Thread: Bugs, Suggestions and Balance

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Bugs, Suggestions and Balance

Once we release, please post all bugs suggestions and feedback in here.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Bugs, Suggestions and Balance

Hey Magnar. Congratulations to you and every contributor.

I have a question if you don't mind that pertains to balance of the mod. Are there certain areas of the mod you would prefer to have tested more than other areas? For example when I've bug tested mods in the past I've been asked by the mod creator to do certain actions for x amount of turns or try to "break" the mod by pushing it into areas that normally wouldn't be done by the majority of the player base in order to find bugs. Since you know the mod more than most, are there certain gray avenues you would prefer to have explored?

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Long term campaign balance is the thing is like feedback on the most as we were kinda limited with number of long campaigns we could do in pre release testing.

Boli fraction is unfinished. The units are recruited from civitate instead pagi.

Great mod guys!

Could we possibly get a building that would increase emigration? So you can build this building in a certain city and it'll make it so that more of your dudes move to "border" towns (or the type of towns that you have created). There was once a building like this in a mod for Rome Total War 1. I'm imagining maybe a few different buildings that send different types of people to other cities.

Or there could be a building which would increase immigration. So you are basically telling all of those who will be leaving cities to come to this one city.

I think these would be a great addition because it's hard to build up your native population in new cities.

Lastly, it'd be interesting to see a change related to slaves. Maybe the creation of a fifth population group that are slaves instead. These slaves could fill "auxiliary" troops which have a low morale.

Thanks again for the work! Let me know if you have any questions about what I mean.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Tron9510 View Post
    Great mod guys!

Could we possibly get a building that would increase emigration? So you can build this building in a certain city and it'll make it so that more of your dudes move to "border" towns (or the type of towns that you have created). There was once a building like this in a mod for Rome Total War 1. I'm imagining maybe a few different buildings that send different types of people to other cities.

Or there could be a building which would increase immigration. So you are basically telling all of those who will be leaving cities to come to this one city.

I think these would be a great addition because it's hard to build up your native population in new cities.

Lastly, it'd be interesting to see a change related to slaves. Maybe the creation of a fifth population group that are slaves instead. These slaves could fill "auxiliary" troops which have a low morale.

Thanks again for the work! Let me know if you have any questions about what I mean.
    Good idea for the immigration building, but which building would it be linked to?

We won't add buildings to this mod as its meant to be highly compatible with other mods, though such a buildings would be a good idea for the VV or DeI implementation and would be relatively simple to implement.

As for an additional slave population, that wont be happening as we have no way to link the in game slave populaiton to the scripts slave population.

What if it's the trade center that's part of the Regional Capital? That makes a bit of sense I think just logically.

Would it be rude of me, rather than testing it myself, to ask what the mod achieves in certain circumstances? For example:

- As Rome, do you, fighting a lot of wars, deplete the Plebeians such that there are few options left? And then the Marian reform comes along and you can recruit Legionaries from the Proles? If so, awesome.
    - As Sparta, do you recruit a few Spartiates and realise you are again running out of Plebs, so are forced to use more helots and Periokoi? If so, awesome.
    - Does it have the effect that you need to recruit more auxiliaries / regionals because recruiting from just one spot becomes too costly in terms of balance of manpower in that region? If so, awesome.
    - Are the Balearic Isles, Crete and Rhodes rightly shown to have quite small populations? Therefore leaving you to recruit only the lower classes, where they have some excellent shepherds (archers and slingers)? If so, awesome.

I am, in general, looking forward to PoR coming to DeI. Just checking what to expect.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

For the dei version you should read the DeI forum, they have a lot of reports on how it plays with PoR2 in the 1.15 beta thread

This is from post #129 in the Discussion thread:

Few things i noticed and i am not sure if its working the same way as in grand campaign are: a) regular crashing when switching fast between cities and clicking on armies standing in those cities b)Is it normal that my army units replenish on military ally territories(if yes it's prolly mod breaking for me ).
    This is similar to my experience too with this mod. I've learnt to click slowly between armies and settlements when I use it. I've successfully started about 4 campaigns with this (with a few mods like unit size, slower battles, unit and building cards, etc, along with No Confederations; Your People's Trust and Populares vs Optimates), then abandoned the campaigns dozens of turns in because of the irretrievable crashes. In each campaign the crashes are anticipated by worsening campaign map stuttering for a few turns.

In the last crash everything was fine for over 60 turns until I sent a stack to Greece to help the Athenians. Fought a battle with heavy casualties and noticed that the army was replenishing on its way back to the coast. By the time it crossed the Adriatic to Bruttium* it had almost fully replenished. Then the game crashed in the AI turn. I tried reloading the autosave but the same happened thrice, so I unchecked it and the campaign was able to continue.

I saved the crash log in case you want it, though I'm not sure how to post MDMP files.

edit: *Brudisium, not Bruttium.
    Last edited by Theramines; April 30, 2016 at 08:17 PM.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

has anyone had a crash whilst using diplomacy with using this mod only? if so could you please send me your save file so i cant hunt down the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    has anyone had a crash whilst using diplomacy with using this mod only? if so could you please send me your save file so i cant hunt down the cause?
    Hello! I have experienced it! however, it is not recurrent, I mean, it has happened to me a couple of times, but when i reload and repeat the same action, the game does not crash again. The next time it happens, i will upload the savegame.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

thanks javi, we have since found and fixed the problem and will update a bit later

Can you confirm that the economical effects works?

I think that the unit creation/replenish system works but the regional economical effcets do not.

The UI says that my region (Pella) should have +%20 income from being a heartland and an another +%50 from being very dense city, HOWEVER, in region details these these effect do not show nor do they apply.

Also, the percentage of foreigners does not affect region status (heartland/subject/colonies etc.). > My newly conquered city has +%85 foreigner yet the ui says it is a heartland province.

Is it because the mod is outdated or am i doing something wrong?

(Great mod btw, thank you for your efforts Magnar. I really want this working )