Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Extended Map 1.12 for Alternative Patch 4.8

Default Re: Extended Map 1.12 for Alternative Patch 4.8

For my own game, but the principle is the same. Althoughif you use heavy script and did not care about hotseat from start, it may be difficult to make it work. Yet it is at least simple to turn off the complicated features for hotseat.

Yeah, I guess I'm primarily concerned about the fact that a lot of the scripts are tied into each other, and what affects one influences several others... Id say over half of them would have to be turned off or heavily modified, and at this point I don't even remember which ones would be an issue. But the new Ring script alone is a monstrosity, somewhere between 20 and 40 thousand lines, if i remember correctly (and theres a good chance I dont)... and it also has pronounced effects on several other files, like the EDB, the EDA, the EDCT, and the mercs, and so on. Removing it wouldn't be a fun or quick job. I have serious doubts that retaining its present range of functionality and making it hotseat friendly would be possible without altering the source code, in which case it could probably be rewritten with a fraction of the characters anyways. I think something would have to give, but... I admit I could be wrong, and that would be a very, very pleasant surprise. Actually I'm kind of hoping you're right about this and I'm not ahaha.

Ah, over 50k lines for the ring script =/

Just going over it again now, and I'm not so certain anymore. Someone with as much familiarity with M2 scripting as you or withwnar might have the capacity to preserve most of the functionality, if you had a mind to spend some time at it. A year ago I might have been able to say definitively one way or another, but at this point I can't even remember exactly how everything was put together.

I think you did well enough about this sub-mod, as you said it's a matter of patience and time and you can't do anything beyond hard-coded stuff. Too bad for the hotseat thing, you can make alliances and have fun all the way, there are enough other mods out there. I like what you did wit this one so far, I was waiting for something like this and I'm not patient and courageous enough to learn the tricks about modding. Yet I have learned many things since I've discovered the mods for the Total War series and other games back then, because you have to learn things for playing.
    So about my bugs and CTDs, only a few came from the sub-mod. My 1Gb NVidia got obsolete for my new motherboard, it got the system running mad and unstable - Windows 32bit can only deal with 4G RAM so it was better to use the dedicated video card, 1G RAm as well which means not powerful enough for a HD screen like the one I use, I just need a new video card because I can't play heavy games with a HD resolution, simple as that. I have to play with a 1024x768 resolution, I had no idea because I don't really use 3D games actually. This res. is not the best one but I can see 3D effects in the game again, the same way I see them on the smaller monitor.
    Another thing to do in this case is to go in the Bios settings and find the options for the shared integrated graphic memory, 64 Mb on default, I put on maximum, that is 1024 Mb and that's fine (there is another option called DVMT in my MSI motherboard bios, maximum as well while it didn't work with the NVidia card. People using labtops may not know about this so they think their system is not powerful enough I guess. I didn't know about the HD monitor settings that need a better graphic card for 3D stuff - this is what happens with a 1920x1080 screen.)

I'm glad you were able to resolve the issues. But let me know if you experience more crashes when deciding what to do with the prisoners. That at least I might be able to fix.

Thank you, I will. Things like spies or any units exploring Mirkwood being seized by madness and evil are priceless, all of these characters traits and the scripts are terrific. If I can learn some modding tricks I'll try to weaken the dwarves and put a more agressive AI, mostly for the misty mountains orcs. Maybe another sub-mod could handle this if yours may be compatible.

Tonight I have erased the 'descr_geography_new.txt' file (not the 'db' one) then I have played for 6 hours, I've had only 2 Ctds on the campaign map during this time. Some folks talked about that in some threads - apparently it helped for stability.

The limitation on the mirkwood script is that.. it doesnt affect captains. A shame, really.

The dwarven unit stats are quite high, but the replenishment rate is very low, only the elves are lower. Also, they dont tend to be able to recruit outside of regions with hills or mountains. I've seen them get wiped out in testing (both factions), and I've seen them do not so bad either.... but I havent seen them clear the map like they do so often in vanilla.

A more aggressive AI would be great, particularly if it were possible to make the rebels more aggressive. I confess I have no idea if it is. There's lots that could be done scriptwise with this.

The db file in question is included with the mod package, but not the textfile, so the file youre deleting must be left over from vanilla. Cant even remember exactly what it does...

If I have understood well, this file is somewhat like the map.vrm or something you have to erase before/after the set up of a sub-mod on 3.2, it rebuild the map along every time and causes CTDs.
    About the whole sub-mod, I should not say anything about the balance yet, I'm with Arnor on my 460th turn and >I feel like I've only been playing only for 100, this is only the beginning it seems to me - that just means your sub-mod is great to me, the way you thought about it to be.
    MOS and D&C are pretty cool and great, nevertheless in ten years I've been playing most of the time with Second age, Forgotten realms of gathered submods, Overhaul agressive AI and any new sub-mod I could play with as another version proposed in another spirit, I don't know how to say - not always a massive overhaul but some precious () ideas bringing elements for new scenarios, this is how you can play 20 YO games like Sid Meier's Civlization II on the same Playstation game since 1997, as I did haha - and 20 years later whenever I go back to this very party game in Civ II, I'm just struggling in trying to bring fair democracy to my people, while they jsut ask for nuclear strikes on our enemies and they absolutely want a fascist dictature as a government - I mean, this is how interesting timeless games can be, still running great and quite intesresting.
    I'm going on with the game, I'm starting building Mithril Smithries and I love it. I gave the one ring from Frodo to any general to let him rest and getting his moves back, he's about to lead the rise of the hobbits.
    I've got all the mining Halls of the dwarven/orcish lands, just selling Mithril to Gondor for crowning Aragorn.
    You're right about the dwarves, I felt too weak because I voluntarily slowed down the military progres in Eriador so I got my ass kicked - now we got Mithril ! HAHA

Depending on how badly he was affected, he might never fully recover from carrying the ring. If it wrecks the play-through for you, you might have to resort to console commands.

Selling Mithril to good factions actually allows them to build mithril foundries as well, so over the medium and long term as they get these facilities up and running, it can actually improve their survivability in the face of the growing darkness.

And yeah, the length and scale of it is great. I like my games epic. If there weren't hardcoded limits I'd have mapped out the entirety of middle-earth, and maybe some of the other continents as well. Such a map with an 'age of numenor' exploration theme to it would have been great, too. I'd like to put together a team one day to make a game capable of handling such scenarios, but I've got a lot of studying to do between then and now before that's even remotely within my range of capabilities.

Well I hope you can find partners to achieve your projects - I plan learning Maya/Blender and ZBrush for the sculpture skills to get, making statues or items and so - if you start soon at learning 3D conception and I'm brave enough to learn as well, I'm sure pretty things could be made - I was 5 when I've seen the Pac-Man horizontal gametables in black & white in the coffeeshops down in France, started playing a Honeywell Bull console 2 years later, and so on, go figure. I'd be thrilled to participate in a project, still I know this requires time and dedication, these are serious matters - so you can get results. There are talented people around. I'm not a bad drawer, for Maya and ZBrush I'll use a Cintiq 13 HD, now there are super mouses for 3D apps.

Frodo gets cool and fine, he's waiting for his hour down in Angrenost with a dûnedain owning the dwarven ring and Aragorn now aged 24 letting Rohan behaving strangely.
    I wanted Faranel 2 days ago, I wanted to put native dûnedain there - the Naugrim wouldn't let me exchange cities so we fought - now I have to do my best at calming them down, waiting for my best interests to give them the mines, when they can be of good use - until then Rohan, Dwarves, Noldor have to be watched out because I can see alliances and acts of war in between ancient allies or enemies, that's what I like.
    I still haven't see 90% of the contents except in Arnor and here are the first sword elite units. I'll be back and tell you what I think is great. The only bad trait so far is, as usual, the Angmar surrounds and the mountains orcs beaten so easily, but Sauron didn't do anything actually. I restrain the good factions influence and potential attacks against me by conquering regions all around them without entering their stands and giving them mony or some cities now and then. 4 AM in the morning, we make our way to Dol Guldur. Hobbits - Hobbits everywhere.

I'd love a nùmenorian adventure as well - with a chapter about Akhalabêth and the fundings of the new realms on the big ships - or getting able to cross the Belegaer to Tôl Eressea and Aqualondë, the white shores then the ring of fate, the Oromë forests and the Mandos halls, everything encircled by the Pelori chain, but you can't reach it before the horizon uncurves ad the way of light is open. Or, riding desolate plains of the beyond Beleriand. Maps like in Empire Total War. Even specific episodes of the legendarium could be played with new resized maps as they did in some Med 2 TW mods.
    This is just like writing scripts for movies to be made, then reality of technics and time reminds you to change some of your designs. I don't think I could do better than any of the guys who were in previous teams anyway - they did the best that could be done of it so far, to me it's like trying to learn guitar but you keep hearing so gifted people that you're kind of cramped before starting anything.

Time will tell. =)

We seem to have the opposite creative inclinations... scripting, programming, writing, overall design, mapping, and so on I enjoy. But I don't have much interest in 3d modelling or animation or skinning or 2d artwork or UI design... those are, unsurprisingly, the areas of this mod that are most sadly lacking. I'll need colleagues with that manner of talent in any future projects.
    Are you from France?

For the engine I have in mind, for its first incarnation, from a graphical standpoint, it would probably be considerably more simplistic than M2:TW (out of necessity)... but with much more tactical, strategic, and economic depth, and a world that's ridiculously vast in scale. There's a good chance it'd be entirely original content, but intentionally released with middle-earth modability in mind. Have to pay the bills, after all.

On the topic of AI, I actually just wrote my first C++ incarnation of it. It does its intended job, but it has about the same cognitive capacity as a koala bear. It probably won't wind up being my specialty.

Part of the challenge with an age of numenor scenario is there is a paucity of available information on the era, and so there's a lot of 'filling in the gaps' that require some extrapolation and creativity, not to mention a great deal of deviation from official canon. And the further south and east you go, the less information there is. There's a lot of fan fiction out there already that deals with this, not to mention a pile of contradictory maps. You've seen the iron crown maps of middle earth?
    A possible solution, instead of picking one set of maps and fan-written chronicles over others, might be random generation. I hadn't really given that much consideration before, but that at least as an option would be really neat, because then on each playthrough you'd never know what to expect beyond the bounds of the familiar northwestern regions of middle earth (e.g. umbar to forochel, sea of rhun to tol fuin)... and the age of numenor really is in large part about the intrepid voyages to the farthest reaches of Arda.

As for this submod... If you have cash sitting around, they'll usually agree to sell a settlement for an obscene amount, even if it says they probably wont accept (think 10-30k or so, if memory serves).

There is a script running that tends to keep the good faction at least neutral in attitudes with one another, and if war breaks out, the white council usually intervenes to try to smooth out the situation.
    The exception is if a good faction starts using the one ring. In such a case, mutual distrust and suspicions gradually break down relations, and eventually the white council even becomes hostile.

If I remember right, the mechanics for inter-evil faction diplomacy provide for greater volatility.

Some mid-late game variety in the hobbit roster would be nice, but as mentioned, that's not my area of expertise.

As for Angmar, yeah... it really ought to be far more difficult to clear them out of the mountains. An engine that supports not just surface mapping, but 3 dimensional subterranean mapping as well would be awesome (definitely a necessity in my planned project).

I was planning a Forodwaith script... the random spawning of white wolves, snowtrolls, snowmen of lossoth (not necessarily hostile), forodwaith orcs, and white walkers (kidding)... and even the occassional dragon if a (non-mordor) faction grew too disgustingly rich. The dragon of course, would have its sights set on a specific target (the big pile of gold), the rest of the critters would just kind of flood haphazardly over the northern borders, just enough to keep the player on his toes. Doesn't make much sense to not have to protect your northernmost outposts, considering everything we know about the region. The forts and mines up there had a planned purpose as well... old dwarven outposts that could be recaptured and reopened for business for a modest income boost.

A similar script to the forodwaith spawnings might have been used for sporadic uprisings of the desert tribes in haradwaith, as well as for occassional evil reinforcements from the farthest east and south beyond the map edges.

I eventually dropped the idea because the more time I spend on this mod, the less time I have to learn what i need to learn to make a game that will actually (legally) do everything I want it to do.

Yes I do know of the Iron Crown maps - (I had read that Tolkien enterprises made them close up back then, a guy I know had started making a movie called 'Storm over Gondolin' it was in the spirit of the people making mods, something from fans for fans and it was high quality, really bad ass independent artwork but after a first good deal on paper, they'd made him giving up for unknown reasons. There's also a full script for a tv show for the silmarillion, it will never be made but just reading it was beautiful.) I'm in France, there are really good designers in modeling and animation, more and more of them. The animation part should be hard to me, about modeling or sculpting characters is not the most difficult, there are so many tutorials to see about this that you just have to get a method and understand how the software was thought, just like you do when you speak of your ideas and the personality you want your project to get I guess. That's what I meant about the different submods, massive overhauls are not my favorite ones, as excellent as they may be. I can understand the way you want to create your game I think. Since I was playing on the first Amstrad then on a Commodore I've always felt these moments when a game gets brilliant because of his personality.
    You may need top guys for a team though, maybe you can find experimented mates ready to give it a try on some forums.

Here is the same kind of bug I've had in my game as the Oracarnis - there's this event of a noble dwarf having to get a ring so while I'm waiting for next turn to attack Dol Guldur, on the Ai's turn while the Orocarnis are playing the camera moves from the spot in Mirkwood to the eastern lands, there's an event coming but here comes the desktop again, CTD.
    I paste the log system, I've tried the same turn on both windows 32b then on 64 and it keeps crashing -

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    11:18:40.401 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    11:18:40.401 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    11:18:40.401 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    11:18:40.401 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    11:18:40.401 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    11:18:40.401 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    11:18:40.401 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    11:18:40.401 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    11:32:02.999 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_One>
    : PopulationOwnReligion needs a character in a land region.

when testing <PopulationOwnReligion> condition
    11:32:02.999 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Two>

11:32:02.999 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Three>

11:32:02.999 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Four>

11:42:51.579 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_One>

11:42:51.579 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Two>

11:42:51.579 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Three>

11:42:51.579 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Four>

11:52:48.927 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_One>

11:52:48.927 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Two>

11:52:48.927 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Three>

11:52:48.928 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Four>

12:00:23.159 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_One>

12:00:23.159 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Two>

12:00:23.159 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Three>

12:00:23.159 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Four>

12:07:31.538 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_One>

12:07:31.538 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Two>

12:07:31.538 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Three>

12:07:31.538 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Four>

12:15:56.702 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_One>

12:15:56.703 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Two>

12:15:56.703 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Three>

12:15:56.703 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Four>

12:28:57.647 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_One>

12:28:57.647 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Two>

12:28:57.647 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Three>

12:28:57.647 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Four>

12:36:41.232 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_One>

12:36:41.232 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Two>

12:36:41.232 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Three>

12:36:41.232 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Four>

12:47:36.609 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_One>

12:47:36.609 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Two>

12:47:36.609 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Three>

12:47:36.609 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Sorcerer_Level_Four>

12:47:51.340 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by Veteraan; March 21, 2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags because of the rather long text

It's all really a moot point until I've got a lot more experience and knowledge. If I tried putting together a team now I wouldnt really be good for all that much. Long term goals.

As far as I can tell the crash isn't occurring because of the sorcerer trait triggers... and I'm not even sure why yours is complaining. Do me a favour and open up export_descr_character_traits.txt and search for the line Trigger Sorcerer_Level_One, and copy and paste the whole section for that particular trigger here. Should only be twenty-some-odd lines or so, roughly. I just want to make sure I updated the file in the distribution.

I have a little questionnaire that should help me track down the source of the crash.
    -You said in both your orocarni game and your arnor game, the camera moves to the far east before the crash? can you tell me the name of the regions that it moves to? You might have to lift fow using console commands to get it to display.
    -You mentioned a ring, in both cases were you waiting for a dwarf ring to be given to a general?
    -In terms of precise timing, does the crash seem to occur during the AIs turn, or at the very beginning of the human turn, or otherwise?
    -What game turn is it?
    -Is Mordor still in the game?
    -Are you using the One Ring?

(I keep this file on the desktop because the list is quite long and I can't find the group alphabetically, I'll paste the lines- I've just checked whether kingdoms.exe works or not, now it won't go further the first loading screen, I have installed it 3 days ago. I think I had not cleansed all the files before rebooting, yet I know well how to do it.)
    When I see the Orocarni heraldic shield on their turn, the camera slowly moves south-east the same way it does when you're shown in which city the ring is kept with the red arrow - (with Arnor I'm on the 460th turn or so, the game with the orocarnis was when a ring had to be given to a dwarven captain, indeed.) When the last shield, the bandits one, is in action, there occurs the CTD. Mordor is alright, not heard of Sauron yet, I don't use the one ring.
    If my set up is a mess no wonder why I get CTDs whatever I can do with files and notepad - I'll uninstall M2TW properly and try again before you have to do anything.
    My bad.

By the way, you mentioned you used to play CivII.. do you remember the old Dagor Bragollach mod by Hurin?
    http://www.dor-lomin.com/archive/dagor/

Years ago I did basically the same thing for CivIV, but it's not nearly as complex as TATW, and I feel that without some needed alterations its too easy. Still, I give it a play through every few years when I get feelings of nostalgia for that scenario.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-silmarillion-dagor-bragollach.541300/

Orocarni Orcs or Orocarni Dwarves?

If you press the `/~ key and then type in toggle_fow, you should be able to:
    1) see for certain if mordor is intact
    2) determine the names of the regions/settlements the camera moves to before the crash.

#2 in particular can mean the difference between hunting through 152,000 lines of code, or a few dozen.

(Note this will considerably lengthen the amount of time it takes the AI to cycle through its turns.)

And if you reload the game, does the crash happen every time? (i.e. is the game unplayable beyond that point no matter what you do?)
    And do you have any units in the vicinity, or any agents like a spy? If you do, it could be part of the entwives script attempting to trigger.

If you do any tinkering, note also that altering some files in certain ways will make savegames from before your alterations unstable.

Ok for this command, I'll write this on a paper and try it, never seen this advice. I always come back before any particular action I could have done before this kind of exit, that already happened in the vanilla version or other Med2 mods like Stainless Steel. Yes, in this case I can't go beyond this current Ai's turn (you're right, there are spies alla around Dol Guldur and my armies, but I've been used to CTDs while the same shifting occurs in the search for the ring.
    I think you're right, clumsy lines I've tried in the CFG file messed up with the current game.

No I haven't tried the Dagor Bragollach mod in Civ II, although I love the Civ Fanatics website. Will look forward for it, cheers.

I'm looking for a cheap download for a Med2 collection's key on Steam - I have to try because I repeat the same set up with the disc since 2007 and I'm kind of done with it Lol

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast