Thread: Plumbata Rack

Stealth4Health's Avatar Civis

Default Plumbata Rack

I am working on a new oval shield for some Legio Palatina units with a Plumbata rack in the hollow of it. So I thought I could need some advice on how to do the rack. In most pictures I have seen, the rack looks like this: http://imgix.scout.com/137/1378444.jpg or this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...3d9f83ac45.jpg

Another version is this (note that those are shields with two grips at elbow and hand instead of one at the centre): http://imgix.scout.com/137/1378413.j...&h=413&fit=max

So I would appreciate some opinions about those different rack versions! Supposed that I want the shield to be supported by a double grip at elbow and hand instead of at the centre only, would I be better of with the rack shown in the picture of the third link? Or could I equally choose the version of the first two links? Would they maybe even be the more likely historical choice (for a double grip shield)? There is probably not much which could favor one over another but I still would be happy about advice on what to choose.

Thanks.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Plumbata Rack

Supposed that I want the shield to be supported by a double grip at elbow and hand instead of at the centre only
    There's no archaeological evidence or literary or artistic evidence that they did this in the Late Roman period, so don't worry about that.

The one in the picture at the top is probably the way it was done, although reconstructions have shown that Maurice's statement that they were carried in quivers slung over the shoulder and worn at the belt seems to be more accurate and practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    There's no archaeological evidence or literary or artistic evidence that they did this in the Late Roman period, so don't worry about that.

The one in the picture at the top is probably the way it was done, although reconstructions have shown that Maurice's statement that they were carried in quivers slung over the shoulder and worn at the belt seems to be more accurate and practical.
    Perfect, was hoping for an answer from you, thanks!
    So do you have a clue what Phil Barker is referring to here? "The oval shield is not only much larger than the previous model, but almost flat instead of laterally curved, made of solid planks instead of plywood, and supported by a double grip at elbow and hand instead of at the centre only. This is plainly shown by a number of monuments." (Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome)

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

To be quite frank, Phil Barker is pretty terribly outdated.

We have Late Roman Ovoid shields that survived from Dura Europos, I believe 7 of them (might be wrong on that). The examples that are predominately intact are dished/lenticular, but I do believe a flat ovoid one survived. All of them are of planked construction except the Rectangular Scutum which is made of overlapping strips of wood (like plywood kind of). All of them also have a handle grip on the inside of the shield boss, not an elbow band and handle grip like the old Hoplon/Aspis/Pelta shields or some medieval shields.

The handle grip was entirely dominant in this period. We have some metal ones that survive (I can think of... about 3 Frankish examples from 5th century Gaul, the 3rd century one from Nydam, a 4th Century Roman one from Gaul, and I think Sutton Hoo yielded one too), although most were wood.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; February 03, 2016 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    To be quite frank, Phil Barker is pretty terribly outdated.

We have Late Roman Ovoid shields that survived from Dura Europos, I believe 7 of them (might be wrong on that). The examples that are predominately intact are dished/lenticular, but I do believe a flat ovoid one survived. All of them are of planked construction except the Rectangular Scutum which is made of overlapping strips of wood (like plywood kind of). All of them also have a handle grip on the inside of the shield boss, not an elbow band and handle grip like the old Hoplon/Aspis/Pelta shields or some medieval shields.

The handle grip was entirely dominant in this period. We have some metal ones that survive (I can think of... about 3 Frankish examples from 5th century Gaul, the 3rd century one from Nydam, a 4th Century Roman one from Gaul, and I think Sutton Hoo yielded one too), although most were wood.
    Thanks a lot for the information, appreciate it!