Thread: English Campaign Difficulty Mod

Icon10 English Campaign Difficulty Mod

Some people find the Campaign just way to easy. I've made a mini-mod (i guess) to fix-change this as much as i could with some minor map editing and Descr_Strat editing

• An Harder English Campaign
    • Your infrastructure is slightly less than before
    • The Scots are more powerful
    • Its much harder to blitz nearby cities
    • Edited Diplomacy Values
    • France is more powerful than before
    • All factions that are playable are unlocked (no mongol/aztec)
    • Land bridge connecting England to the Mainland
    • And a few other little things.
    • France, Scotland and other factions should be Much more Agressive
    • Edited Farming Values!

This mod is ONLY ment to be played as England. All the other factions can be played but, they will either be overpowered, underpowered or, they may have a neighbor that doesnt play as it usually would.

A known issues with this:
    the Scots are very aggressive early on especially.
    The land bridge works perfectly fine but, its visually challenged (see link below)

I would like to beleive i've setup the ideal Difficulty for TW Veterans that are looking for *Real* challenge. I Myself, have had the hardest game (and fun) , i've ever played on any TW w/ this mod.

English Difficulty V1.02. (newest)
    English Difficulty V1.00 (old).

A couple of quick tips if you're playing this and find it exceedingly difficult. Ransom! off enemy units early on for extra $$ even if its only for 500$ thats +1 unit or less upkeep expenses. Change York to a fortress (or once captured) and have the other as a city... Scots are very aggressive. If you get enough $$ get a fleet and destroy the besieging enemy fleet. Once again, The Farm Values are LOWERED so, it will be harder to setup a Strong Farming Economy. I Also suggest you actually employ Spy's to view and scout out easy targets. Use the Easier Descr_Strat if you have to or, go to the previous Version.

Instructions to install/use the mod are in the Readme file.
    Enjoy.
    Last edited by KIllerGecko; December 01, 2006 at 11:05 PM.

Default Re: English Campaign Difficulty

That is a good idea for people who are big English fans but I think though that it was good they made England not too hard because its probably the first faction most people play, and helps being slightly easier till you really get the hang of the game.

If I remember correctly (been years since I played Med1) there used to be a land link between Europe and England so that you didnt need to ferry accross in ships. If that was the case in Med1 they should have kept that because England so far for me has never had an army invasion by sea. Whereas in Med1 France used to be alot more aggressive in attacking England.

Maybe someone could confirm this for me aswell..

what about the army invading at the battle of hastings?
    these were invaders from flanders ,normandie ,;;;
    Vlaanderen de leeuw

Actually England wa invaded several times after the Norman conquest.
    1215 The French landed in Southern England
    1338 Southmpton was taken and burnt
    1340 Edward III's victory at Sluys destroyed the French fleet and rpevented an invasion
    Throughout the Hundred 'years war the south coast wass subjected to numerous raids.

so ,
    nobody was save that time
    Vlaanderen de leeuw

scottn72's Avatar Civis

I quite like how England has an easier start to the game, it's a useful way of trying things out, but good luck with the modified version you did.

I suppose if you plan on playing England a lot it would be good to make the start more challenging.
    "Fit like, ..."

Soryn Arkayn's Avatar Decanus

I'm currently playing as England and I was disappointed at how passive the Scottish and French were initially. I didn't form alliances with either (because I knew that they'd be hollow and one of us would inevitably betray the other), but I traded and exchanged map info with them and occassionally gifted them a pittance of 100 florins to maintain our So-So relations. It wasn't until I was embroiled in wars against the HRE and Danish that the Scots besieged York and a few turns later the French attacked Bruges (both of which were lightly garrisoned and easy targets, at the time).

If the Scots and French had been more aggressive, they probably would've attacked me sooner instead of the HRE, which would've made my early game much more interesting (it wasn't until Turn ~30 that HRE suddenly attacked Antwerp).

scottn72's Avatar Civis

You could always adjust the relationship value in descr_strat for Scotland and France towarsd England from -0.2 to a lower value e.g -0.8. This would make them more aggressive towards you right from the beginning.
    "Fit like, ..."

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

moved to mod threads
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

You could always adjust the relationship value in descr_strat for Scotland and France towarsd England from -0.2 to a lower value e.g -0.8. This would make them more aggressive towards you right from the beginning.
    Actually they are -0.8 w/ england and france is -0.6 w/ england. Just something about scotland makes them so passive early on, im gonna try changing them to a more aggressive ai type (aka Genghis instead of napoleon)

After playing this Through 2 times, I've decided ill work on an "easier" version. 50 turns into the game and im still barely hanging on, much less actually gaining any land. Ill either post the easier version today or tomarrow, ill leave the harder version up for those that still want it.

Quote Originally Posted by KIllerGecko View Post
    After playing this Through 2 times, I've decided ill work on an "easier" version. 50 turns into the game and im still barely hanging on, much less actually gaining any land. Ill either post the easier version today or tomarrow, ill leave the harder version up for those that still want it.
    Isn't that good thing? Usually by turn 50 I own most of Western Europe and #1 across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagda View Post
    Isn't that good thing? Usually by turn 50 I own most of Western Europe and #1 across the board.
    Yeah, its a good thing but, im going to have an easier version along side it, ill simply upload it with the updates to the map.
    So either late tonight or actually tomorrow ill be releasing a newer version. some edits to the map I've done didn't go over how i planned so, ill have to change it.
    for example i left a territory marker in Crete that belonged to Venice. Hoping this would lead to who ever controlled Venice, to take over Crete. Instead when the Venetians lost Venice, they had a full stack right next to the tiny square of territory from Venice. This also happened in a couple of other places. Not really that big of a problem but, a problem none the less.
    In the upcoming version ill be releasing two Descr_Strat's an easy version and a hard version. Easy is a very relative term, itl be easier than the hard but, still not "easy". Along with that, I've made a few AI changes in the central Europe and far east. I tested a campaign as Denmark in it (like hell im gonna be england in that map to see how the far east AI works out) By turn 50, The eastern factions were giant, Hungary/Poland were easily the super powers, Milan had Venice and HRE as a vassal state and France was giant. So yes, im very content with the way the AI outside of the england-France region is already working in the newest version. So if you get out of england and start conquering France, you will have figurative giants on you if you don't play it right .
    Also in the new version im going to have edited farming values. While this wont be good for england especially early on, it helps later on by having less squaler (actually less people)
    On a last note, any one who's playing this Please leave a post or a msg if versions you have already played are good, and if i should keep doing this

Default Re: English Campaign Difficulty Mod

Alright, All the little bugs i found in previous versions (really just the Edited Regions) are fixed. I will not be releasing another version enless either Asked, the patch comes out, Or i find another larger mod that will let me make a "mini-mod" off of their mod. Check the Top of the Page for the new version.

Quick Question: Is this compatible with the Regnum Dei - All Factions version 1.8.0 Iron mod?

No, it is not compatible, ill try to make a version of this, off of another mod later. As for now, this is how the mod stands, its solo, just slap in the files on a unmodded mtw2. Later on, once the patch comes out, ill probly ask to make a "Difficulty" mod for a faction or 2 on it.

Just a quick note to say thanks very much to KillerGecko for making this Mod available. I am playing it on VH/VH with the most difficult descr strat file.

It makes the game a huge challenge and exciting. If a game is too easy I become bored so the Mod is most welcome.