Thread: How do I remove all regimental type names from ordinary units?

Icon5 How do I remove all regimental type names from ordinary units?

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone could show me step by step how to remove all identifier names such as "1st Regiment of Cavalry" or "23rd Regiment of Foot" and on and on and on. I do not like these names and they serve no useful purpose in a game that has units with special names (such as "1st Delaware"), which are also called "42nd Regiment of Foot" by the game for no reason whatsoever.

Militia is just militia to me, and same with line infantry, so how can I remove all these unnecessary regimental names so that I can later create units with special names when I become good enough to do that?

Does anyone know how to remove these regimental designations from the campaign game?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help with this problem! I could not find a tutorial on this.

Nordlaender

Default Re: How do I remove all regimental type names from ordinary units?

There should be a language file in Napoleon Total War/data, my german version is called local_ge, maybe yours is local_en. Check if there are patches (local_en_patch) and open the latest one with PFM NTW. Look if there is an entry called text. If there is, open it, if there is not search in the next patch or file. If you have found it, doubleclick on it and place your cursor at localisation.loc, then press control + x, there should now be a window. At the bottom in the left, there is a button called Create new Folder (or something like this). So you create a new folder and call it 'modification_regiment_names' (or something other) then press ok. Then click File -> New (left top in PFM) and add the Folder you created as the directory(double click on it when the window opens). Then click 'choose a pack action' -> add directory -> your mod folder.
    Now edit the values called unit_regiment_names_localisation_lookup_unit_name_??. If you are ready, hit choose a pack action -> Change pack type -> movie. Then save in Napoleon Total War/data. You wont need to edit the user.script, it will start automatically. I will be here for further questions.
    "You can ask me for anything you like, except time."
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    "If you want a thing done well, do it yourself."
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    "You don't reason with intellectuals. You shoot them."
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Hi Order of Shadows!

Danke sehr! Heute abend werde ich Irhe Anleitungen bald versuchen. Hoffentlich werden sie gutt arbeiten. Es tut mir leid, ob mein Deutsch nicht richtig ganuch sind. Es ist seit 30 Jahren seitdem ich deutsch gesprochen habe. Wenn die Anleitungen arbeitet, dann muessen Sie mir zeigen, wie mann positivishes "Rep" verlassen kann.

Icon14 Re: How do I remove all regimental type names from ordinary units?

Thanks Order of Shadows!

It does seem to be working, although I have not yet mastered it. It may be that I must substitute the word "Militia" for all 200 entries of "X Regiment of Militia". That could take hours unless I find a simpler way. I notice that at the end of each numerical listing, a generic listing is given for what I think is any units that go over the number of regiments listed. For example, if a unit is allowed 50 regimental numbers, the 51st unit will simply say "Regiment of Foot" or something similar.

I am trying to find a way to limit each unit to just one entry, like for "Irregulars", which have only one entry with a "_001" at the end. I'll have to experiment some more, but this is definitely what I have been looking for, so thanks a lot! I greatly appreciate the detailed explanation of how to do this. I would not have figured it out on my own. I can now move forward with making custom American units that existed at the start of 1783.

How do I leave +rep for a person here at this forum? Can someone tell me?

Again, thanks in advance.

Nordlaender

So at first, you should get the +rep for your german after 30 years
    For a +rep, simply click the green button in the bottom, at the left, of the post, which you want to reputate.
    I wish you good luck!
    "You can ask me for anything you like, except time."
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    "If you want a thing done well, do it yourself."
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    "You don't reason with intellectuals. You shoot them."
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it. I think I mispelled a word or two.

I noticed the green button, but it is under my name and not yours. Why would I give myself +rep? I want to give +rep to the person who answered my question. How do I do that? I don't understand why there is no green button under your name or your post. What happens if I push the green button under my name?

I'm sorry I don't understand. It just seems weird to me. Should I push the green button under my name? Will that help you? Let me know.

Hi Order of Shadows,

I want to know if this works the other way around as well. So if instead of removing regiment names, i want to increase the number of regiment names for a certain unit type, for example: from a maximum numerical name of "50th Regiment of Artillery" to "250th Regiment of Artillery", or do I have to edit some unit files for that as well?

thanks in advance

Or U can edit its name simply ingame by clicking on their name when the info panel of that unit is displayed. pu the cursor there and write whatewer