Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charge attack animations?

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

Default Re: Charge attack animations?

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    From some of the videos on warhammer, it seems like they are doing more charge animations. It seems like orcs sometimes jump and attack upon impact, and cavalry will even crush other cavalry on impact. You can see how stupid it'd be if a massive giant charged into zombies and just began attacking normally. He should kick them or fall on them even.

Same goes for demigryphs. If they don't have somesort ofimpact attack, it'll be very disappointing
    Agreed. We'll hopefully find out this Friday with the Bretonnian vs Greenskin battle.

Bretonnia without charge attack animations would be a great disappointment

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

There were cavalry charge animations in Shogun 2, where Yari/Great Guard cavalry would sometimes use their spears as javelins, so it looked like they are charging and one guy would throw his spear from short range, impale an infantry guy with it, they take it out of his body when he would pass him.

Lack of charge vs charge animations is what bothers me the most. In DeI we worked a bit on charge animations with what we have in case of charge vs stationary, so there is a lot of shield bashing, pushing eachother for few seconds when both guys are interlocked with their shields. There is also a lot of kill charge animations for both charging unit and defensive unit, so if unit of spearmen is charged by sword unit, some of the swordsmen can get impaled mid air during jumping into formation of spears. Some other death animation in Rome 2 for charging units are for example guy charging into other dude, but they both fall to the ground and then on of them gets stabbed into the neck. There are some more, but I can't remember them right now.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

You can also see how 3+ people involved in animations would also be nice, like an orc swinging at one swordsmen's shield, going to town on him, maybe even knocking him down... but then as he raises his choppa for the death blow, another swordsmen stabs him in the back of the head.

Imperator Artorius's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    You can also see how 3+ people involved in animations would also be nice, like an orc swinging at one swordsmen's shield, going to town on him, maybe even knocking him down... but then as he raises his choppa for the death blow, another swordsmen stabs him in the back of the head.
    This sort of thing would happen anyway if CA bothered to properly animate non-canned animations i.e. not just giving non-canned melee deaths missile death animations. A less developed version can be seen in Attila, as well as in Rome I, although in the latter it is very primitive.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    There were cavalry charge animations in Shogun 2, where Yari/Great Guard cavalry would sometimes use their spears as javelins, so it looked like they are charging and one guy would throw his spear from short range, impale an infantry guy with it, they take it out of his body when he would pass him.

Lack of charge vs charge animations is what bothers me the most. In DeI we worked a bit on charge animations with what we have in case of charge vs stationary, so there is a lot of shield bashing, pushing eachother for few seconds when both guys are interlocked with their shields. There is also a lot of kill charge animations for both charging unit and defensive unit, so if unit of spearmen is charged by sword unit, some of the swordsmen can get impaled mid air during jumping into formation of spears. Some other death animation in Rome 2 for charging units are for example guy charging into other dude, but they both fall to the ground and then on of them gets stabbed into the neck. There are some more, but I can't remember them right now.
    one of the most prized and sought after modification to charging mechanic might be the introduction of impalement(using the short range activation javelin method you mentioned) with broken and shattered lance animation so that the whole lance isn't stick out, but rather breaks into a little chunk sticking out of the impaled corpse. now assign a chance percentage to the unit, and apply it to the whole unit and it will have quite a stunning look i think.

I would love to see charges where the entire front line gets trampled, crushed, or impaled on the enemy's weapons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12