Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wrath of the Norsemen VIKINGS Official Stable BETA!

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Icon4 Wrath of the Norsemen VIKINGS Official Stable BETA!

New torrent download link for the new version found at moddb in the comments section:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/wrath-of-the-norsemen

Everything below is outdated and old.

M2TW:K Wrath of the Norsemen: Official VIKINGS BETA Preview:

A NEW OFFICIAL version of the MOD "Wrath of the Norsemen".
    I haven't made the original mod, credit must go to the respective mod creators for that. I am however one of the official developers of the mod as of a couple of days ago, and i am the only developer still working on this mod. Unique music for each people. Vanilla music is completely gone! The music is not chosen randomly, as it has been carefully chosen for each group of people in the game (norse, Franks etc). BUG-fixes and no CTD:s as of turn 104 playing Gutland. Install by puting the folder you download inside your "mods"-folder in the main directory of Medieval 2. Rename the downloaded folder WotN instead of "WotN 1.5 VIKINGS official stable BETA version". Start by clicking the BAT-file. Read the "Readme_SUBMOD" located inside the downloaded folder for more information about this version!

(The new stuff is mentioned after this):

1. VIKINGS-submod-MUSIC

2. Fixes for mercenaries being Silver Surfers.

3. All mercs recruitable from the beginning on the campaign map.

4. All missing descriptions for units added.

5. Fixed missing mercenary pictures and portraits, not counting those who didn't have portraits or pictures in the original mod-folders.

6. Changed bodyguard unit for the Franks, Moerrafylki and Kvenland, from dismounted knights to Saxon Housecarls.

7. Rygjalandi mounted knights bodyguard changed to Riddarar bodyguard - unit nerfed.

This is Wrath of the Norsemen 1.5, the original MOD - but with the above mentioned changes!

It seems my "VIKINGS SUB-MOD" caused the old CTD (crashes to desktop) BUG to re-appear after i changed too much in files like descr_strat and win_conditions etc.

I did download the old stable 1.5 version and add the above mentioned things. The difference being i haven't touched the files descr_strat or the like. This means that the game will still be very stable and without CTD:s.

The game will still have a hard economy and no added walking range per turn. It's the original 1.5 with some BUG-fixes and new music.

No added regions, or removed rebels!

It's a superior 1.5 version, and it's better than my sub-mod cause it doesn't crash, i played 104 turns without a crash and i didn't crash by then - but stoped playing.

It's VERY stable.

However, it's not a finished version of Wrath of the Norsemen - as some stuff still needs to be fixed. Mainly these things:

1. Freyseyr-settlement is a "mountainous terrain" and neither the player nor the computer can move troops. They just stand where they start, and this makes realtime-battles impossible in this settlement -i had to automatically resolve it and lost.
    -This is a map-bug that i can't solve for now.

2. Missing portraits for some units, as these were not in the game. -Not fixed, as i seem to have trouble getting them to show-up in game. It wasn't a problem with the already existing portraits as you just moved them to a new folder. But with new pictures it doesn't seem to work. I must read on to this.

Other fixes being made:

Better unit attributes to make a bigger difference between strong units and weak units,

the adding of three officers for most units,

stats-changes for some over powered units,

More to come as i will need to add all units in the EDB, add the missing portraits, still need to give everyone but the Vikings officers, stats-changes for all the other factions (not the Vikings) need to be made, remove the silver surfer captains and generals (some of them are sf, not all), the map bug will be looked into and some small fixes in other text-files.

Then we will release the first finished version of Wrath of the Norsemen. I can't promise the map-bug will be fixed as i am no mapper.

The CTD is fixed as i have re-made my mod by downloading the stable 1.5 version and adding the fixes and music to that one. This means no changes to the win-conditions or descr_strat has been made.

Mr_Nygren, co-developer of WotN.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; July 30, 2016 at 12:08 PM. Reason: New version through link at Moddb.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Default Re: Wrath of the Norsemen VIKINGS Official Stable BETA!

2. Fixes for mercenaries being Silver Surfers - i managed to miss out on the Veibmenn (Hunters/Sicily).

Just add "mercenary_unit" in the attribute-line for the unit "Hunters" and faction "Sicily" in the export_descr_unit.txt-file to fix this small mistake by me.

Or download this EDU-file and place it in WotN/Data replacing the old one:

Attached Files Attached Files
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

congratulations for the promissing update! among your fixes there should also ohter things changend like the frankish regions/settlements.
    the frankish settlement names ar really unhistoric. see my post here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post12898222

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1,018.0 KB 
ID:	334413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0000.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1,017.1 KB 
ID:	334412

Quote Originally Posted by Serapio View Post
    congratulations for the promissing update! among your fixes there should also ohter things changend like the frankish regions/settlements.
    the frankish settlement names ar really unhistoric. see my post here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post12898222

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1,018.0 KB 
ID:	334413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0000.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1,017.1 KB 
ID:	334412
    Hello, thanks. Regarding the settlement names, i think that is an easy matter - you can very easily change the name yourself when playing the mod by clicking on the name and then just rewrite it. Of course i could change the starting name but that isn't so important.

- The Havamal

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

thats exactly what i did with my game. but i think other gamers would also like a more historic geography

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

This looks really good I just do not get why you went for Saxon Housecarls and Ridarar in this case and not for more logical Consilium Regilis for franks and Hirdmenn for Norse faction? I ma refering to the fillowing points:
    6. Changed bodyguard unit for the Franks, Moerrafylki and Kvenland, from dismounted knights to Saxon Housecarls.

7. Rygjalandi mounted knights bodyguard changed to Riddarar bodyguard - unit nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    This looks really good I just do not get why you went for Saxon Housecarls and Ridarar in this case and not for more logical Consilium Regilis for franks and Hirdmenn for Norse faction? I ma refering to the fillowing points:
    That's because this bug only concerned the spawned adopted family members, and not the Kings and Princes of these factions. Kvenland, the Franks and Moerrafylki all had the same bodyguard-unit for adopted family members.. And as i didn't want Hirdmenn for the Franks and Kvenland, or Concilium Regis for no one but the Franks - i had to give them bodyguards who worked for all three.

The Riddarar-bodyguard is only for Rygjalandi -a norse fation, and not for the Franks.

The Saxon Bodyguard is for all three of those mentioned above. I know that it is quite inaccurate for Kvenland but i don't think it is impossible for the Franks or Moerrafylki (who had been in contact with the english) to have that bodyguard.

It's a placeholder for now though. And it's better than the dismounted knights from before! I may very well change that bodyguard into faction specific bodyguards later, but that would mean i need to add new units in the EDU or experiment with the file.

- The Havamal

Well. I just do not understand why those three faction have to share the bodyguard unit, it makes no sense to me. I do not think there is any need for new entry in EDU, If I remember correctly all you need sellect the proper unit for the bodygurds for each faction which I think is already done and delete bodyguard atribute from dismounted knights. Ages ago I changed the bodyguard unit for franks to Concilium Regis in my build but I have not noticed whether it influenced other factions as well. However, I have played medium long Moerraiyki campaign after this change and did not noticed my bodyguards being Concilium Regis. Regarding Rygjalandi I see no reason why their generals would prefer to go to battle on horse, the terrain of western Norway is not very favourable for cavalry.

Well. I just do not understand why those three faction have to share the bodyguard unit, it makes no sense to me. I do not think there is any need for new entry in EDU, If I remember correctly all you need sellect the proper unit for the bodygurds for each faction which I think is already done and delete bodyguard atribute from dismounted knights. Ages ago I changed the bodyguard unit for franks to Concilium Regis in my build but I have not noticed whether it influenced other factions as well. However, I have played medium long Moerraiyki campaign after this change and did not noticed my bodyguards being Concilium Regis. Regarding Rygjalandi I see no reason why their generals would prefer to go to battle on horse, the terrain of western Norway is not very favourable for cavalry.
    The thing is that the Kings and Princes have faction specific bodyguards already. I don't know what makes the adopted family members of those three factions share the same bodyguard. But i may try to just remove that unit and see what happens. My original plan was to let Kvenland have their own bodyguard unit (Sami Shamans) and split the factions of Kvenland and Häme into two.

- The Havamal

"Regarding Rygjalandi I see no reason why their generals would prefer to go to battle on horse"

Well, it was a bug making them have a mounted knights bodyguard for adopted family members.. And i thought a riddarar-unit was more appropriate.

Of course the mounted bodyguard sholdn't have been in the game in the first place! But i think the adopted family members are pretty much controlled by scripts - so i didn't want to experiment with those.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    The thing is that the Kings and Princes have faction specific bodyguards already. I don't know what makes the adopted family members of those three factions share the same bodyguard. But i may try to just remove that unit and see what happens. My original plan was to let Kvenland have their own bodyguard unit (Sami Shamans) and split the factions of Kvenland and Häme into two.
    Split them into two unique factions that is. No finnish units for the Kvens, and no sami units for the Häme Tavastians. The sami will of course be weakened by this, but that makes for a better challenge! They still have the opportunity to recruit mercs.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 02, 2016 at 03:40 AM.

- The Havamal

The thing is that the Kings and Princes have faction specific bodyguards already. I don't know what makes the adopted family members of those three factions share the same bodyguard. But i may try to just remove that unit and see what happens
    If I remember correctly I just removed certian lines in the entry of the unit (dimounted knights) which labeld them as a bodyguard unit and maybe I changed faction ovnership of that unit as well but I think removing unit altogether would work as well. After doing this game should automaticly give addopted family memebers factional bodyguard. Of course my memory may betray me as I was making this changes to my build about three years ago and have not played the mod for a long time.

If I remember correctly I just removed certian lines in the entry of the unit (dimounted knights) which labeld them as a bodyguard unit and maybe I changed faction ovnership of that unit as well but I think removing unit altogether would work as well. After doing this game should automaticly give addopted family memebers factional bodyguard. Of course my memory may betray me as I was making this changes to my build about three years ago and have not played the mod for a long time.
    Okey, thanks for the information - i will look into it. I will also separate the units of Häme and Kvenland from one another. They will still be able to hire mercs from one another though.

- The Havamal

Regarding Rygjalandi I see no reason why their generals would prefer to go to battle on horse, the terrain of western Norway is not very favourable for cavalry.
    conserning Rygjalandi faction:
    this faction was intended to represent the south-western part of Norway, that is from Stavanger and eastwards through Jæren and Agder. this is the one region of Norway that would be most favorable for horses.
    this is probably the region of Norway that had most contact with the continent and the british isles, due to its close proximity. archeology suggests there were extensive sheep breeding there during the late roman era, suggesting wool were traded and continental influences brought back. stone crosses resembling irish types have been discovered here, suggesting early christian influences in the region.

that said, there is nothing to actually suggest that these people vaged their horses in battle. but rather rode to the battlefield and dismounted. in fact there are suggestions in the sagas that the norsemen considered it unmanly fighting on horseback.
    further more the weapon of nobility were the sword, while spears and to some extent axes usually were used by the common men. in other words, the norsemens favoured equipment were not particulary usefull on horseback.
    further more the norse fighting style seem to have been developed for fighting onboard ships, where the shieldwall were particulary effective.
    battles usually being started by exchange of missiles before boarding. this explains why archery were considered a sport worth even for kings, while mostly being shuned by other germanic groups.
    with this in mind cavalry would be a completely different and most likely foreign tactic.

what i am trying to say is that while (in my mind) Rygjalandi would be one of the Norwegian factions most likely to adopt such influences, it is highly unlikely at such an early date.

the Rygjalandi unique unit, Naudgestir, were inspired by a runic inscription on the Hogganvik stone (the wikipedia interpretation is somewhat disputed).
    some schollars claim that naudigastiR should be interpreted as marine. and certainly (marine)gast is a modern word for a marine.
    while in the medieval Hird a gestir were a hired soldier, a mercenary or the like.
    so i went with the wikipedia interpretation and made the Naudgestir to be men that had been employed by foreign lords, for example fighting in Frankish or english armies - gaining military experience, welth and prestiege when returning home.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

So I downloaded the files and put them in my mod folder. I try starting the game, but after the loading screen it C'sTD. I've had this problem with other mods too. Any solutions to this would be appreciated, since I look forward to playing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shap3sh1fter View Post
    So I downloaded the files and put them in my mod folder. I try starting the game, but after the loading screen it C'sTD. I've had this problem with other mods too. Any solutions to this would be appreciated, since I look forward to playing this.
    You have to rename the mod-folder to WotN.

- The Havamal

Sega/Medieval 2 Total War/Mods/WotN

- The Havamal

Yes, that worked! Thanks!

Works great under linux port. You just need to unpack with everything in lower case (use -cl option of unrar).
    unrar -cl x WotN_1.5_VIKINGS_official_stable_BETA_version.rar
    Rename the folder to ‘wotn’ and move it into the mod folder run the game with --features.mod=mods/wotn and it works great ^^.

Where are the credits for the music? It’s great I wannt them in my playlist and thank the artist for the great work.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast