Thread: Rise of Persia 3.0 |PREVIEW| Ma-Sakā Roster

The Wise Coffin's Avatar History is the Future
    Blog Entries

Default Rise of Persia 3.0 |PREVIEW| Ma-Sakā Roster

The Ma-Sakā known as Massagetai to the Greeks are a fearsome tribe of nomads. Raiding deep into Median territory and eastern Balkh, the Ma-Sakā strike fear into the hearts of even the strongest men. Moving like lightning they come from the wilderness of the north to pillage and loot whatever they can find. Despite the wild differences in lifestyle the Mazaka were related to the Median and Persian Indo-Iranian family. However this blood tie is so long lost that it will not stop the searing arrows of the Mazaka from striking the heart of any Median citizen. The Median Empire lives in constant threat from these ferocious tribesmen.

But when not on campaign in the search for booty the Massagetae can lead the peaceful life of a nomadic herdsman, following the cattle and living on the open steppes with a freedom many city dwellers only dream of. Under the command of their stern Queen Tomyris the proud warriors are both gruesome to behold in battle but also serene to witness in peace. Their territory is harsh and unforgiving, with few settlements to bring in vast amounts of money. This is what will lead any confident commander to raid the rich southern lands and supplement his people with precious treasures.

The Ma-Sakā fight the characteristic style of steppe warfare, which makes them hard to pin down in battle and engage on the usual terms. Swift horse archers can deal terrible damage to the enemy whilst luring them further out. Once exposed, the enemy fall prey to the thunderous charge of the Ma-Sakā noble horse. Strong spears and heavy armor make this wall of metal a fearsome sight. Whilst running rings around the enemy a good commander must remember not to get pinned down at any point.

The Ma-Sakā stand proud in the harsh wilderness that surrounds and protects them. Would a foolish king dare risk his life in a hardy campaign against them? Or will the Ma-Sakā rain a storm of arrows on the decadent southerners!

|Saka AOR|

Oir-La (Sakā Axemen) UNIT MADE BY THE ROP TEAM
    The Oir-La are notoriously aggressive warriors. They fight to live and lived to fight, and drink the blood of their enemies and used the scalps as napkins; they also have the reputation for their skill in guerrilla warfare, and many gained employment as mercenaries. They use a couple of javelins to throw at the enemy before going in melee with the typical battle axe that most Sakā cultures use; for defence, their clothing consists of padded and quilted leather trousers tucked into boots, and open tunics.

The Sakā people live in confederated tribes, a political form of voluntary association which regulates pastures and organize a common defence against encroaching neighbors for the pastoral tribes of mostly equestrian herdsmen. While the productivity of domesticated animal-breeding greatly exceeded that of the settled agricultural societies, the pastoral economy also needed supplemental agricultural produce, and stable nomadic confederations developed either symbiotic or forced alliances with sedentary peoples – in exchange for animal produce and military protection.

Ar-Ima (Sakā Slingers) TAKEN FROM THE SHADOWS OF WAR UNIT SUPPLEMENT
    These slingers are made from the lowest classes of Sakā society. Hunters, bandits and herdsmen, are some of the type of individuals that make this contingents of slingers; their morale is very low, and at any sign of trouble they will run.

The Sakā people live in confederated tribes, a political form of voluntary association which regulates pastures and organize a common defence against encroaching neighbors for the pastoral tribes of mostly equestrian herdsmen. While the productivity of domesticated animal-breeding greatly exceeded that of the settled agricultural societies, the pastoral economy also needed supplemental agricultural produce, and stable nomadic confederations developed either symbiotic or forced alliances with sedentary peoples – in exchange for animal produce and military protection.

Luo-Skuda (Sakā Horse Archers) TAKEN FROM THE SHADOWS OF WAR UNIT SUPPLEMENT
    A swarm of nimble, mounted archers riding sturdy steppe horses is the backbone of most Scythian armies and, if adequately handled, they can be a very effective force all by themselves. Most enemies will be slower or have a shorter range. The horse archers can keep peppering them with arrows for hours or days, evading if approached and closing in only when casualties and loss of cohesion have sufficiently weakened their foes. Typical horse archers, however, are not particularly well-suited for hand-to-hand combat. Armour and heavy weapons are expensive and so are the big horses that can deal with the added weight: only nobles and kings can afford such luxuries. Hence, typical horse archers carry little or no armour and are likely to suffer if forced into melee against most adversaries.

Life as nomadic herders on the steppe produced highly skilled bowmen and riders who could put those abilities to very good use on a battlefield. For over two millennia, these warriors were levied from the diverse nomads that roamed the vast Eurasian steppe and were a central and iconic component of their armies. Horse archer armies relied on mobility (at the strategic and tactical levels) and their excellent composite bows to win their battles and wars and their victories could be truly devastating. Both Assyrians and Medians at the peak of their military power saw some of their armies totally annihilated by enemies relying on horse archers and steppe tactics.

Uluki (Sakā Riders) TAKEN FROM THE SHADOWS OF WAR UNIT SUPPLEMENT
    These Sakā skirmisher cavalry are best used in a harassing role and can be very useful in tempting enemy heavy cavalry to mount a charge in a vain attempt to catch them. They carry an abundant supply of javelins in saddle-cases. The traditional role of mounted archers is well known, but the javelin is more dangerous to armoured opponents. These wild tribesmen fill a vital role in the clan host. While they do make excellent skirmishers, this is not their only calling. They are warriors of the steppe and wield spears with skill and courage, willing to close with the enemy when the odds are in their favour.

Skuda (Sakā Archers) TAKEN FROM THE SHADOWS OF WAR UNIT SUPPLEMENT
    These Saka Foot Archers are foot bowmen. They are dismounted tribesmen who choose to fight on foot, utilizing the advantage of shooting more accurately and releasing longer, more powerful volleys as a result of standing upon a relatively more stable and level platform than on the back of a horse. However, given their advantages in returning fire from the ground, they are also extremely vulnerable to heavy infantry and cavalry charges since these foot bowmen are still suited to more of a harassing and supporting role due them being merely armed with a short sword, the akinakes of Scythian origin, and no other melee weapon.

Steppe nomads at times employed infantry in their ranks, even though they usually fought as cavalry. They would mount these men on camels or horses so as to keep pace with the majority of the army, which was the cavalry, and when they did battle, they would dismount from their horses and release volleys of arrows with deadly accuracy and power against their foes.

|
    Ma-Sakā|

Unageri (Sakā Heavy Riders) TAKEN FROM THE SHADOWS OF WAR UNIT SUPPLEMENT
    Although the horse archer is the backbone of any nomadic army, mounted javelineers are mostly used in close-quarters on rough terrain, in ambushes and night raids. When an arrow hit was not always lethal, a javelin one did the trick well. These Sakā minor nobles receive small shields, a bunch of good tipped javelins, and some leather and scale armor. They are skilled and can also fight dismounted with various weapons, but the most common were the sagaris battle-axe and the akinakes.

The Unageri, along with the Ulud-Skuda, are minor nobles from the Sakā tribes of the steppes north of the Achaemenid Empire; some of those consisted of the Auchatae, Catiaroi, Traspians, Chorasmii and the Apasiacae, just to mention a few. Their loyalty was always in question, so to bring these petty tribes to follow the main ruling tribe, they would receive small properties and cattle.

Ulud-Skuda (Sakā Heavy Horse Archers) TAKEN FROM THE SHADOWS OF WAR UNIT SUPPLEMENT
    Protected with helmets and good quality scale armor, riding horses with frontal barding and wielding a scythian sagaris, these Sakā from the lower nobility can give a good account of themselves in hand to hand combat. Also, they are no less adept with the strong, composite bows they carry than poorer, more lightly-equipped horse archers and only slightly less agile. This combination makes them suitable for a variety of tasks. These are warriors that can attack infantry under the right conditions, that can go toe to toe with most other cavalry (or evade and shoot horsemen they would rather not face in melee) and that will win archery duels with the elusive horse archers (or will chase them off the battlefield).

Cavalry armed with the long, two-handed lances may prove their better in melee, and, of course, frontal charges against decent infantry in good order will likely be suicidal. Against such foes, cooperation with the lighter horse archers that should abound in any Sakā army and the Nobles’ own bows should prove very useful. All in all, the Ulud-Skuda are a valuable unit of great flexibility. Of course, the price of their expensive war gear will often mean than not many of them will be present in most Sakā armies.

Oir-Pata (Man Slayers) UNIT MADE BY THE CLASSICAL AGE: TOTAL WAR TEAM
    The Man Slayers ride side by side with the men, to ensure victory for the Sakā cultures. They come from royal tribes that can afford their education and equippment; from the great tribal confederations like the Skula and the Ma-Sakā. Few in numbers and difficult to train, but ferocious and determined as any elite force; they also serve as a symbol of fear for the foreign enemy, for they never saw a women riding on the battlefield, dressed as a man.

Speculation that the idea of Amazons contains a core of reality is based on archaeological findings from burials, pointing to that possibility. About 20% of Scythian-Sarmatian "warrior graves" on the lower Don and lower Volga contained women dressed for battle similar to how men dress, a phenomenon that probably inspired the Greek tales about the Amazons. Whend the Scythian men were away fighting or hunting, nomadic women would have to be able to defend themselves, their animals and pasture-grounds competently. During the time that the Scythians advanced into Asia and achieved near-hegemony in the Near East, there was a period of twenty-eight years when the men would have been away on campaigns for long periods. During this time the women would not only have had to defend themselves, but to reproduce and this could well be the origin of the idea that Amazons mated once a year with their neighbours, if Herodotus actually based his accounts on fact.

Haumavargâ Vitaz (Haumavargâ Nobles) UNIT MADE BY THE ROP TEAM
    If many Haumavargâ riders can now equip themselves with corselets of scale armor, their nobility will take this trend one step further and provide defenses for the horses they ride as well. Protecting their mounts represents a substantial advantage for horsemen expected to charge headlong into the enemy, as horses, being a large target, are particularly vulnerable to missiles. In addition, when both horse and rider are armored, their momentum increases and their potential impact is greater. Thus, the charge of a group of Haumavargâ nobles is truly terrible and will often succeed in punching a hole in an enemy battle line that the rest of the warriors will be able to exploit. This does not mean that they constitute any of sort of “forlorn hope” or are particularly suicidal. Typically, they will first probe for weaknesses and, if none are readily found, they will work to create them. For such a task they may well resort to their javelins, using skirmishing tactics to soften a spot prior to a charge.

The literature suggests that Haumavargâ describes a defining trait of this Sakā group. It is taken to mean that this Sakā practiced haoma-drinking. Haoma is the medicinal and health-giving extract from plants. Haoma is associated with ancient Zoroastrian healing practices and if this association is correct, it provides a further connection between at least one Sakā group and the Zoroastrian family. Haoma is a regular part of Zoroastrian ritual and why this group should be singled out be bear the name is unclear. Perhaps this is where the practice originated; perhaps, this Sakā group were renowned for their knowledge of the haoma curative sciences.

Tigrakhaudâ Vitaz (Tigrakhaudâ Nobles) UNIT MADE BY THE ROP TEAM
    The Tigrakhaudâ Vitaz are the elite of the Ma-Sakā tribal confederacy and are usually seen leading the tribal host to war. They are not above service to more settled peoples as this will often grant them the means to better equip themselves for war. These noblemen can harass an enemy line like skirmishers and charge into unprotected flanks and rears when the opportunity presents itself. They are equipped with a hardened leather scale cuirass or the occasional bronze or iron scale ciurass taken in raids. Tigrakhaudâ Vitaz are equipped with composite bow and lance, making them a versatile and dangerous foe. These men wield lance and bow with supreme skill and courage, closing with the enemy when the odds are in their favour. This gives them a tactical flexibility as they can skirmish and put the bows they carry to very good use against solidly formed enemies that would repulse a headlong charge.

The Sakā Tigrakhaudâ, inhabited the grasslands around the Aral sea. The stone reliefs at Persepolis show the Sakā Tigrakhaudâ with pointed caps. The height of the cap would have been an indication of status - the tallest caps being reserved for the senior most ruler or king. The only god they worship is the sun, and to him they offer the horse in sacrifice; under the notion of giving to the swiftest of the gods the swiftest of all mortal creatures.

SWIFT REMINDER THAT ALL HORSE MODELS AND TEXTURES COMES FROM THE CLASSICAL AGE: TOTAL WAR MOD
    Last edited by The Wise Coffin; February 03, 2016 at 05:49 PM.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Rise of Persia 3.0 |PREVIEW| Ma-Sakā Roster

Hey Wise Coffin, it is great that you are still working on this. Thank you for the preview. Are there supposed to be any pictures of units as at the moment I can not see any. Regarding RoP3 what is the current status of development? What kind of work still needs to be done?

Blog Entries

Strange, because i can see the images that i posted in the post.
    There is still much to be done on the mod, but i want to be showing the work on the units that i have been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    Hey Wise Coffin, it is great that you are still working on this. Thank you for the preview. Are there supposed to be any pictures of units as at the moment I can not see any. Regarding RoP3 what is the current status of development? What kind of work still needs to be done?

Argive Strategos's Avatar Civis

Cool stuff, I dont know how, but I just felt like checking Rop forums today and to my surprise, I see this, this is great, looking forward to using the amazons

i have the same problem than demagogos

I love this mod.I cant wait for new version

Blog Entries

Ok, used a new hosting image site to put the images of the units. hopefully those that could not see the images can see it again.
    If not, i really can't do more. i can clearly see them.

Very glad that you are still working on this, please post updates in this thread I have subscribed. By the way, you're that guy from the TW podcast, right? The Round Table?

Blog Entries

I appeared in one of their podcasts, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alekho View Post
    Very glad that you are still working on this, please post updates in this thread I have subscribed. By the way, you're that guy from the TW podcast, right? The Round Table?

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Unfortunatelly, pictures are still univisible form me be do not wory I am fine with having a surprise when the mod is released

Argive Strategos's Avatar Civis

Pics look great, I can see them

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Pics work for me at least, great work and really loving that the mod is not dead. Keep on modding!

For me too , ver y good work

dalapto's Avatar Civis

Sweeet.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

I missed this preview. Thanks for the preview and your hard work!

pelon18's Avatar Foederatus

Haomavarga!!!!! This preview has given me a thirst only that milky white nector can sate!!! So excited!!!