Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: M2TW Config File How To's

Default Re: M2TW Config File How To's

I am not following, I know it sounds dumb, but I am trying to get it to simply run in windows mode. Here is what I have now in the .bat file (btw, it works fine with nothing, or ignores what i have and works...)

tried

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg
    [video]
    windowed = true

and

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg
    [video] windowed = true

and even
    medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg [video] windowed = true

but the last bugs my game out and wont boot. No idea what I am doing wrong.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

The [video] windowed = true should not be in the .bat file, i've got no idea where you are gettng that line from.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

hey lusted can i place these anywhere in the medieval2.preference.cfg file?

[log] to = logs/system.log.txt level = * error
    [log] to = logs/system.log.txt level = * trace

Fixed it. Thanks for your writeup Lusted. I had placed the new config file IN the new Mod folder, instead of the main MTWII folder.
    Last edited by Ahiga; December 06, 2006 at 08:08 PM.

How do I create a bat file?

Everytime I try to rename it, I just get test.bat.txt

It won't ever let me rename the extension part of it.

Not quite sure why my log isn't working. I copied your line exactly where it needed to go, and got the other things to work so I know I am doing it right. And with me crashing my game, I would love to know why. :-D

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    How do I create a bat file?

Everytime I try to rename it, I just get test.bat.txt

It won't ever let me rename the extension part of it.
    I'm going to presume that you're using windows.

1) Click start, then click run and type "notepad" and press ok.

2) After notepad opens up, type what you want (medieval2.exe @mod.cfg) and click on file, save, and browse to where you want to save the file.

3) For the file name, type the name that you want to give it and be sure that you end it with .bat. Like for example, mymod.bat.

4 For the "save as type" option, be sure that you select "All Files" or the file will be saved as a text document.

5) Save your new batch file and close notepad. Now, to run the batch file, double click it like an .exe.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    I'm going to presume that you're using windows.

1) Click start, then click run and type "notepad" and press ok.

2) After notepad opens up, type what you want (medieval2.exe @mod.cfg) and click on file, save, and browse to where you want to save the file.

3) For the file name, type the name that you want to give it and be sure that you end it with .bat. Like for example, mymod.bat.

4 For the "save as type" option, be sure that you select "All Files" or the file will be saved as a text document.

5) Save your new batch file and close notepad. Now, to run the batch file, double click it like an .exe.

If this doesn't work for some reason, try this:

Save it as a text file.
    Open Tools/folder options on the top menu of your window
    Click on the "view" tab
    Find this option: "Hide extensions for known filetypes"
    Uncheck the checkmark on the left to it.
    Click "OK" and now all your files display various extentions, such as .txt or .exe etc.
    Click on the text file you saved, RightClick and select "rename", remove the last part of "txt" and replace it with ".bat". once you finished editing you will have a confirmation pop up box coming up about "once you rename the extention..blah blah blah" , just click ok.

I also advise modders and modder-oriented people to enable the "known file extentions" to be viewed, It's just handy sometimes.

I have question about text files, when I make new folder with my mods I have to copy modiefied text files into data folder, is it necessary ? I ask because I use polish version of game, when I copy those files some descritpions in the game are in english and some in polish, for example: cities names, units descriptions are in english. I am not good in english and I would stay with full polish version. I am not sure if this problem depends from those files but when I removed them all texts were in polish again.

Thx

Thx

With the mod switcher, I think it's gone wrong for me, am I right in saying that there should be no videos on start up?
    Here's a picture of the files and the dos prompt (It's abit small sorry) does it look right?
    Last edited by ocelot397; December 08, 2006 at 02:14 PM.

Hi there,

just a short question concerning cfg/game pref/game.english - I want to switch my German version to English language. Value of the line is set to 1 - no result - still German - values 0, 2, 3, etc.- the same result.

Is there any chance to switch the language or is the in-game language fixed by the localisation pack?

If yes - is there a chance to override the German localisation? Deleting the localisation pack?

Thanks in advance!

Can someone explain to me in a better way how to make the modswitcher, and create the new .cfg file? I am completely lost

How do I make it a .bat file? It won't let me

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant.x View Post
    How do I make it a .bat file? It won't let me
    Instructions can be found a few posts above you in post #27 or #28.

Legio XX Valeria Victrix's Avatar Great Scott!

Can anyone tell me why, after I put the logfile instructions into the config file exactly as posted here (copied and pasted, actually), I get an enourmous amount of errors when I view the logfile after a crash?

I can't pinpoint what actually caused the crash if there's so much other stuff in there. I will post the contents of it if need be.

"For what is the life of a man, if it is not interwoven with the life of former generations by a sense of history?" - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by ocelot397 View Post
    With the mod switcher, I think it's gone wrong for me, am I right in saying that there should be no videos on start up?
    Here's a picture of the files and the dos prompt (It's abit small sorry) does it look right?
    looks good to me. First you should have the DOS window popping up and about 3-10 seconds later your game should start up automatically.

Hi I have a little problem, I've changed some attack & defence points in the "export_descr_unit" file and tried to place it in mymod/data folder but nothing has changed ingame, what am I doing wrong??

Nevermind I got it to work!

I added this line into my preference text:

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt level = * trace

Yet whenever my game crashes, no log is saved. How do I track errors more efficently?

Ok, so I did what was said to do here, and it worked, pre patch. With the patch added in, (I created a new mod folder to include all the unpacked files) it now blacks out after booting and CTD. I am not sure if we need to include more files or just the data folder to the mymod folder. I can run the game normally, but not the mod folder. I changed only the [feature] section and no more, yet boots up and CTD before any of the scenes. Any ideas?