Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UConn to give segregation the old college try, or how the Board of Education of Topeka was right after all.

Default Re: UConn to give segregation the old college try, or how the Board of Education of Topeka was right after all.

The answer is no. So it's not a fair comparison, is it BWB?
    The Supreme Court ruling in 1954 failed to de-segregate school systems. Self/cultural-segregation persisted well into the 1960's (hence the civil rights movement). The confrontation only really occurred when there was an active policy of de-segregation began mainly in the LBJ years (with the noted exceptions of the Little Rock and Ole Miss riots which scared away both Ike and JFK respectively from comprehensive desegregation).

Active de-segregation through policy is still commonplace in the US. I grew up in schools where, to avoid all black schools, black children were split up (in roughly equal numbers) and bused outside of their neighborhood to the various public schools.

So, yes. Promoting self-segregation is a step back to the post-Brown but pre-Civil Rights era where it was clear segregation would essentially go on forever without active policies to stop it.
    Last edited by Sphere; February 03, 2016 at 09:36 PM.

Default Re: UConn to give segregation the old college try, or how the Board of Education of Topeka was right after all.

Long ago educational experiments of all African-American classes produced better grades. Isn't this why some intentionally attend African-American colleges, women's colleges, military prep schools, etc?

This is not forced but by choice. It's not segregation any more than choosing where to live in America. Many desire to be around others like themselves. Others like myself like the most diverse neighborhoods. So what?

Segregation resulted in less tax dollars to minority neighborhoods, poorly equipped classrooms, crumbling infrastructure, terrible apathy, exhausted burned out teachers, and discipline problems.

It would be a lie to absolve some minority groups who labeled themselves helpless victims, when other minority groups managed just fine, and who arrived later.

We have to be willing to emulate others' success, discard ridiculous social programs that have failed, and find positive ways to better educational opportunities...voluntary equitable ones.

There is more bigotry in the last twenty years than I encountered in the 90s.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; February 03, 2016 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    The Supreme Court ruling in 1954 failed to de-segregate school systems. Self/cultural-segregation persisted well into the 1960's (hence the civil rights movement). The confrontation only really occurred when there was an active policy of de-segregation began mainly in the LBJ years (with the noted exceptions of the Little Rock and Ole Miss riots which scared away both Ike and JFK respectively from comprehensive desegregation).

Active de-segregation through policy is still commonplace in the US. I grew up in schools where, to avoid all black schools, black children were split up (in roughly equal numbers) and bused outside of their neighborhood to the various public schools.

So, yes. Promoting self-segregation is a step back to the post-Brown but pre-Civil Rights era where it was clear segregation would essentially go on forever without active policies to stop it.
    I don't think this equates to promoting segregation.

I don't think this equates to promoting segregation.
    Well, I don't really know.

But the beneficial nature of self-segregation in black communities is a widely held political idea. Shopping at non-black owned businesses is frowned upon. Brands like FUBU are promoted. The black church system (AMEC) and Historic Black college systems are still prominent. Adopting a non-black dialect is considered "Uncle Tomming". It's rather unqiue to the black minority in the US and is a fairly large reason why black integration has been so difficult.

I think it probably is a bad idea.

Well, I don't really know.

But the beneficial nature of self-segregation in black communities is a widely held political idea. Shopping at non-black owned businesses is frowned upon. Brands like FUBU are promoted. The black church system (AMEC) and Historic Black college systems are still prominent. Adopting a non-black dialect is considered "Uncle Tomming". It's rather unqiue to the black minority in the US and is a fairly large reason why black integration has been so difficult.

I think it probably is a bad idea.
    I don't think OP intends to discuss whether it's a good idea or a bad idea, and I think comparing it to southern segregation is ridiculous.

Pardon not researching but how is this different from:
    Oregon State University will hold four racially-exclusive “Social Justice Retreats” focusing on “white privilege,” “microaggressions,” and “institutional racism” in the first month of 2016 alone.During the weekend of January 8-10, the university will have two retreats — one specifically for white students, “Examining White Identity in a Multicultural World,” and “Racial Aikido,” which is specifically for non-white students.
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/31/pu...tice-retreats/

This absurd stupidity has been going on for a while now and imo has reached critical, enjoy watching this video:

Start at 5:10 if you get triggered by feminist dung, or 12:14 if you don't have patience for an excellent video. Feminism is just an underliner, the SJ rubbishthink is what is dealt with in this video, also known as regressive. This mentality, these implementations are terrible for society.
    Last edited by Mithridate; February 04, 2016 at 12:48 AM.
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

Sounds insane to me, but I can't see anything about forcing anybody to go or do anything, so again, it would just be freedom of speech:

http://dce.oregonstate.edu/social-ch...ement/retreats

Fair point, makes it racial segregation and not forced racial segregation.

Genius
    Last edited by Mithridate; February 04, 2016 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Embarrassing spelling
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

The problem is the disease of Whiteness:

We cannot even begin to address symptoms, such as the racial achievement gap, if we do not address the underlying diseases of racism and Whiteness.
    ...and it's peer-reviewed: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...nalCode=cted20
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridate View Post
    Fair point, makes it racial segregation and not forced racial segregation.

Genius
    It makes it freedom of speech and expression.

And let's be honest. There's going be a lot of white women in this dorm.
    I think people have missed the implied point this raises right now. Who are they kicking out from one year to another to establish this. Students usually establish a pretty comfortable living community in dormitories, and this is the University going "No, screw off, blacks only."
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Many desire to be around others like themselves.
    Either race is meaningless or it has meaning. They are not being around people like themselves. They are being around people who happen to look a little similar due to coincidence. By this logic we should have blue-eyed-only dorms, dimpled-only dorms, red-haired-only dorms, etc. If these people admit that race is a valid form of discrimination then they shouldn't complain if people of other races stay away from them or refuse to give them Oscars.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    I don't think OP intends to discuss whether it's a good idea or a bad idea, and I think comparing it to southern segregation is ridiculous.
    But I will condescend to repeat that I am interested in what happens with this. And you must have missed where I invite others to comment on what they think of this. The success or failure of this venture could offers a profound insight our culture. Segregation is the US goes far beyond the black white divide, the Jim Crow laws of the South and the de facto segregation of North. We have had segregated neighborhoods for many nationalities and ethnicities for a long time. Well meaning people have had widely divergent ideas on how to deal with that, from forced integration to eradicate and homogenize society to building our political system around ethnicity. That's why I'm interested.

Now are you interested in actually discussing the topic?
    Last edited by Big War Bird; February 04, 2016 at 09:52 AM. Reason: personal reference removed
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    Either race is meaningless or it has meaning. They are not being around people like themselves. They are being around people who happen to look a little similar due to coincidence. By this logic we should have blue-eyed-only dorms, dimpled-only dorms, red-haired-only dorms, etc. If these people admit that race is a valid form of discrimination then they shouldn't complain if people of other races stay away from them or refuse to give them Oscars.
    Fair enough. You'd apply to an all female college or an all African-American one to prove a point?

Now me, I'd think it ridiculous, but I get it. Such were the challenges of restricted clubs at one time. Maybe some rare folks will demand to be housed in the dorm on principle?

By the way, race IS actually rather meaningless versus ethnicity. It's just that some human beings make a big deal about skin color.
    Last edited by Iskar; February 04, 2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: personal reference removed

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

I think the article is borderline hilarious and underlines how identity politics help people to waste money while shooting themselves in the foot. Black (male) students at UConn now have two choices when trying to form a social network during their years at college:

1) Establish a social network in socially diverse environment where people have a 82.5 % to complete their degree and become a future contact in their professional network.

2) Hang out with this genius with a pretty creative definition of racism and a 54 % chance of getting a precious degree... In puppetry.

Quote Originally Posted by OP Article
    Isaac Bloodworth, a sixth-semester puppetry major, however, ascribed opposition to the plan as simply racist.
    "The white portion of the University of Connecticut is probably not ready for it," he speculated. "You have people who are going to go against it because they are just racist and they see this as a form of segregation or that we’re getting better things than they are."

I can understand that it hurt to see such waste of money. But I see no point in indulging them in their self-victimization process. That people who are less stupid and aim to have a proper career are attacked and called "Oncle Toms" is a serious problem. But people who wish to self segregate should be welcome to do so as it mean that we have to see less of them in regular society.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    The problem is the disease of Whiteness:

...and it's peer-reviewed: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...nalCode=cted20
    Peer review mean that it is has been reviewed by the peers working in the field, it does not imply that the peers are actually reasonable people.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Isaac Bloodworth, a sixth-semester puppetry major,
    Sixth semester? Isn't that a junior?
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Peer review mean that it is has been reviewed by the peers working in the field, it does not imply that the peers are actually reasonable people.
    Following peer-reviewed nonsense is a hobby of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Fair enough. You'd apply to an all female college or an all African-American one to prove a point?

Now me, I'd think it ridiculous, but I get it. Such were the challenges of restricted clubs at one time. Maybe some rare folks will demand to be housed in the dorm on principle?

By the way, race IS actually rather meaningless versus ethnicity. It's just that some human beings make a big deal about skin color.
    I would not apply to such a college, because I have absolutely no interest in combating mythical issues such as sexism or racism. I'm just saying they are stupid, to be blunt. This is what happens when kids grow into adult bodies without gaining adult minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    But I will condescend to repeat that I am interested in what happens with this. And you must have missed where I invite others to comment on what they think of this. The success or failure of this venture could offers a profound insight our culture. Segregation is the US goes far beyond the black white divide, the Jim Crow laws of the South and the de facto segregation of North. We have had segregated neighborhoods for many nationalities and ethnicities for a long time. Well meaning people have had widely divergent ideas on how to deal with that, from forced integration to eradicate and homogenize society to building our political system around ethnicity. That's why I'm interested.

Now are you interested in actually discussing the topic?
    Sure mate. Universities are by definitions places of experimentation. Since nobody is being forced to do anything, what is the harm in experimenting with their hypothesis black students will make greater achievements in this scenario?

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Does exclusion based on race count as "forcing"?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast