Thread: My Generals aren't getting the legion traits? 2.6

Default My Generals aren't getting the legion traits? 2.6

I'm playing 2.6 and got the reforms, I have the hispana legion but the general doesn't have the trait/anciarly (however you spell it) and same for another legion. Is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

Default Re: My Generals aren't getting the legion traits? 2.6

The Legion ancillaries are given out in Rome to the General(s) who haven't got any and have less than the 8 max. So move a spare General there and he will get one (they are given out in order). Move multiple spare Generals there and they'll all get one - then you can deploy as you wish.

This is, reason, just like: being granted your command/imperium; getting it from the store/senate/emperor's hands.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

By the way, can a general give the ancillary to another general or is he the legion commander until his death?

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

The ancillary is just like any other, so it is transferrable. You just need to bring the General who holds the ancillary and the general that you want to hold the ancillary together in one settlement and trasnder it between the two (by hold down click on the ancillary and drag it to the other general).

Ok. And can you recover the ancillary when the general dies in battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Battlus Lostus View Post
    Go back to Roma and get a new one. It will be all shiny and unused and without the ingrained dust......
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Battlus Lostus View Post
    As tedric said, yes you can. The ancillary will be respawned for an available general in Rome.

Just as a role playing aspect, it's not strictly historically accurate but makes sense; I always retire the general at around 50-55 to avoid trying to recover the command ancillary.

I'll keep the general with the legion and try to accumulate ancillaries that resemble the professions needed for a legion. eg command ancillary, 'surgeon' to help with casualties, 'hunting dog' to resemble scouts and line of sight, 'geographer' to help with navigation and movement points, 'archers of crete' for command stars and 'centurion' which I think is for personal safety/avoiding assassination (might be wrong about that).

The legion will look very accurate and the general will hold all the ancillaries dedicated for the legion and helps keep the feeling of immersion rather than just some random bloke holding command.

Once that general reaches 50-55 years old I simply move a new younger general in and transfer all the relevant legion ancillaries that help raise his stars and the surgeon, geographer ancillaries that assist in legion activity/recovery.

As generations go by I feel it gives that transfer of command feeling and is very convenient also. I always appoint a general of Equestrian rank to avoid that 'Imperium' trait accumulating in Patricians, and I think only equestrians gain any legion traits as plebians don't get good stats necessarily for command, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I too have long retired my Generals and Governors once they reach 60 - and I don't know why you would consider that not 'historically accurate'

As soon as the Greek Physician is spawned on one of my less hearty and hale chaps, they get moved and recreated until just about everyone has one (need to be careful once Surgeons appear as they won't get them if they have one of the former!). Thereafter it's a rare time that I ever lose Ancillaries and a stock is maintained and spare generals used to move them about and store when necessary.

Yes, it is still possible to avoid the Imperium trait (dvk' may well have fixed that iirc) - and indeed later on the Romans did just that in the same way.

The 'Plebeian' generals are considered 'less good', but are nice for flavour. I use them when a 'good' one appears to command the 'Brigand dealing' smaller forces around the empire. They will then often acquire experience, get promoted, and often get made into Equestrians. They can also make good reserve/second-in-commands in case of a major loss and stay with the legion/army reserve.