Thread: Mod Media

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Mod Media

Check out the mod in action

https://youtu.be/V41qEKNX6vs
    Last edited by Magnar; February 19, 2016 at 09:13 AM.

Default Re: Mod Media

Awesome!

I have one question: You said that it is now better to form a client state instead of conquering the region, because of the replenishment. But this works only for factions with the same culture or the same population classes right? So you can replenish your Greek noble units with other Greek nobles from a client faction, but not with e.g. Persian nobles from a Persian noble, right?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Scout of Imladris View Post
    Awesome!

I have one question: You said that it is now better to form a client state instead of conquering the region, because of the replenishment. But this works only for factions with the same culture or the same population classes right? So you can replenish your Greek noble units with other Greek nobles from a client faction, but not with e.g. Persian nobles from a Persian noble, right?
    Thats a good point, I was speaking from my experience with tests of play throughs of a wip version and that client state thing may have actually been a bug and not a feature . Will chat to litharion about it.

There are so many things to take into consideration with this mod that you dont even think about/realise until you get to it. As i said to litharion earlier today:
    "We are making really good progress with the mod, of the 6 items on our to do list from a few days ago: we've completed 16 and only have 7 left to do"

Ah, okay.

Nevertheless. Client states are now more useful, because you can spare your own population!

"We are making really good progress with the mod, of the 6 items on our to do list from a few days ago: we've completed 16 and only have 7 left to do"
    Sounds great! I can't wait to see your progress!

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Concerning replenishment, I have a few things I´d like to discuss.
    First of all I think long range replenishment shouldn´t be abolished, just limited to a certain amount.
    IMO replenishment from one region to an adjacent region should be possible, especially since you did it different than .Mitch. by giving every region its own population (IMO your solution is better).
    Or maybe replenishment from the province capital if in possession? Or from any other conquered region inside the province.

Second, would it be possible to split the replenishment of professional troops from levied ones?
    I here mean professional as in mercenaries and men living by the profession of soldier, and levies as in every man who actually has another profession but marches for war, no matter how trained or experienced he is.
    Fe.: "marian" legionaries vs "polybian" lergionaries

From what I´ve read mercenary or other professional forces (nearly) always had a certain infrastructure behind their deployment.
    Just take Alexander´s persian campaign into account, he had just recently captured Tyros and still was able to replenish and strengthen his forces with fresh mercenaries from mainland greece.
    He also constantly left behind garrison forces, most likely mercenaries, since his macedonians number pretty much the same throughout the campaign. Yet the mercenaries in his field army still remained relatively stable too.

Levies needed to be "persuaded", either by words or force, to take up arms. Their departure would take time.
    Professional forces were more easily recruited and replaced, since they wouldn´t be missed in civilian live.

So to sum up, if possible, I´d make replenishment possible in any adjacent regions for all forces.
    But for professionals I´d go as far as giving them "ability" to replenish when no adjacent region can supply manpower, but either a route by sea or by land is available and not blockaded by enemy forces.
    They should then IMO be substracted from the nearest possible settlement.

Best regards
    Last edited by Maetharin; February 19, 2016 at 05:25 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Would P++ work with personal changes to region ownership? Whenever I do randomly decide to play vanilla, I often change the starting provinces of Carthage, Rome, and Seleucid. For example if I give Rome Ariminum and Velathri at the start of the Campaign (deleting Estruca from campaign is the purpose as I change the start date aswell), would the mod know that this is a Roman territory at the beginning of the campaign now and not an Estrucan? Or would I need to trial and error edit the script?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

@Maetharin, that would add a whole heap of issues with adjacent region replenishment eg which region would the population come from and adds another layer of complexity which i dont think is really needed.

Replenishment is an army wide effect. Its not possible to restrict replenishment to certain units but not others. We did have a look if it were possible a while back though.

@ SquirrelP0acher, yes it will work with any region ownership changes you make like magic... but not magic . It will also be pretty easily moddable for those that want to integrate it into their own mods or make personal tweaked versions. I will write up instructions on how to mod this mod after release.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Oh yeah I kind of forgot^^
    And even more complexity wouldn´t be something we needed^^

Thx for answering so quickly
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Great job guys.

Why not make "Naval mercenaries/recruitment" only possible near the shore and normal recruitment only in the ports so that it can use the normal recruitment system. And simulates a realisticer way because how the heck can you recruit mercenaries in the middle of the sea!. if possible ofcourse but i do think it also adds a new realistic layer to the game and makes you think twice before sailing on open sea. And even if the AI can't handle it who care's the game is already to easy so why not help a little!.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Pee_Alot View Post
    Great job guys.

Why not make "Naval mercenaries/recruitment" only possible near the shore and normal recruitment only in the ports so that it can use the normal recruitment system. And simulates a realisticer way because how the heck can you recruit mercenaries in the middle of the sea!. if possible ofcourse but i do think it also adds a new realistic layer to the game and makes you think twice before sailing on open sea. And even if the AI can't handle it who care's the game is already to easy so why not help a little!.
    We wanted to stick with the current naval recruitment system, we definitely talked about and discussed various other solutions.

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

Awesome really takes the game to a new level of realism, especially in combination with the supply script from VV and DeI plus the new roman tech tree in VV. Can't wait