mem.leak_depth = 1
    mem.crt = true
    mem.accounting = true

but don't know if it's possible to log the data anywhere?

I cannot even open my config file, it is all white like I am missing the application needed to open it, anyone know what app that is?

Open it with Notepad.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Open it with Notepad.
    I can't, when I right click there is no "open with notepad" option and when I click the open option at the top it just wants me to search the internet for appropriate applications which can open it because apparently I don't have one.

The config file is only 1kb as well which seems weird
    Last edited by Blackadder V; January 12, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

That's all it is, 1kb.

Have you opened Notepad yourself and then search for it?

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    That's all it is, 1kb.

Have you opened Notepad yourself and then search for it?
    I just downloaded notepad ++ and now an option comes up to edit it, it is strange normal notepad didn't do that. I was expecting loads of text like an .ini file but there is only about 4 lines.

Thanks for your help, although unfortunately after playing the tutorial I can see that my laptop can't handle the game even on low settings despite systemrequirementlabs saying I pass the recommended settings

Sorry to hear it. I don't trust systemrequirements for the simple with Total War games, any way, as they are always on the low side. Blame CA for the info they give these sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder V View Post
    Thanks for your help, although unfortunately after playing the tutorial I can see that my laptop can't handle the game even on low settings despite systemrequirementlabs saying I pass the recommended settings
    Tell me the exact model no. of your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Tell me the exact model no. of your laptop.
    Lenovo 3000 N200
    Intel dual core T5450 1.66 GHZ
    2gb RAM
    Nvidia Geforce go 7300
    Vista 32bit

I do have a PC upstairs that can easily handle it on max so all is not lost but I was hoping it would work on my laptop as it is much more comfortable and convenient (for various reasons).

-Tell you what i think the problem is your CPU i presume you get a lag on battlemap. You lower the UI unit scale in your options to small that will reduce some stress from your CPU.
    -Also use a free program called Game-booster to free some of your RAM as vista might be taking too much.
    -Play your game at 1024*768 resolution if playing more than that.

Lastly get your lazy ass on your PC if that doesn't helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    -Tell you what i think the problem is your CPU i presume you get a lag on battlemap. You lower the UI unit scale in your options to small that will reduce some stress from your CPU.
    -Also use a free program called Game-booster to free some of your RAM as vista might be taking too much.
    -Play your game at 1024*768 resolution if playing more than that.

Lastly get your lazy ass on your PC if that doesn't helps.
    Cheers Ishan, I will try that otherwise I will have to take it upstairs. It is lag on the battlemap but there is no lag in sound. I reckon you are right about the CPU as having global graphics settings on high or low didn't seem much different in terms of lag.