Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Sweden

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Sweden

Lol why are you talking to yourself now visarion?
    Last edited by banskie100; June 13, 2017 at 09:00 PM.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Identity crisis.

Birger Jarl
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Actually based off of King Birger, but this would be the Swedish King's generic tier 1 look after King Eric the Survivor.

His crest is truly splendid ! You probably already thought about it but I wonder if these shoulder protections named "ailettes" in french were common in 1212 or if they appeared later on. It seems by the illuminations I have found that it is more a mid-XIIIth century to mid-XIVth century equipment, a period that is not covered by your early rosters nor the majority of your high ones, however I could be wrong. It is just a suggestion but the insertion of these ailettes to your assets could be a good way to add more variety to the knights' equipment.
    Here is a link that offers a good amount of representations of ailettes on illuminations :
    http://manuscriptminiatures.com/sear...ttes%22&page=1

Yeah, we don't particularly depict the early 14th century too much because they almost resemble the 13th century minus some introductions of armour like kneecops and spaulders. I'm very familiar with illuminations, and I've been staring at the stuff for two straight years now. For Sweden, I'm only paying attention to the art that comes directly there or around Scandia. France has a lot of quality illuminations like the Maciejowski Bible, but I think if you look solely at France for ideas, everybody in Western Europe is going to look French.

Yah some more colors! What unit is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight2708 View Post
    Yah some more colors! What unit is that?
    Ugh. You're right. It needs more yellow and blue.

These guys will be the Borg Swordsmen. In Old Norse, Borg means castle/stronghold/city/town/fortification.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Nice! Just dont give coas to bondir and militias etc. Also add some beards?
    Last edited by Linke; June 16, 2017 at 03:06 PM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    I think if you look solely at France for ideas, everybody in Western Europe is going to look French.
    Yeah. In fact, the primary official reason why King Haakon Haakonson of Norway declined the offer given by the King of France to transport and lead the french army to the crusade in the 13th century was because of the contradictory nature between Frenchmen and Norwegians, as King Haakon feared it could lead to irreparable damage along the way. To the people 750 years ago, it was not the same "Western European culture" that we have today.

Btw, those coat of arms shields in the other picture look a bit like two other Swedish shields from the 1380. Anyway, awesome stuff.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

@Linke, Beards in this game look a bit too overly exaggerated and Galatian with the exception of Charlemagne's beard, and they don't seem to fit any of the coifs without some obvious clip. They're not neat and trimmed.

Thanks Wille!

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    I love the way you used the mix of colours introducing also the Royal blue and yellow and red and yellow. It's nice to see some colour. It's like you see the Aurora for the first time. Are these mercs or smth? They don't seem Norsemen.
    Last edited by Visarion; June 16, 2017 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    I love the way you used the mix of colours introducing also the Royal blue and yellow and red and yellow. It's nice to see some colour. It's like you see the Aurora for the first time. Are these mercs or smth? They don't seem Norsemen.
    On the later half of the 13th century, a lot of Germans start migrating over to Swedish controlled areas to populate the cities after Birger Jarl's reforms. These people were referred to as "Knekts" by the Norse. With new people and culture brought over, it wouldn't be strange to see German styles of equipment used in Norse armies as depicted in the early 14th century. However, a lot of the new assets aren't borrowed by German art, these were replicated from a variation of Norse art.

Execpt idk do it really need more yellow and blue that was not that common during medievals and the armies where quite colourful, there was no swedish flag, only thing was really that the ruling houses sheilds had yellow and blue on them.

Laetus

Amazing work, I love that you use the coats of arms of Swedish medieval noble families for the infantry.
    However imo using an ä for the Frälse and Hälsinge hunters makes a big difference in terms of authenticity. Also longbowmen were called långbågeskyttar (like the Danish langbueskytter in the mod).
    Do you know when the next 1212 update is coming?

Thanks! I might eventually switch over to native names since my co-developers keep edging their way out of naming their units in the English language. I still have unique models to create for Sweden which is why I've been pretty quiet about its development. Update is possibly within a few to a couple of months. No promises.

Laetus

Amazing, I'm hyped!
    However, were the round shields of the viking age really completely phased out by the early middle ages? I have no idea myself, but in the Stainless Steel submod "Battle of the Baltic", there are units with that in early period.

Round shields in concept didn't phase out, but the round shields you find from the Oseberg ship burial would be outdated in the 13th century. Scandinavians still had their own unique look, just not the 7th-10th century look everyone imagine them to be.

Laetus

I like the faction, but it is very barebones compared to the bigger ones.

Some thoughts:
    High and Late period spearmen are necessary
    Elite archers (also in my opinion just calling the existing archer unit Levy Archers is better, all archers weren't from Hälsingland, and they weren't all hunters)
    More variation among the knights, as well as knights for all periods
    Early, High and Late bodyguard units

I made an album with some of the coat of arms used the nobility during the middle ages, and when they came into existence. More colorful units is (almost) always a plus imo.https://imgur.com/a/4Kixz95

I dunno if this is the right place to suggest it, or if it has been suggested before, but maybe the Swedish Knight Unit should be a top tier Elite unit? As knighthood in medieval Sweden could only be bestowed by the king himself, usually for great and valiant deeds on the battlefield (though of course there were some that got it simply because they got the kings favour). Thus it can be reasoned that many with the title of knight are the cream of the crop of the Swedish military elite, as it was a quite exclusive honorary title to have.