Thread: CTD when I start the campaign

Default CTD when I start the campaign

Hey guys, this is my first post. I'm a huge Total War fan, and I love your mod idea and everything. I have a problem when I want to start the campaign, when I click the "start" button I get CTD. It happens every time, no matter the faction. I'm providing you with my error report log.
    Hopefully, you'll answer me, and have some advice on how to resolve my problem. Thank you!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: CTD when I start the campaign

I am not sure what it is, I cannot see a fatal error. I am not sure if Gigantus can identify something.

One thing I noticed was this line:

00:06:38.266 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/1648_2/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/unlocked.txt

Are you using Steam to play the mod? I was reading recently that Steam crashes with some mods when unplayable factions are being unlocked. In this mod there are three unplayable factions. This might be the issue.

Thanks for answering

Yeah, I'm playing this mod using Steam. (Forgot to mention that, and I'm aware that's kind of important)
    Anyways, I clicked on "start the campaign" with Netherlands - Union of Utrecht and Archduchy of Austria, and I'm certain they are quite very much playable. I also get CTD when I click factional icon of Spain on campaign menu where I have to choose which faction to play with, but I never wanted to play with it, I just clicked it when I was looking where each factions starts on campaign map.

So what should I do?

I reinstalled it like 5 times, and each time there is always the same problem. I succeed in playing it for a while, with Netherlands, on one occasion, with ModStarter tool (found it on some older post in 1648 TWC forum), but the next day when I have entered campaign I was getting CTD's for almost any action I've tried to execute.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Geoffrey might have a point: the crash happens while processing the factions in the descr_strat faction. In fact the only file that does get modified apart from the log is that file. I can't think of any reason why the very first game works and afterward it's total crashes, even new campaigns.
    That file is not provided by the installation - locate it and delete it, then try again. Another angle would be to delete the [video] section in the mods CFG file (opens with Notepad) and reset the video settings via the in game 'video' option.

I do not know why the Steam crash happens when unlocking some factions. It may be that this has nothing to do with which faction you play. I understand that some mods are unplayable in Steam for this reason regardless of which faction you chose to play.

What Gigantus is proposing as possible fixes might work, as long as the original descr_strat is available somehow. You may have to copy-paste it from your original download, if you still have the original file. If that file gets altered (e.g. by Steam), the campaign will no longer work and will crash at start, which is what you seem to experience. Check the date of the file, in case it has been altered. Is the date very recent?

If you do not have the original file maybe we can upload it somewhere on the site but I am currently without highspeed internet so you may have to wait.