Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Dutch Resurgence: Empire Total War AAR

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Default A Dutch Resurgence: Empire Total War AAR

The Dutch Republic is looking towards a resurgence. The New World offers new opportunities, India is shining, and Europe is in the middle of turmoil. With these challenges facing them, will the Republic falter in the face of adversity? Or will it surge, creating a new world under the Dutch flag?

Settings & Rules

> Darthmod
    > Short Campaign
    > Hard/Normal Difficulty
    > 4 years/1 turn
    > Battles will be fought according to the personalities chosen for the commanding officers. However, a special focus will be on one person until a switch in the focus of the theater of war.

Characters and Events

Will be Updated

Chapter I: Opportunity
    Chapter II: A Clash at Sea
    Chapter III: Van Durzen
    Chapter IV: Advance!
    Chapter V: A Taste of Battle
    Last edited by NCR; June 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM.

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: A Dutch Resurgence: Empire Total War AAR

Chapter 1: Opportunity
    The Netherlands, in the year 1700, was in moving towards a new destiny. Fresh off a new election and the near death of William of Orange, the government looked to expand. In the Caribbean, pirates roamed free, plundering and killing merchants, while in India, the Indian powers were looking to go to war with each other. Europe was on the edge of war, with the death of William, King of England. France and Spain sharpened their swords, looking greedily towards the Netherlands.

The first order of business, as dictated by the Republic, was to modernize the military. The Dutch Army was extremely inadequate, especially the 1st Army, charged with the defense of the Netherlands and the capital. The entire army was overhauled, with the disbanding of the militia, gendarmerie, and pike regiments, and new regiments were raised; professional line infantry and regiments of horse, while research was being pumped into new weapons for the army.

But where to direct these forces? Some wanted to invade the weak and disunited German states; others wanted to invade India to take advantage of the chaos that was sure to erupt. Others still wanted to take the Barbary States, while one madman proposed invaded Great Britain. There was arguing for days, until finally, a consensus from a majority broke through. The pirate nations in the Caribbean were still running wild. It was decided, right then and there, that they would subjugated and the islands added. Death to the blasted pirates! one man shouted during a meeting.

New regiments were also raised in the Caribbean for the proposed invasions. Native Americans were paid handsomely, while colonial line infantry were being raised to form the basis of the new army. Christened the 2nd Army, they were the ones who were to be responsible for fighting for the United Provinces in the New World.

The Dutch Navy was one of the strongest in the world, but it was overstretched. Since trade was the primary source of income for the United Provinces, it was decided to reinforce the Navy as well. The Indian Squadron was directed to head to East Africa in order to shore up the trade routes, while new ships were going to be built in order to replace them. The European fleet remained near the Netherlands, in case England or the French decided to invade. The Caribbean Squadron was also strengthened, building up in order to face the pirate threat.

The 5th rate Fanfaron was commanded by Vice Admiral Gerard Callenburgh. Born and raised in the Netherlands, the man had been born a sailor. His nickname was Son of the Waves and his ability to command was second to none. He had been the commander of the European fleet before he had been stripped of his command due to him refusing to marry his daughter to a certain powerful merchant family. Sent to the hot and wet Caribbean, he was now in charge one of the most important theaters of war. Joining his fleet was the 6th rate Zevenwolden and the sloop of war Europa. A brig was being constructed in Otrobanda. At the end of 1700, she was added to the Squadron and christened Vlissingen.
    Brigadier General Joost van Duzen was chosen to be in command of the 2nd Army.

Rear Admiral Jan van der Crabben, determined to show his worth, lead the fluyts Boetselaer and Huis te Neck and the brig Wolfswinkel against the pirate lord Frederico Calles, renowned for his savagery and cunning. Commanding the xebec Dragon D’Argent, along with two others,he was determined to claim the East Indies, or at least the Dutch trading fleet.

In an early morning fog, the two clashed.

Last edited by NCR; June 27, 2017 at 02:12 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I like this! Playing as the Netherlands, with a region at the start of the game in the Americas, Europe and India, offers great opportunities and also real vulnerability. I enjoyed (and could relate to) the debate about where the Netherlands should send the newly modernised military. Since the Dutch navy inflicted a devastating defeat on the British navy in the Raid on the Medway in 1667, I can see why one adviser would suggest attacking Britain - I can also see why other leaders of the Republic would think it madness to take the risk of attacking another major power, when much more vulnerable targets are available. I like the way that you engage readers with the report of the attack on Trinidad and Tortuga - and leave us wondering what will happen when Read Admiral van der Crabben's fleet engages the pirates led by Frederico Calles in the fog. I look forward to finding out what will happen next...

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Thanks Alwyn! I like playing as the Netherlands; they're relatively strong but overstretched and vulnerable on all fronts. And I thank you for your kind words!

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Chapter 2: A Clash at Sea

Rear Admiral Jan van der Crabben looked through his looking glass to see the approaching pirate fleet. Three xebecs, lead by the Dragon D’Argent, were approaching in single column. He signalled for the fleet to follow the Wolfswinkel, the twenty-six gun brig ready to head into the fight. And with the fog dissipating, he could see the black flag of the pirates flap in the wind.

“These pirates are very confident in themselves,” he muttered. He needed a victory; being in command of the East Indies trading fleet had been a great honor. The trading routes he had established brought nearly half of the trade income. However, they were boring and it was hot and sweaty here. At least I’m not in the Caribbean. There, Callenburgh would have to defend the United Provinces from the English, French, and Spanish, and the pirate nations. Crabben wanted glory, but he didn’t want to die.

He signalled for the three ships to start sailing towards the approaching pirate column. Wolfswinkel lead the column, the thirteen guns on its starboard side trained on the Flying Dutchman. The pirate ship fired first, the xebec’s port guns firing, rippling cannons creating puffs of smoke and thunder. Most of the cannons missed, though one struck a cannon and disabled it, along with killing half-a dozen crewmen. The Wolfswinkel answered with a vengeance, cannons roaring, the thirteen gun broadside striking straight in the mass of the Flying Dutchman, disabling six guns and killing a dozen pirates. The Huis Te Neck and the Boetselaer swung around and blasted the Dragon D’Argent and the other xebec with cannon fire.

The two columns became intertwined. In the flurry of smoke and flame, the Dragon D’Argent attempted to board the Wolfswinkel but was driven away by a combination of cannon fire and cursing. The Flying Dutchman was caught in between the Huis te Neck and the Wolfswinkel. Managing to scare the Wolfswinkel away with two broadsides and then turning against the Huis te Neck, it tried to run, only to be rammed by the Boetselaer. The ramming caused the captain of the Flying Dutchman to strike his colors, the xebec having thirteen guns disabled and over half of her crew killed, the Flying Dutchman was boarded by Dutch marines and taken over, the colors of the United Provinces flying proudly.

This lead to Calles blind with fury. Ordering a charge, he swung his Dragon D’Argent around and blasted the Huis te Neck with chain shot, breaking its mast and disabling it. However, a broadside from the Huis te Neck destroyed the rest of the Dragon D’Argent cannons. The death of the first officer persuaded Calles to break off the battle and he fled the scene, with his swift and agile ships being able to outrun the slower fluyts.

The battle ended in a United Provinces victory. The xebec Flying Dutchman was added to the East Indies fleet. The two remaining ships fled back to their covens somewhere.

With the defeat of the pirate fleet, the United Provinces had their trading fleets secure.
    Last edited by NCR; June 27, 2017 at 02:12 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

A well-told sea battle, with great images! I wonder if General Joost van Duzen's attack against the forces of Benjamin Hein will succeed.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I like your descriptions of the battle, NCR. And, as Alwyn says, your pictures are an excellent complement to your words. I'm hoping for more.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Great sea battle. Don't see too many of those around here. Keep up the good work. + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

I always auto resolve ship battles in Empire Total War, but this naval battle makes me want to play naval battle, and that's saying something.

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Chapter III: Van Durzen

My love,

I write this letter as I have been given command of the 2nd Army in the Caribbean! The Republic has given me the distinct honor of leading this force against the pirate nations that plague our trade routes and these islands. It is a great command and I wish that you can be here.

How is our son and daughter? It pains me that I cannot be closer to you, especially since the children are growing up. How is Willem? How is little Anika? I will send Willem a letter of his own since he is learning to read. They’re growing up fast and I feel like a failure as a father that I cannot see them grow up.

Once the situation here has calmed down, I will send for you and the children. It is hot here, but you always hated the Netherlands. Send my regards to the neighbors and tell your father in law that the next payment should be in a couple of weeks. Damn bankers and their loans…

With all my love.

Your husband and servant,

Joost van Durzen

The ‘army’ I had been chosen to lead was little. When I had been raised to command them, they were little more than a regiment of militia. Now, in a season of recruiting, there were four regiments of line infantry, and that was it. An army raised in the Caribbean was small indeed. But that worked in favor.

The enemy was small as well. Pirates were sailors, not soldiers, marauders, not conquerors. Their few holdings in the Caribbean are supposed to be holdings for their ill-gotten treasures, not full-blown settlements that can support armies.

As I gather my men, reports flooded with the merchant ships. Apparently, we have signed a treaty of alliance with three nations! Prussia, Westphalia, and Hanover all signed treaties with us, allowing us to breath easier in Europe. Though the Spanish menace still lingers in Flanders, now we have friends who will aid us!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

We have come full circle. Soon I will set sail and destroy the first of the pirate holdings. No longer shall our ships fear to fly the Dutch flag! No longer shall they fear the skull and crossbones. I shall make my country proud!

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Hi everyone! This AAR is back! I have decided to restart, but since this is so early in the AAR, this worked out perfectly. Just cut out some stuff and added others. Chapters will be longer than this, but wanted to get back in the groove. Hope you're all interested!

Welcome back, NCR!

I like your new chapter - I hope things will go well for van Durzen.

I like the simplicity of this aar .Plus i love ETW .ETW forums is my real home on TWC and its always good to see a new aar here .Keep writing .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Chapter 4: ADVANCE!

Before we left for Trinidad, I had to attend to matters of the state with the Governor-General. Apparently, our scholars had learned that you could ‘plug’ a bayonet into a musket and make it like a pike. All well and good, except
    you can’t fire a musket with a plug bayonet. We had exchanged that technology with the Prussians for their vaunted ‘square formation’ which allowed infantry to face cavalry like never before. With bayonets, my infantry would be more than a match for any cavalry who dared face us.

Maybe we’d be able to research a bayonet that you could use while firing your weapon. Now that’d be novel and good.

In addition to this, the Netherlands was in a state of upheaval as head minister after head minister was replaced. Finally, we settled on one who was relatively competent. God forgive us for taking so long to find such a man who wasn’t a total imbecile.

Spoiler: Pic for Grand Pensionary

The pirate fleets had scattered from the Caribbean, leaving their island holdings open for the taking. Despite only having three regiments under my command, I took the gamble.

The fleet departed Punda without fanfare. Hundreds of men said goodbye to their families and friends. I had a quiet moment with my servant, Theodora, who had been serving my family for over twenty years, ever since I was a child. My mother died young and in a way, Theodora raised me. She was the closest thing to a mother I ever had.

The fleet made way to Trinidad. When we arrived at the port, we quickly arrived at the settlement. There, I sat with representatives from the pirate militias who had suddenly aroused themselves to defend their homes. Their leader, a cur by the name of Samuel Baker, was a man of many scars and one leg. He spat when we met.

“Surrender. You’re outnumbered, outgunned, and have no way of reinforcement. The fleet occupies your port and soon nothing will come here. I will allow you to remain in peace as long as you follow Republic law,” I bartered and the old man sat back in his chair, thinking.

“The first thing that comes to my mind is to say screw you and go on my merry way,” he said crassly. But sense prevailed in the end. “These boys are just that. Boys. All the men sailed off with the ships and left their sons to defend themselves out in this world. I won’t let that happen. San Jose de Oruna is yours. Just leave these boys in peace.”

I promised him that I would. Why would I break that promise? There was no reason to and the old man saw it in my eyes. He gave the order to surrender and the boys in ragged clothing breathed a sigh of relief. I did as well.

There is no honor in kicking a downed dog.

My men occupied the town and confiscated the mortars the pirates had in defense, but allowed the militias to disperse peacefully with their weapons. Several of my men had come down with yellow fever, however, and left my regiments undermanned. Fortunately for the army, two regiments of colonial line infantry had set sail from Punda and reinforced my meager army.

I sat down with my regimental commanders and pondered. Should we set sail for Antigua in the Leeward Islands? It was a gamble, but the pirate fleets were nowhere in sight and the Caribbean fleet dominated this part of the ocean. I decided to set sail for the Leeward Islands. Along the way, we received word that the trading fleet in the East Indies had managed to destroy a pirate fleet and captured the flagship of the dreaded Frederico Calles! Great news. The pirates were weakening.

It was time to strike. We head for Antigua.

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    I like the simplicity of this aar .Plus i love ETW .ETW forums is my real home on TWC and its always good to see a new aar here .Keep writing .
    Thanks mad orc! Trying to keep it simple but hopefully we'll ramp up the complexity. I love ETW as well, though I do wish there was a bit more personality to the characters. I will keep writing!

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Welcome back, NCR!

I like your new chapter - I hope things will go well for van Durzen.
    Thanks! It's good to be back and with summer, I can dedicate some time to this. New chapter coming in every week!

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Chapter 5: Taste of Battle

My army landed right on the doorstep of Antigua. It was a small and quaint town, more suited to drunken brawls at night and lively music than the sound of battle drums in the early morning. It was starting to rain, God seemingly punishing the town. But who was he punishing it for? I sent a quick prayer to the heavens and reminded myself to double my contribution to the church next Sunday.

I rode forward, having sent a messenger from my personal bodyguard asking for a parley. We were sitting on the edge of town, waiting. What was taking so long? When I had done this last time, the pirates, though rude and curd, replied within half an hour. It had been almost an hour when something boomed in the distance.

I looked through my spyglass and shuttered. The pirate artillery had opened up. Mortar battery after mortar battery fired in the morning dew with spews of fire from their mouths. Mountains of dirt erupted all around us and my men started to die. It was their first taste of battle.

As was mine.

"Forward!" I yelled at them as I mounted my horse. "Forward into town! Use the houses as cover but for God's sake, don't do anything but move forward!"

The mortars continued to pound us, killing men everywhere. But my men were brave and loyal to the cause and ran through that hailstorm of stone and death. Even as chunks of dirt flew in their faces, they were undaunted in the face of adversity. I was never prouder as I galloped past them, intent on ending that damned mortar battery! As I flew into the town, I saw the head of the messenger.

Damn dishonorable savages!

I could see it clearly now, as I pressed my horse forward, much faster than I had ever in my life. The battery was sheltered by trees and tall grass, but I could see them! Behind them stood the ranks of the pirate militias who had I ordered my bodyguards to ready their sabers and soon we were in there, fighting.

The pirate militias who had formed into messy and unprofessional ranks fired on us, but most of their shots missed. My blade went through the crew of the battery like a knife through warm butter and soon I had called the retreat, galloping past the lines of men who were now forming their own ranks. Half of my guard fell, but we made it through the ranks of the infantry.

"Prepare to exchange fire with these miscreants," I said and my aide passed down my order to the regimental commanders. "Fire when ready and wipe away these vermin."

"Make ready!" the captains ordered and that order was passed down to the sergeants. The colonial line infantrymen readied their arms.

"Aim!" and the shuffling of hundreds of muskets in near perfect synchronization brought a joy to my heart. They aimed it straight at the pirate militias, old men, young men, and I dare say, even a few women. The death of their beloved pirate kingdoms and republics was soon apparent to them.

"FIRE!"

The rippling fire of two hundred men tore through the pirate ranks. They returned fire, but it was ineffective. Reloading, the dreaded reloading, took thirty seconds. I had heard that the British infantry, our allies, could fire three times in a single minute. We would have to train harder to match them.

"FIRE!"

Over and over that command was heard over the shouts of men and the dying throes of friend and foe alike.

"FIRE!"

Finally, the pirates saw sense. They broke and ran away, to the hills, to their hideaways. They didn't know it, but it was the last time any of them would dare call themselves pirates.

The pirate nation was no more. No longer would our sea routes be raided, our merchant ships plundered, and our women raped. No longer would our sailors be impressed into piracy and no longer would these pirates would be allowed a safe haven. We sent a message to every single pirate left out there. The free nations of the world will not cower in fear.

The message was clear. And the pirates got it.

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Also, do you think photos should be in spoilers or left as is? Can be different i.e, leave battle pics as is and have things like tech and characters in spoilers, or both.

I quite like the pictures as they are now.

Also, I enjoyed your description of that battle - that was nicely done.

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    I quite like the pictures as they are now.

Also, I enjoyed your description of that battle - that was nicely done.
    Thank you! I'll keep the pictures the way it is.

[QUOTE=NCR;15352088]Thanks mad orc! Trying to keep it simple but hopefully we'll ramp up the complexity. I love ETW as well, though I do wish there was a bit more personality to the characters. I will keep writing!

I like the pirate chapter very much .Though i am much more ruthless and never show mercy!!About the character personality .Thats why we write aar's .To create our own enhancements to already well made games .Keep writing .Great stuff .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast