Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Sweden

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Sweden

To shed some light on Denmark in the starting period 1212. This is the period were Denmark in many aspect were the great power in northern Europe. Ended with the Danish defeat in 1227 at bornhøved (revolt by german vassals).

Denmark is both richer and much more populated than Sweden and Norway (don't have the source for this, I do believe that the Danish combined population was above the Norwegian and Swedish.)

As for troops in 1219, The so called Leding also mentioned by others. is peasents which is by law required to arm them self to some standard. (mostly Spear, Sword/axe, Shields and Bows) quality varied a lot, though it gave the Danish king access to large and cheap armies.
    Then there is the Nobles which is quite plentiful in Denmark compared to Sweden and Norway also had a duty to outfit soldiers, In this case it would be Cavalry (equal to what western Europe could field).

Denmark in this period also had access to regions outside Denmark, For example in the battle of Lyndanisse in 1219 Wendish troops from Rügen a Danish vassal were present. there is also German counties/duchies which by a golden bull in 1214 ceded all German territories north of the rivers Elbe and Eide to King Valdemar of Denmark.
    On the other hand Christianity probably have deeper roots in Denmark compared to Sweden and Norway, so pagan inspired troops is probably something they could field, but not so much Denmark.
    So the way I could see a Danish roster would be something like this:

Spear Infantry:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Spear Leding: A light armoured unit, can form shield wall (if that is a thing in Attila no idea) Cheap and plentiful, but nothing amazing. Can hold the line but if charged from behind they probably flee, Unit model would probably have round shields, so the bonus from shield/armour should be again be lower than a standard

Danish Spear infantry (can’t come up with a better name): Professionel troops in the King or nobilities service, Better armoured, think chain mail etc. A ?kite? shield, much like the Swedish models in the thread. Solid infantry you can rely on to hold the line. Possible regional varients could be: Slesvig, Nørrejylland, Sjælland, Fyn, Lolland and Skåne and maybe a royal one?.

German Spear infantry, Much like the Danish counterpart, regional varients would probably be: Dithmarschen, Holstein and Mecklenburg.

“Elite” Spear Infantry:

Royal Spear Infantry, The kings own guards etc. potential bodyguard, would say that the Danish King would probably be on horse so..

Wendish Spear Infantry: much like the royal, a better version of the German and Danish ones.

Infantry:

Leding: Much like the Spear leding, just equipped with axes or shields. Cheap and plentiful.

Danish/German noble retinue: If the nobleman chooses to fight on food, better armoured than the professional troops. Same variants as the professionals.

“Elite” infantry:

Kings Retinue, if the king decides to fight on foot, better version of the nobles, a bodyguard unit.

Wendish Retinue, Much like the kings, except not a bodyguard unit.

Missile:

Bow Leding: cheap peasent archers, I would say they should have normal range, even though there is some evidence of longbows in Scandinavia, the archers from Norway and Sweden should be better, there is more hunting opportunity. Again cheap and plentiful.

We know that the Wendish Prince protected his newly build castle with Crossbowmen in 1264 so the only bow unit should be the bow leding in my opinion.

Danish/German/Wendish Crossbowmen unit, Standard crossbowmen, regional variants same as the before mentioned.

Cavalry:

Noble Cavalry, Standard western European cavalry nothing fancy. Both German and Danish variants.

Wendish cavalry, better than the noble one.

Royal retinue, The primary bodyguard of the king etc.

Special:

Special units could be crusader units for use in the Baltic, however the Danish crusader armies consisted of Danish and Wendish nobles, and leding troops, not so much professional crusader units.
    Another Special unit could be natives recruited into the army, such as Estonian troops?
    Hirdmen unit, infantry with sword and shield/axe, good shock etc. from Denmark’s Viking past.
    Hirdmen with dane axe. Same as above but armed with a Dane axe.

The reason for the Wendish units being better than the Danish and German variants, is because what I have read about them, they seem to be mentioned to be better and very good and their “job”.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Yes Denmark had proffesional wendish warriors in the kings retinue at just this time period, distinguished at the battle of Lyndenäs 1219
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-in-the-Baltic

How is Norway coming along? Will Norway be playable in the campaign ?

Yeah, I'm working on the heraldic stuff for the Norwegians. The reason why I am slow in releasing the Norse is because they have a lot of unique stuff, and I wouldn't be happy to misrepresent them.

Sounds great! Keep up the good work.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

So wiki casually mention this:

The German and Scandinavian Medieval armies made extensive use of mounted crossbowmen. They would act not only as scouts and skirmishers, but also protecting the flanks of the knights and infantry, and chasing away the enemy light cavalry. When the battle was fully engaged, they would charge at the enemy flank, shoot a single devastating volley at point-blank range and then attack the enemy with swords, without reloading. The invention of ratchet cranequin allowed the mounted crossbowmen to use heavy crossbows on horseback.
    In typical fashion there's no sources. Anyone got any sources that specifically attributes mounted crossbowmen to the Scandis and Germans? Any time I've come across of the concept has been in combination with the hundred years war.

Either way it would probably require a new animation set and is therefore moot for this mod, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    So wiki casually mention this:
    would probably require a new animation set and is therefore moot for this mod, sadly.
    Actually, no. The crossbow animation in Attila works mounted too.

Citizen

That's totally weird and great actually.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hmm.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; September 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Citizen

Great as always willie

Here's one from Sweden:

From Olaus Magnus illusttive works from 1555. (Lots of random stories and random illustrations from the period, slightly too late for this mod though) I thought I read about swedish mounted crossbowmen during the wars between Sweden, Denmark and Norway in the 14th century but I cant really find the source.

Either way, I think we have established that the mounted crossbowmen was a fairly common late medieval unit and not something unique to germans or the scandis. If they were used as mounted infantry like the italians liked to do or part of the french lance is rather irrelevant as we cant really represent that with game mechanics anyway. But a late mounted crossbow unit, provided we have the animation should be pretty doable. Especially for the French, Italians, Germans and the Scandis since we got sources.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Mounted crossbowmen were also basic part of Polish cavalry tactics, they played important role in wedge-column formation, first ranks were made of knightes, then squires behind them and on the sides, mounted crossbowmen in the middle. This tactic later evolved in XVI-XVII century, where winged hussars were deployed in front ranks and mounted arquebusiers behind them, after they and enemy would fire a volley, winged hussars would close the gaps in formation and charge ahead.

Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Whats the current status of the faction atm?

Hasn't been molested too much recently. When my space and time isn't occupied by running, extra work shifts, and females, I'll try to crank out something before August.

they could add Finnish bowmen cavalry and Fingoloian horsemen

How are the Norwegians coming along?

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Norwegian cavalry and horse armour.

I was asked by sly to find some 15th century horse armour. Short answer is, I couldn't find any. Long answer, there is context that may weigh in.

I didn't find anything as of 15th century Norwegian horse armour, but there is context to be considered, which suggest there is more to it.

When horse armour is described, as far as I've looked, it's in a detailed account in the 13th century on how to armour your horse. We also have descriptions in the 14th century, that they begin to have an impact at later stages. Lastly, we see Scandinavian plated horse armour in the 16th century.

13th century

Konungs Skuggsjá (1250-60) account state how a horse should be armoured in detail. Here is a quick summery:
    1. A horse must first be covered in black gambeson, possibly decorated.
    2. Over that, mail over the whole horse.
    3. Then a layer of gambeson that covers the entire head of the horse and to the saddle.

That's basically the only mention of Norwegian horse armour, which means there is a lot we don't have good answer for.

Concept art
    One concept artists, who clearly used this as a source for a 1257 AD image, has chosen to display it like this:

Here is the seal of the king in 1285

14th century

Short answer is that tier 2 follow tier 1, in that cavalry was insignificant for the majority of the period. Some indication of the use of plate for the horse.

Hjalmar Falk, who studied the Diplomatarium Norvegicum (series of 19 000 Norwegian documents during the medieval period), stated that cavalry had no meaning in Norway until, at least late 14th century. (Etwas dieser beschreibung entsprechendes gab es gewiß damals in Norwegen nicht, da ja die Reiterei hier im Mittelalter, wenigstens bis gegen Ende des 14. Jahrhunderts, keine Bedeutung hatte.) He talks about some strange versions of horse armour that could be unique, some strange horse head protection and possibly a chest plate (gangarapláta) for the horse in 1331 (p.190-191, Altnordische Waffenkunde, Falk, 1914). We also know that the king ordered there to be garrisoned "good horses" in Norway's most important castle (Bohus Castle) during the the late 14th century, which may be an indication of an increased focus on mounted warfare.

The difficulty of translating Latin, 19th century academic German and old Norse makes this quite tedious to study.

15th century

Short answer, I have very little to go on. We have a fair number of knightly Norwegian warhammers/axe from late medieval period, which suggest plate was used in Scandinavia to the extent that they were considers appropriate. What exactly this means for 15th century plate armour for horses is up for debate. I can't provide an answer, so you'll have to interpret it to your liking.

Late Medieval Norwegian Warhammers/axe.
    EDIT: I'll also mention that the medieval period in Scandinavia end with the Reformation of 1537.

For the sake of context, early modern Norwegian Warhammers follows the pattern of earlier versions.
    16th century

We have a decent amount of Scandinavian 16th century plate in general, both higher and low tier equipment. Much of the horse armour is in Swedish museums. Some were property of the Swedish kings; and a lot are of unknown origin due to Victorian collectors who have donated to the Swedish museum. Some of which might be Norwegian or at least similar, because we know the Swedes looted Norwegian medieval plate objects during the modern period as trophies. [1] In any case, they may give context and serve as inspiration for 15th century horse armour.

Here are 16th century horse armour, from Livrustkammaren, Swedish museum[1]. Some are intentionally given a dark finish. The engraving and copper inlays are more a 16th century thing.

Either unknown origin or donated from various Swedish collectors.

Gifted from the Swedish royal family:

My personal opinion, if mounted knights are to be introduced in the tier 1 or 2 roster, is to make them viable, but not able to carry a game like continental knights. This could make the unit different from all other heavy cavalry in the game, which I think is a good thing.
    Firstly, drop their lances and only fight with sword/maces/axes. As a trade off, mailed horses. This trade-off allow the Norwegian unit to absorb the first enemy cav charge, and be viable. This is also in accordance with the sources, in that the unit fought (like a mounted infantry unit) and how the sources describe the armour of the horses.
    That said, you may disagree with this interpretation and that's also totally fine. It's part of what makes studying history so interesting, that we come to different conclusions.

Good luck.

EDIT:

Coat of arms:

part 01

-------------------
    part 02

part 03

rich farmers coat of arms (late), sometimes they used only singular colour.

Bishops ("norse war clerics" for you )

Knekts (these include a lot of German and danish coat of arms, who later became Norwegian nobility)

We also 1000s of other sigils like this or this, but those are without colours, unfortunately.

EDIT: All these are early, high and late tier mixed. I chose the heraldry that contain colours, but this means that some of them are made a bit later and so the design is slightly altered in some minor way. For example, a weapon inside the heraldry might look like a 16th century weapon. However in the the 15th century equivalent (which doesn't contain colours) we have a similar weapon that is more appropriate to that age.

This is royal norwegian coat of arms in high period, signifying the intermarriage between the Scandinavian houses.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...GelreNorge.jpg

The coat of arms for late period could be the coat of arms of Erik of Pomerania. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmar..._1382-1459.svg

Prominant individuals at 1212 AD

Family tree

King
    Inge

Heir
    Haakon the Old
    Superstar king

Jarl,
    Haakon the Crazy
    Ferocious traits, leader of the army, slightly unloyal

General
    Duke Skule
    Brother of the king, unloyal

Guest leader
    PeterStøype aka. Svina-Peter. aka. Peter
    Guest leader, General, and caretaker of the heir. Many other accolades.

Rebel
    Philip Simonsson
    Jarl

Jarls of Orkney
    If Norwegian forces are to be stationed around the Isles of Scotland, then you'd want to include Jon Haraldsson or David Haraldsson as generals. They were joint Jarls of Orkney and would contribute large forces when the king called upon them.

Overview of a Norwegian roster. tier 2 and tier 3.

There is a TLDR; followed up by a more beefy version to provide additional context.
    As a general reminder:
    My background is rooted in history. Ergo, I expect a lot, or all, of these suggestions to not make it into the game or be altered for what ever reason. For example in case they don't fit with the over all Medieval Kingdoms gameplay in mind or if it's too large. I have no problem with that or any other suggestion people may have about this interpretation of history. Feel free to speak your mind with what ever feedback you may have, I would be happy to hear it.

TL;DR

T2:

Tier 2 is represented by an increase of Germans from Lower Germany in the Norwegian roster. Also, some "what if" Norwegian units.

Norse Knights/Riddere - Norwegian Knights.

German Knekts - German Knights.

Armoured Hirdmen/Armigers infantry/Knekt Infantry - Medium melee infantry of high period.

Hansa Merchants - Light or medium crossbow and melee infantry. German.

Isle Men/Orcadians - Light or medium spear and javelin infantry. Norse.

T3:

Tier 3 is about a single Kalmar Union roster for all of Scandinavia. These are divided into modern royal forces, German mercenaries and -vassals, and lastly 3 regional militia.

Bondir (Late) - Light infantry with tilted axes and clubs. Cheap and poor moral.

Home Guard - Regular light melee militia. Pikes, spears, halberds, swords, shields, what ever works.

Swordstaff Militia - Late medium armoured sword-staff militia.

Armigers infantry/Knekt Infentry. - "Serjeants (Late)" or Men-at-Arms.

Handgunners - General handgunners.

Falconet - Light/mediumish cannon.

Mounted Crossbows.

Knights.

Great Men - Fully plated nobles on foot with large Scandinavian swords. Few in numbers.

Further reading:

14th century

This century is marked by a continuity of the Hird related units for the first quarter of the 14th century, slightly better quality. Then it disappears and the country become almost bankrupt after the Black Death, while seeing a steady increased reliance on foreigners. This meant an influx of German warriors (knekts) and merchants (the Hanseatic League). This influenced the artwork of the time (which were mostly done by Germans, painting warriors in continental armament). The court eventually consisted of Norwegian Knights and permanent retinues of German Knekts (mercenaries). That is a general Scandinavian trend, but it could be interesting to look at Norwegian options to separate it from the other Scandinavians.

Armoured Hirdmen /Armigers
    Serjeant infantry. Slightly better quality than prior Hirdmen (due to requirements to join were increased). This is the Norwegian version of German Knekt infantry, essentially the same quality troops, but different origin.

Norse Knights. I see two possible directions to take this mounted unit.
    The first option is to represent them as Norway that has conquered Scandinavia and has fully adopted the tradition of knights with lances, swords and all the pomp & flair that comes with it. This is a "what if" -unit and is virtually indistinguishable from a standard European knightly cavalry.

The second direction is to go for mounted knights of the late 14th century, we're talking heavily armoured knights in plate cuirass. To give it a "Norwegian touch", we're inspired by how axes were used by the Norse medieval bodyguards and extant survivals of Norwegian bronze maces: The unit is armed with high quality one handed axes and Norwegian bronze maces. They lack the powerful charge of knights with lances and is a unit that is unlocked late in tier 2. Possibly limited in number of high cost, but is instead decently armoured company of knights with plate and armour-piercing capabilities (operating like 'Norse War Clerics').

Historically, royal Coat of arms were at this point a mix between the Norwegian and Swedish, kinda like how English sometimes mix English and French coat of arms. Here is the seal of Duchess Ingeborg, you'll see the Norwegian Arms on the left and Swedish Arms on the right. An increase in red colour scheme would be interesting.

German Knekts, mounted and infantry.
    Norwegian knights as officers with a retinue of German mercenaries, kinda like "christian guards". Either Serjeants or knights, is up to personal preference.

Hansa Merchants - This unit consists of German Guildsmen and German mercenaries they hired to protect their interests.
    Hansa was a group of German merchants who banded together to protect each other's interest, both against pirates and kingdoms. The Hansa waged war against several North European factions, but they didn't operate as a territorial state. Their goal was often diplomatic in nature, to do with trade deals and changing laws which allowed them to dominate international trade (for example banning the construction of large ocean trade ships in Norway). They built guildhouses or offices (kontor) all across Baltic Sea harbors and were successful at fighting at sea. Specially when using Cogs against Long ships, which by the way, were getting outdated at this point. Building a Hanseatic ship building on the campaign mode can result in increase trade and able to recruit these Hansa Merchants, but severely lower authority of the king or similar bad traits for generals to simulate how crippling the laws from the guilds were on national productions (rip dragons ships).

A mix of slightly outdated equipment and more modern coat of plates, to represent the ad-hoc nature of guildsmen, pirates and mercenaries who acted in the service of the Hansae. Crossbows, targe/bucklers and Swords/axes could be a distinct possibility. This unit can be international, i.e. used by all Baltic, Scandinavian and Lowland factions, both as medium infantry and a ship unit using Cogs to great effect.

Other names that can be used is Bergenfahrer ('Bergen travelers' - 'Bergen Merchants')

Coat of arms of the Bergen office of Hansea. Mix of the German eagle and stockfish, one of the main export goods from western Norway.

Isle Men/Orcadians - A "what if" unit from the Norwegian western Isles.

If Norway were able to contest their claim against Scotland in the late 13th century, how would the 14th century Norse vassals look? How would Norway look if they were able to get a decisive foothold on the British Isles? The thing that is emphasized in the King's Mirror, when dealing with ship combat, were javelins and long pole weapons. I suggest 2 javelins and long spears, pikes or other pole weapons. Perhaps an ability to increase rate of fire so that the player can throw 2 javs in quick succession, but that's just a suggestion to make them slightly more unique. This can be a joint unit for both Norway and Scotland. Possibly also an AOR, mercenary or rebel unit. Both as infantry and ship unit on a Dragon Ship/Busse (large Norse transport ship).

The author of the King's Mirror opens the talk about ship combat as follows:

"But if the fight is on shipboard, select two spears which are not to be thrown, one with a shaft long enough to reach easily from ship to ship and one with a shorter staff, which you will find particularly serviceable when you try to board the enemy’s ship. Various kinds of darts should be kept on ships, both heavy javelins and lighter ones. Try to strike your opponent’s shield with a heavy javelin, and if the shield glides aside, attack him with a light javelin, unless you are able to reach him with a long-shafted spear. Fight on sea as on land with an even temper and with proper strokes only; and never waste your weapons by hurling them to no purpose." Then the author continue with other weapons, which suggest where the focus of Norse ship combat was.

15th century

Kalmar Union - Exactly how to do this is up for debate, but one solution could combine the units of the 3 factions in one general Kalmar Union -roster. You could also have a couple of units that are unique, or not, but that is up to personal preference.

General history and adaptation

The 15th century was the century of the Kalmar Union and rebellions. Generally one part trying to unite, the other trying to separate. Officially, it was a personal union between the Danish royalty, and 3 Scandinavian countries and German vassals. In reality, it was an unstable union of

* 3 Councils of the Realm that ruled independently, as kingdoms with headed by a council of stewards. Mostly Denmark in the front seat.
    * German lords of mostly Holstein, Slewswig, Lubeck and a weakened Hanseatic League, all with their own interests.
    * Persistent peasant uprisings across the realms. Mostly by Swedish, and to some degree Norwegian peasant, trying to separate. Also Danish peasants rising up over increase of taxes and new tyrannic laws of the nobility.

The levy armies of the past (Bondir) were gradually replaced by strict regular taxes. These taxes provided for professional forces of the royalty (or sometimes dukes) which were able to supply advanced technology (like gunpowder) and professional German mercenaries.

On the other side were the levies (Bondir), remnants of the past. These levies were only for defense and simply refused to cross into other countries. Think of it as a Home Guard. Participation was probably high, seeing as the penalty of absence was hanging (1428, Sealand, Denmark), which is in contrast to the earlier period where people were fined. This could be portrayed with large unit sizes and poor moral. Player should ideally be severely punished for taking them out on campaign, but it's understandable if that element is impossible to accurately depict. Relatively lightly armoured, even just padded armour. Plate cuirass only became common for rank-and-file soldiers (man at arms) in the mid 15th century. By 1490s, it became prevalent among all class' (such as Sworstaff militia), although the quality wasn't particularly good.

Landeværn (2)- Directly translated into "Home Guard", you can use which ever name you want. Possibly some form of halberd, pikes or other light troops. Danish.

Bondir (late) - Low quality 2 handed broad axes with a "broken head"(1)(2) and wooden clubs. Norwegian.

Swordstaff Militia - Late militia, as is shown in the 16th century image of Swedes fighting German mercenaries. Swedish.

Knekts (late) - German medium infantry and knights of Mekleburgh, Lübeck, Sleswig and Holstein. (Also Landsknekt, as mercenary)

Armiger (Late) - Armiger was the latin version of the word. The equivalent Norse word was Væpner, directly meaning 'armed', but you can use which ever word you prefer. It basically mean a serjeant type of soldier or man-at-arms between 1300-1500. For example medium armoured soldier with plate cuirass, armed with halberds, targe, bucklers, swords maces, etc.

Handgunners - General gunpowder unit.

Falconet - Late 15th century cannons.

Mounted Crossbow - General mounted crossbows, very often depicted with Swedish forces in stories, but can be used for all factions. Swedish

Knights - Standard continental cavalry. Danish.

Great Men - Large Scandinavian 2 handed swords (2), full plated nobles on foot. Maces if on or horse. The units should have sallet of the German fashion. Norwegian and Danish.

Misc.
    Norwegian plate

If you wish the make Norwegian plate more unique then other armour, then you can include simple 'charm' inscriptions or other religious mottoes. These were historically done with drypoint engraving it on critical areas of the armour. These can be writeen on the breast plate, shoulder areas or other surfaces which were going to take damage, as a form of spiritual protection. Here are examples, both the historical version or the English version. Very simple, jet meaningful to the individual soldier:

'Ave Maria' - ('Hail Mary')
    'Ave Dne' - ('Ave Domine' - 'Hail Lord')
    'Avant' - ('Forward')
    'YHS' - ('Jesus')

Religious iconography on the armour is also a possibility. Source

You can also use some of these if you find some that are of a basic design, such as a cross or simple axe (a common mark of St Olav) for the same purposes.

Drypoint etching was probably imported from Italy in late 15th century to Germany. It became popular in the 16th century, so limited use is warranted.
    Source This particular extant survival is probably from the early 16th century and we can see the same depictions of saints on armour.

Bondir, Long bow Bondir, Spear Bondir, Atgeir Bondir, Vaepnere, Crossbow Vaepnere, Riddere, Foot Riddere, Knekts, Svenner, Foot Svenner, and Orcadions

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; October 21, 2016 at 11:22 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Supposed battle of Brunkeburg. Can anybody help me find out where this image comes from?

Last edited by Slytacular; September 29, 2016 at 12:09 AM.

hessam's Avatar Miles

it's from the book "Battles of the Medieval World 1000-1500" by Kelly Devries and some other authors.

the book's basically an illustrated description of twenty important battles: Hastings 1066, Legnano 1176, Hattin 1187, Arsuf 1191, Chateau Gaillard 1203-4, Constantinople 1203-4, Bouvines 1214, Leignitz 1241, Peipus 1242, Malta 1283), Bannockburn 1314, Slys 1340, Crecy 1346, Najera 1367, Nicopolis 1396, Tannenberg 1410, Agincourt 1415, Vitkov 1420, Constantinople 1453, and Brunkeberg 1471.
    Last edited by hessam; September 29, 2016 at 06:17 AM.

Of course that book has no preview to it either. Still, is that picture a legitimate source from the 15th century, or is it drawn after the 15th century?

hessam's Avatar Miles

I'm not sure about that but the author, Kelly DeVries, is a notable historian specialized in medieval warfare. I think he'd know what he's talking about.
    Anyway I just emailed him and asked about the source. I'll let you know if he replies.