Default Re: The Quiz Championship

1.-a
    2.-d
    3.-a

1.a
    2.b
    3.b

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

Thanks guys.. in 1-2 days i will reveal the answers..

Ok answers time..

1 ) Yes he was in exile so all of you are right here.. correct answer A Congrats
    For the next 2 the answers will definitely surprise you. I know I did not expect those answers myself but that’s why I put them here so we all learn something interesting today
    2 ) Athenians managed to build a fleet of 104 trirems in a month.. so C (imagine.. almost 3 trirems per day..Probably an assembling line of ready parts was set in Piraeus like Carthagenians did in their capital as well)
    3) Believe it or not the average children of an Athenian family were 10.6 to 10.9 (you see no TV then.. ) and that’s why in Ancient Greece they could recover relatively fast from all those continuous wars. Imagine Greco-Persian, Peloponnesian, Boiotian , wars and then.. Alexander’s expedition and the Roman invasion.. Only during the last days of Hellenistic empires the population was in so bad shape that mainly mercs were used . So correct answer is E

I will soon take photos of the books and I will upload them (because some disbelievers question my sources ) but unfortunately although the literature is also foreign the text is in Greek. (You will get the picture though..)

Standings will be updated shortly but all of you get +1 point for the championship

Quote Originally Posted by Phalangitis View Post
    3) Believe it or not the average children of an Athenian family were 10.6 to 10.9 (you see no TV then.. ) and that’s why in Ancient Greece they could recover relatively fast from all those continuous wars. Imagine Greco-Persian, Peloponnesian, Boiotian , wars and then.. Alexander’s expedition and the Roman invasion.. Only during the last days of Hellenistic empires the population was in so bad shape that mainly mercs were used . So correct answer is E
    Wow, that's an impressive number. I suppose that this number concerns the birth rates and not every child that passed the age of early childhood, or otherwise Athenians would experience famines on a regular basis. I'm curious at how the ratio was determined? Is there any reference in the written sources or was the estimation based on archaeological finds, such as the number of burials?

I will post the page photo soon (i am at work still) with the explanations mentioned there..

I was a bit buzy with the final beta lately and i neglected the championship a bit. Today i will upload the textbook answers i owe you and the round 3 question..
    I would like to reach at least round 5 before we declare a winner.
    Cheers

The answers that i owe you..Sorry for the Greek i will try to explain
    1) 100 trirems in 30 days.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]
    [/IMG]
    The number 1000 is the talants used from Acropolis treasury. 30 are the days and 100 the ships. The historian is a well respected person called Sarantos Kargakos.You can google him

2) Number of kids
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here the writter is the well known Alain Bresson. The part in the box says that the averege number of children was 10 to 11. Below it states that if this sounds too much it was noticed also in 20th Century American Religious group called Houterites that did not practice contraception and lived like the ancient ways. Finaly it states some laws from Plato making rules for families with many more children to stop giving birth for 10 years..By the way in other parts of the book it says that never Hellenic world faced a problem of famine due to those numbers or births etc..(probably because of wars and rather conservative life styles..)
    Last edited by Phalangitis; February 19, 2016 at 12:00 PM.

3) Believe it or not the average children of an Athenian family were 10.6 to 10.9
    What about average children of an Spartan family?

That is a bit of a riddle since many newborn with minor (or bigger) health issues were left to die.. I would guess though that numbers would be close enough..

Round 3

1) Who was the Athenian general that arrived too late to protect Amphipolis ? ( 1 point)

a) Dimosthenis
    b)Konon
    c)Thucididis
    d)Lakedaimonios
    e)Nikias

2) Who were renowned for their skills in ambushing ? (2 points)

a) Epirotes
    b) Makedones
    c) Akarnanes
    d) Spartans
    e) Boiotians

3) What Ellians (faction of Ellis) did to provoke Sparta in a war before the battle of Mantineia ? (doubles the above total points)

a) Beat up a Spartan athlet in Olympics
    b) Refused to sacrifice to Heracles
    c) Refuse to follow Spartans in Attica
    d) Exiled local pro Spartan oligarchic families
    e) Imposed a "toll" for Spartans to all bordering temples thus insulting them and claiming those lands

Round 3

1) Who was the Athenian general that arrived too late to protect Amphipolis ? ( 1 point)

a) Dimosthenis
    b)Konon
    c)Thucididis
    d)Lakedaimonios
    e)Nikias

2) Who were renowned for their skills in ambushing ? (2 points)

a) Epirotes
    b) Makedones
    c) Akarnanes
    d) Spartans
    e) Boiotians

3) What Ellians (faction of Ellis) did to provoke Sparta in a war before the battle of Mantineia ? (doubles the above total points)

a) Beat up a Spartan athlet in Olympics
    b) Refused to sacrifice to Heracles
    c) Refuse to follow Spartans in Attica
    d) Exiled local pro Spartan oligarchic families
    e) Imposed a "toll" for Spartans to all bordering temples thus insulting them and claiming those lands
    1) c
    2) c
    3) a

1. c
    2. c
    3. a

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

1. a
    2. a
    3. e

I am deriving my facts for this quiz from 300, I expect good results!

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    1. a
    2. a
    3. e

Just like we modeled AoB after Troy, Exodus: God and Kings and The Scorpion King.

1 is c. Bad for him, but good for his Freizeit and whomever is interested in ancient history. No idea about the second. My answer would normally be the Thracians, since they wrecked the Athenians pretty badly on a colonial expedition before the war and the notion of lightly armored javelin-man (peltast) is derived from them.. Anyway, usually it's the tribal forces that excel in ambushes, so I'm divided between a and c. I will randomly choose c again. For the last one, I'll say e, because it sounds way too complicated not to be real and because it reminds me of something. Not 100% sure, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    1. a
    2. a
    3. e

Quote Originally Posted by Massicio2 View Post
    Just like we modeled AoB after Troy, Exodus: God and Kings and The Scorpion King.
    Hey dont forget Gods vs Titans..

Hey dont forget Gods vs Titans..
    We felt Liam Neeson's portrayal of Zeus was too historically accurate, sorry.

True i overlooked that part..
    + rep

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast