Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness next victim: Comedy. Towards a Orwellian nightmare?

Default Re: Political Correctness next victim: Comedy. Towards a Orwellian nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    No, I am saying that Basil's explicit example has nothing to do with political correctness, and in general he has no examples to back up the outright paranoia of this thread.
    Ok.

So moving on from there, would it be a fair statement to say that you would agree that political correctness has, at least on certain occasions, had a negative influence over certain events? If the answer to this question is yes, then at least we might be able to agree that there is a point of contact, however small, between the opposing views in this thread.

With reference to Basil, I agree that he has made a number of faux pas in his posts and it is fair for you to highlight them. That said, in the interests of allowing this discussion to progress, I believe it is largely irrelevant if he himself has not provided you with any examples to back up what you term as being the "outright paranoia of this thread" if others have filled in for him with sourced evidence. I think you do your own position a disservice by seemingly choosing to ignore evidence that ostensibly contradicts your legitimate point of view.

Default Re: Political Correctness next victim: Comedy. Towards a Orwellian nightmare?

^ You are waay too intellectually honest for Ferrets, nonetheless I appreciate your disposition and I'd gladly discuss any criticism you want to make to my thread.

Never mind political correctness, someone is facing a copyright strike for the thread title!

Mr. Cleese is also far more thoughtful than "PC is evil" and destroys everything.

If you are having trouble with PC it is time to consider that you might not be fit for public debate since you lack the rhethoric skills to be subversively offensive like a good cynic should.
    Last edited by Mangalore; February 04, 2016 at 07:24 AM.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Uhm? I'm actually quoting him about the title.

Didn't reference it though, did you? That'd be plagiarism mate. You then went on to totally misinterpret what he's stating to abuse it for your own agenda.

"Political correctness which is taken from being a good idea, which is let's not be mean and vindictive to people which are not able to look after themselves very much. That's a good idea."

So... in your own source, John Cleese defends the notion of political correctness as a good idea. And you chose not to share this.

Truly pathetic, even by your own standards.
    Last edited by removeduser_487563287433; February 04, 2016 at 11:36 AM.

Ohh Ferrets do not accuse me of doing things you do.

N.1 It is highlighted in the OP.
    N.2 I did not leave out any part because in the OP because this is the OP I quoted fully, unlike you.
    And you chose not to share this.
    And that's why I've been warned recently don't to go to most university campuses because the political correctness has been taken from being a good idea, which is let's
    Yes Ferrets.
    ''from a good idea'' is in the OP you didn't even bother to read before accusing me of omitting information. Once again this is not me, it's you.

Roooooooooooooooooooooofl.

Can you please read posts fully before making retarded accusations and get disproven so easily?

Jesus ing christ.

So... in your own source, John Cleese defends the notion of political correctness as a good idea.
    You haven't even finished embarassing yourself that you do it again.

Let's read the quote:
    to the point where any kind of criticism or any individual or group could be labeled cruel.
    Read the full sentences. This is primary school level. Then again so are your posts.

At least you have proved you didn't even bother to read the OP so whatever moot statement you made about it was out of bias towards the person who posted it.
    That's what you get from jumping in with retarded statements.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; February 04, 2016 at 01:58 PM.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

I can accept it to a degree if black people don't want to be called "negroes" or "" or that feminine articles should be used alongside male articles and stuff like that. But what is observable at present goes far beyond that. We have entire books from earlier eras of modern history that are to be censored, we have movements demanding feminine symbols on traffic lights, every other sentence is suspected to contain ressentiments, etc.

I think the origin of that may be actual empathy that is being projected on people who are complete strangers and therefore arguably empathically meaningless. But what can be observed on top of that is a form of subtle bullying that is born out of a hysterical undertone in modern society and that enables crusaders of righteousness who actually just feel the need to bloat their meager sense of self worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    Mr. Cleese is also far more thoughtful than "PC is evil" and destroys everything.

If you are having trouble with PC it is time to consider that you might not be fit for public debate since you lack the rhethoric skills to be subversively offensive like a good cynic should.
    Yea, like Dawkins and Hunt for example Or like the entirety of the Swedish Democrats holding 25% of the voters support in Sweden. I mean, it is apparently completely understandable in general to employ violence and bigotry against such people but not them holding "offensive" views and supposed bigotry.

What he says is that we should avoid offending for the sake of offending, especially for those incapable of looking after themselves ( such people need help ). Anyway, I am having trouble comprehending if you are saying those not liking PC should stay out of debate, or praising those able to be offensive whilst making solid arguments.
    So... in your own source, John Cleese defends the notion of political correctness as a good idea. And you chose not to share this.
    This is fundamentally misleading, as he is clearly against PC ( the point of the video ) but was supportive of the original notion of not being mean to people not able to look after themselves.
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    I can accept it to a degree if black people don't want to be called "negroes" or "" or that feminine articles should be used alongside male articles and stuff like that. But what is observable at present goes far beyond that. We have entire books from earlier eras of modern history that are to be censored, we have movements demanding feminine symbols on traffic lights, every other sentence is suspected to contain ressentiments, etc.
    What books are being censored? And so what that there a movements demanding whatever symbols? Are people not allowed to express what they think would be more inclusive or what they find offensive, is there something wrong with that?

I think the origin of that may be actual empathy that is being projected on people who are complete strangers and therefore arguably empathically meaningless. But what can be observed on top of that is a form of subtle bullying that is born out of a hysterical undertone in modern society and that enables crusaders of righteousness who actually just feel the need to bloat their meager sense of self worth.
    The hypocrisy is that youre the one complaining about people speaking up for their beliefs. And speaking of hysteria - the OP of this thread is actually comparing the situation to an Orwellian society. Pretty obvious then which side it is thats bloating their sense of self worth considering that kind of rhetoric.
    "Nobody is right, but historians are more right than others"

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Ok.

So moving on from there, would it be a fair statement to say that you would agree that political correctness has, at least on certain occasions, had a negative influence over certain events?
    I think it would be fair to say that political correctness has a negative influence when it results in actual censorship. The problem is that people don't seem to know what censorship really is. Like with The Vagina Monologues case discussed earlier, people claimed that Holyoke was censoring the show. In actuality, the show was just cancelled. If students at that campus are upset with that outcome, they totally have the right to complain about it to their dean. However, it wasn't censorship. Students who were upset that the college cancelled the show could have put on their own show of The Vagina Monologues if they wanted. If the college was censoring The Vagina Monologues, students would have been forbidden to perform the show under threat of punishment.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridate View Post
    ...This is fundamentally misleading, as he is clearly against PC ( the point of the video ) but was supportive of the original notion of not being mean to people not able to look after themselves.
    Which is PC.

To me it us a non debate. If you fail at being offensive without being PC you suck at life or rethoric more precisely. You can be completely PC and still degrade someone as a dung beetle. It's really easy.

Oh, people whine! Yea, and more people whine about PC. So ultra PC people and non ultra non PC people whine about each other. Big surprise.
    Last edited by Iskar; February 05, 2016 at 07:44 AM. Reason: insult removed
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Which is PC.
    Explain as you are not making sense.
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sire Brenshar View Post
    What books are being censored? And so what that there a movements demanding whatever symbols? Are people not allowed to express what they think would be more inclusive or what they find offensive, is there something wrong with that?
    Why so defensive? Any problem with the fact that i publicise my opinion?

The hypocrisy is that youre the one complaining about people speaking up for their beliefs. And speaking of hysteria - the OP of this thread is actually comparing the situation to an Orwellian society. Pretty obvious then which side it is thats bloating their sense of self worth considering that kind of rhetoric.
    Oh that's a problem? Why? Are we to acknowledge you as a new 1 man religious minority or something?

Pls say something worthy of a fart and i will give it. Unless this standard hasn't been met by your side i have my focus on less smelly garbage.
    Last edited by swabian; February 04, 2016 at 05:05 PM.

Which is PC.

To me it us a non debate. If you fail at being offensive without being PC you suck at life or rethoric more precisely. You can be completely PC and still degrade someone as a dung beetle. It's really easy.

Oh, people whine! Yea, and more people whine about PC. So ultra PC people and non ultra non PC people whine about each other. Big surprise.
    Incomprehensible ramble.
    Last edited by Iskar; February 05, 2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: continuity

Orwell description is based on government enforcement of thought control. What we see now is private endorsement, doesn't match the narrative of the OP.
    Last edited by Yayattasa; February 04, 2016 at 05:28 PM.

Why so defensive? Any problem with the fact that i publicise my opinion?
    Uh, Im not at all being defensive.

But to go back to the questions posed: what books are being censored; what is wrong with people wishing for more inclusive public symbols?

Oh that's a problem? Why? Are we to acknowledge you as a new 1 man religious minority or something?
    Wut.

No its not a ''problem'', its hypocritical. Do you always require that people repeat things to you?

Pls say something worthy of a fart and i will give it. Unless this standard hasn't been met by your side i have my focus on less smelly garbage.
    You're not very good at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    Orwell description is based on government enforcement of thought control. What we see now is private endorsement, doesn't match the narrative of the OP.
    Every claim the OP made has turned out to be outright wrong or badly understood from the outset.

Quote Originally Posted by Sire Brenshar View Post
    Uh, Im not at all being defensive.
    You're being defensive again lol.

But to go back to the questions posed: what books are being censored; what is wrong with people wishing for more inclusive public symbols?
    I didn't say it is law i said that some people want it to be law.

Wut.

No its not a ''problem'', its hypocritical. Do you always require that people repeat things to you?
    You can't even clearly state what you mean. What is hypocritical?

You're not very good at this.
    You probably woulnd't notice.

Every claim the OP made has turned out to be outright wrong or badly understood from the outset.
    Can you even repeat what has been claimed in the OP?
    Last edited by Iskar; February 05, 2016 at 07:48 AM. Reason: consecutive posts merged

You're being defensive again lol.
    OK so lets say I was - whats your point? Am I now culpable? Because I dont think you understand the meaning of the term.

I didn't say it is law i said that some people want it to be law.
    What I dont get is why you assume I wont just quote your previous post to demonstrate how you are lying. As it is:

''We have entire books from earlier eras of modern history that are to be censored''

Also notice how I didnt say anything about any laws:

''But to go back to the questions posed: what books are being censored; what is wrong with people wishing for more inclusive public symbols?''

Back your claims, elaborate on your opinions. Otherwise admit to lying. This shouldnt be so difficult!

You can't even clearly state what you mean. What is hypocritical?
    ''The hypocrisy is that youre the one complaining about people speaking up for their beliefs'' is not clearly enough stated? Do you actually require me to dumb the meaning of it down for you?

You probably woulnd't notice.
    It is painfully noticeable, sorry.
    Last edited by Sire Brenshar; February 04, 2016 at 06:30 PM.

Can you even repeat what has been claimed in the OP?
    No, not really, because I have made it clear I believe OP never had a point. I believe Basil is using political correctness as a meaningless short hand for "anything I don't like" while ironically essentially calling for censorship against these things he doesn't like. But here's a summary of all the flaws we've pulled out of the corpse of the OP:

- Basil said Cleese has said the world is becoming illeberal (sic) through political correctness, beginning with college campuses. However, Basil chose not to source the original video, where Cleese defends political correctness as a good thing, is not saying the world is becoming illeberal but is saying that humour can only survive through criticism and potentially offence, and that humour creates perspective, and he only brings up campuses in a passive anecdotal reference, not the basis for his point.
    - Basil claimed Cleese has said he will no longer perform at colleges. This was an invention of Basil's.
    - Basil claimed the 2007 Muhammed controversy was somehow the precedent that led to what he perceives as SJWs. He offers not rationale for this belief.
    - Basil claimed that the Vagina Monologues had been banned from a college. This was an invention of Basil's.
    - The rest of the OP is a collection of complaints over perceived slights and lists of other people expressing freedom of speech (i.e. the safe space issue) that Basil doesn't like.

And then finally in hilarious hysteria, Basil declared the death of freedom of speech, press and comedy.

I think that's a fair summary of how... just... ing awful... this thread is. There's a reason everybody is basically turns to take a shite on this all.