Thread: Does saving before a battle then reloading mess up the script activation?

Default Does saving before a battle then reloading mess up the script activation?

Sorry for all the posts lately, just got playing RS2 again. but I saved before a battle and auto resolved, and the outcome was ridiculous so I reloaded and played it (the AI attacked me) then when the turn was over I activated the script. Will that affect anything?

Default Re: Does saving before a battle then reloading mess up the script activation?

Quote Originally Posted by dustyn214 View Post
    Sorry for all the posts lately, just got playing RS2 again. but I saved before a battle and auto resolved, and the outcome was ridiculous so I reloaded and played it (the AI attacked me) then when the turn was over I activated the script. Will that affect anything?
    It **shouldn't do** - provided the script is run immediately afterwards; but......... <tinfoil>

However, I have always tried very hard to avoid this. I always try and finish my 'play' just before the End Turn and save then. Reload; run script; press end turn - carry on. Even to the extent of re-running a turn if I run out of time.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: Does saving before a battle then reloading mess up the script activation?

I would say, as ur Lord Tedric says, that this 'may' be OK. Generally speaking, however it can be dangerous. For example, let's say you clicked end turn, the AI attacked you, you auto-resolved, and decided that was ridiculous. So you reload and don't even get the chance to reload the script. I have actually SEEN this screw up my game as I observed a large number of very weird things happening...and this is because it was during an end turn.

So I would say you are 'probably' safe to do this IF it is not an end turn, but if it occurs during an end turn, definitely do not do it.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

My experience playing the Mod "Somnium Apostatae Iuliani" for RTW-BI, it's that it's highly dangerous trying to save before fighting any battle on the tactical map, don't ask me why, I'm a troglodyte in modding software, but I've experienced that it's highly probable getting a crash after the end of the battle if you have saved the game just before fighting the battle on the battle map.

neep's Avatar Tiro

Not sure if this is exactly the same scenario as the original post.

I usually save my game, hit "End Turn", and get attacked by the AI during 'her' turn.
    If it's a nasty looking battle I'll preemptively save just in case I mess up - that tends to happen a lot
    I then reload the game and try again, there's no opportunity to invoke the set up script at that point.
    Once the battle is finished and I have control of the campaign map, I then invoke the set up script.

I've never felt entirely comfortable with that but so far - no problems seen.
    Last edited by neep; February 09, 2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: entirely

Quote Originally Posted by neep View Post
    Not sure if this is exactly the same scenario as the original post.

I usually save my game, hit "End Turn", and get attacked by the AI during 'her' turn.
    If it's a nasty looking battle I'll preemptively save just in case I mess up - that tends to happen a lot
    I then reload the game and try again, there's no opportunity to invoke the set up script at that point.
    Once the battle is finished and I have control of the campaign map, I then invoke the set up script.

I've never felt entirely comfortable with that but so far - no problems seen.
    I've been playing it after that, everything seems to be normal except Sparta and Greece constantly make peace every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyn214 View Post
    I've been playing it after that, everything seems to be normal except Sparta and Greece constantly make peace every turn.
    I have the same issue but with Boii and Cimbri. I saved a lot before battles so this might be the reason.

Nope - that's the 'Survival Script' running. Terrible, I argued against it - but a bunch of you forum warriors wanted it so..........
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

The Spartan faction is a pain in a**; IMO keeping Sparta in RS - excepting the Spartan campaign, of course - is a waste of a precious slot in the hardcoded faction limit.