Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness next victim: Comedy. Towards a Orwellian nightmare?

Default Re: Political Correctness next victim: Comedy. Towards a Orwellian nightmare?

Don't you dare oppose PC or you're a loser racist on the wrong side of history.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Political Correctness next victim: Comedy. Towards a Orwellian nightmare?

This is an interesting OP, but I think it's greatly exaggerated. Freedom of speech clearly is not dead - you only have to watch a few comedy shows to see that. Comedians insult politicians and the government all the time; they are not sent to jail or punished in any way. I do agree with John Cleese in that clearly political correctness is taken too far in some cases, and obviously there are extreme examples where absurdity results. But overall and in general, I'd far rather live in our modern society than at any time in the past.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    This is an interesting OP, but I think it's greatly exaggerated. Freedom of speech clearly is not dead - you only have to watch a few comedy shows to see that. Comedians insult politicians and the government all the time; they are not sent to jail or punished in any way. I do agree with John Cleese in that clearly political correctness is taken too far in some cases, and obviously there are extreme examples where absurdity results. But overall and in general, I'd far rather live in our modern society than at any time in the past.
    Or, you know, North Korea as of the present time.

To add to the lengthy list of flaws Basils attempt at an OP has:

Cleese did not say he would no longer work with the BBC over ''political correctness'' but because of his unfamiliarity and lack of interest with their programs.

He also did not say he would no longer visit campus colleges due to ''social justice movements'', thats a misappropriation. He was rather warned that the sometimes overly politically correct climate in colleges make for bad audiences.

At what point will inventing and exaggerating events alert the person that they are wrong?
    "Nobody is right, but historians are more right than others"

Quote Originally Posted by Sire Brenshar View Post
    At what point will inventing and exaggerating events alert the person that they are wrong?
    That's the million dollar question. Day after day posters like Basil get shown they're lying about things, yet their views don't change.

So Ferrets do you have anything to add besides childishly trying to have the last reply and trying to smear people's reputation? Because that's generally half of your posts.
    Zero insight but you must get the last reply so that in your mind you won a debate on the internet.
    I have already asked you not to spam my threads with that kind of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    Well it is hyperbolic but this is more to encourage the discussion on how far it will go. Because again, youth are the future and if the future political discourse, among other things is dominated by this kind of censors on the basis of ''feelings hurt'', the dystopia is around the corner.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; February 02, 2016 at 07:52 PM.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

At the end of Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury rakes through the coals, every University dean and minority group that ever bothered to write to him with a complaint, or insist on changes. It's pretty epic.

"Do you begin to get the damned and incredible picture? … The point is obvious. There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches.”
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    So Ferrets do you have anything to add besides childishly trying to have the last reply and trying to smear people's reputation? Because that's generally half of your posts.
    Zero insight but you must get the last reply so that in your mind you won a debate on the internet.
    I have already asked you not to spam my threads with that kind of crap.

Well it is hyperbolic but this is more to encourage the discussion on how far it will go. Because again, youth are the future and if the future political discourse, among other things is dominated by this kind of censors on the basis of ''feelings hurt'', the dystopia is around the corner.
    Your entire OP was horse shite. A shrill collection of lies, pitiful inability to understand the points Cleese was making, and a transparent effort to appropriate other thoughts and positions to your own basic anger that you get criticised when you act badly, in itself, freedom of speech.

You know what should be more concerning then the self-censorship of comedy? The parallel societies PC creates. The liberal crowd alienated so many people who all form their own parallel societies since human nature doesn't change and their needs for a moral framework have to go somewhere. And guess what, these pseudo-elites pushing this feel good garbage on the unenlightend middle and lower classes, they don't need to suffer the consequences of their ideology that imposes an ideology that is opposed to reality on the people, since what can't be factualy correct needs to be politicaly correct.

The next stage is that you need to go to some speak easy underground club when you wanna see Bill Burr and the club is protected by some biker gang to keep the PC Police enforcing PC laws away.

So... You're angry they're expressing an opinion? I.e. Freedom of speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Raubritter View Post
    You know what should be more concerning then the self-censorship of comedy? The parallel societies PC creates. The liberal crowd alienated so many people who all form their own parallel societies since human nature doesn't change and their needs for a moral framework have to go somewhere. And guess what, these pseudo-elites pushing this feel good garbage on the unenlightend middle and lower classes, they don't need to suffer the consequences of their ideology that imposes an ideology that is opposed to reality on the people, since what can't be factualy correct needs to be politicaly correct.

The next stage is that you need to go to some speak easy underground club when you wanna see Bill Burr and the club is protected by some biker gang to keep the PC Police enforcing PC laws away.
    Tbh South Park's last season was spot on the reasons the ''elite'' pushes political correctness.
    The enemy of the season are ''ads'', but in the real world, ''ads'' are simply made by people behind them. Advertising a healthy society where nothing wrong happens, everyone is happy is definitely one of the goals of the elite, and hiding the ''dirty side'', all their mistakes, the problems caused by their decisions is a primary imperative. PC parallel societies are indeed the final objective. What is dubbed as ''inclusiveness'' is ultimately a place where diverging opinions are removed, so that noone ever gets hurt, because everyone thinks the same, as robots.

Have you seen the finale basil? They basically express they understand the PC crowd has noble intentions even if they disagree with their methods, and it's PC principal who defeats the ads because his intentions are sincere, he wants what he preaches to be real, not just a commercial utopia.

Believe it or not I did my dissertation partly on South Park.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    At the end of Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury rakes through the coals, every University dean and minority group that ever bothered to write to him with a complaint, or insist on changes. It's pretty epic.
    Fahrenheit 451 isnt actually about censorship according to the author apparently BTW.
    "Nobody is right, but historians are more right than others"

Tbh South Park's last season was spot on the reasons the ''elite'' pushes political correctness.
    Ive seen it. The adults become liberal s who think they are smarter then everyone else, forgett their basic virtures, suck up against a bunch of drug addicted homeless people and their children form the Ninja Gang securiting their own territory cause everyone thinks they are ISIS. As a whole, it was a very clever episode showing us humoristicaly what happens every single time a society becomes affluent enough that they can afford a lifestyle that is rather therapeutic but has no base in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Have you seen the finale basil? They basically express they understand the PC crowd has noble intentions even if they disagree with their methods, and it's PC principal who defeats the ads because his intentions are sincere, he wants what he preaches to be real, not just a commercial utopia.

Believe it or not I did my dissertation partly on South Park.
    Did I ever doubt their intentions? And yes, PC principal has at the very least positive ones, something that Cleeve himself admits of political correctness in the OP, but it is pushed too far and enforced in what is by definition a fascist method, through violence, intimidation, censorship and contraddictory behaviours.

Indeed one of his most immediate targets is Kyle who is easily the most ''liberal'' character in the whole show.
    A perfect example of what I am saying. Despite the noble intentions as you call it, the very first victim of political correctness (PC principal) is liberalism (Kyle).

Exactly the point of my thread.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Quote Originally Posted by Sire Brenshar View Post
    Fahrenheit 451 isnt actually about censorship according to the author apparently BTW.
    It's primarily about suppression of dissenting ideas. In our modern societies, this is often starting on college campuses, followed by social media and then the dinner table. But it's the fact of where it is starting, that is most worrying. Those are the exact places where different ideas need to be debated, and even accepted, despite how much you might not like them.

When comedians cannot push the boundaries then we have reached a critical time in highlighting the issue and clawing back some common sense from these children that were clearly sheltered too much.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Did I ever doubt their intentions? And yes, PC principal has at the very least positive ones, something that Cleeve himself admits of political correctness in the OP, but it is pushed too far and enforced in what is by definition a fascist method, through violence, intimidation, censorship and contraddictory behaviours.

Indeed one of his most immediate targets is Kyle who is easily the most ''liberal'' character in the whole show.
    A perfect example of what I am saying. Despite the noble intentions as you call it, the very first victim of political correctness (PC principal) is liberalism (Kyle).

Exactly the point of my thread.
    Ok so who is enforcing what, explicitly? Because I can only see you whining aimlessly against the umbrella term "PC".

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Ok so who is enforcing what, explicitly? Because I can only see you whining aimlessly against the umbrella term "PC".
    PC principal is a social justice warrior, college student (just like real world social justice warriors) or right out of college using violence and intimidation to impose his views.
    They even parodied the hunger strike at the University of Minnesota with ''hunger of pussy'' strike in one of the last episodes.

So, Social Justice Warriors are presented as angry, hypersensitive college students imposing their politically correct views on everyone via fascist methods, eg demanding to censor the Vagina Monologues because it's ''transphobic'', and similar nonsense that I have listed in the OP.

Now, censorship belongs to totalitarian regimes. If the pc crowd doesn't like certain comedy or feminist writings, they are welcome to express their dissent but they cannot, in any way, demand that other people should be prevented to attend certain events. That is not liberalism.
    Expressing dissent is freedom of speech, demanding censorship is not.

Is that clear enough for you or should we call an elementary school teacher with visual aids? So much for that dissertation.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; February 03, 2016 at 01:01 AM.

PC principal is a social justice warrior, college student (just like real world social justice warriors) or right out of college using violence and intimidation to impose his views.
    They even parodied the hunger strike at the University of Minnesota with ''hunger of pussy'' strike in one of the last episodes.

So, Social Justice Warriors are presented as angry, hypersensitive college students imposing their politically correct views on everyone via fascist methods, eg demanding to censor the Vagina Monologues because it's ''transphobic'', and similar nonsense that I have listed in the OP.

Now, censorship belongs to totalitarian regimes. If the pc crowd doesn't like certain comedy or feminist writings, they are welcome to express their dissent but they cannot, in any way, demand that other people should be prevented to attend certain events. That is not liberalism.
    Expressing dissent is freedom of speech, demanding censorship is not.

Is that clear enough for you or should we call an elementary school teacher with visual aids? So much for that dissertation.
    No it's not clear. You seem to be saying that SJWs are expressing their views, as they see it, and you are not establishing who is enforcing what like I asked. Seems like you're pissed at a lack of censorship of SJWs than you are any actual censorship being put in place.

Social Justice Warriors both demand censorship (the hunger strike to have ''safe spaces'') and enforce it whenever they have the power to do it (the ban of Vagina Monologues).

It's an ongoing quest to increase their power to censor.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; February 03, 2016 at 02:33 AM.