Thread: Making a successful ambush?

Default Making a successful ambush?

Is there anything I should know about this?

I remember in Rome Total War, I once or twice tried to attack an enemy army from ambushing position, but it didn't seem to work.

What did I do wrong? I expect it work just the same way in Medieval II?

Allso I would be very glad to see some hints, tips and stratts if you'd like to share them!

Default Re: Making a successful ambush?

With so many agents wandering about, and with all the watchtowers the AI has, it's very very rare to have a sucessful ambush. I'd say assassins are one of the most important things you need to use. Clear an area out, and theres a much higher chance you'll get ambushes.

Its easy to ambush the aztecs when you get over there, because of their lack of agents, and all the jungle.

Thanks man!

How exaxtly do you do an ambush?
    - Do you have to let the army stand one turn in the woods first?
    - Does the enemy army have to be just next to the army?
    (how often does that happen?)

Any more strategies or tips?

Yes, you have to be a wooded tile. Usually the idea location for these is next to a road where you beleive the AI will be using. When you do actually have the ambush you'll be able to set up your units in a tight box around a column formation that the enemy is set up in. I once accidentally ambushed a guy and I had a ton of Lancers and other elite Knights. It wasn't a slaughter, I think I split a few atoms that day. And yes you have to be next to the army.

Allways thought it would be way to improbable that the AI would place a army just outside your square... to bad you do not get the choise to ambush every time a army walks by your ambush army. It is a litle unfair, the AI can ambush you on your turn, so should you.

Quote Originally Posted by Preskinn View Post
    Allways thought it would be way to improbable that the AI would place a army just outside your square... to bad you do not get the choise to ambush every time a army walks by your ambush army. It is a litle unfair, the AI can ambush you on your turn, so should you.
    You can. If the AI walks into your area of control while your army is hidden, you get the option to attack. If your army was spotted, you don't get that option and the behavious is normal with the army unable to move for the rest of that turn.

whaaaat?
    Really? You can attack them on their turn?

Good news. People, you are talking to the future ambush master.
    Last edited by Preskinn; November 28, 2006 at 02:26 PM.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to the Battle Planning sub-forum.

I once started an ambush thread because i knew that in RTW the enemy always walked right by me as i lay in hte woods beside a road, the guy who responded told me that the enemy has to walk right into you but u guys say differently, ill test it out
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is bunny. Copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!