Thread: Sicily

Icon1 Sicily

I'm so curious about Kingdom of Sicily.
    So, just two questions:

1) Which city of southern Italy is going to be capital? I hope Naples. It will be the most influential city even during the Kingdoms of two Sicilies. And the biggest one, with an incredible wealth and technological leadership among italy states before the unification. But that concerns 1800s.
    Anyways, I really hope it wouldn't be a simply fishing village beneath the control of Palermo/Benevento/Taranto.

2) I'd love to have in the Sicilian army the same mix of norman and muslim units that we all admired in MTW2 plus SS (can't forget those guys, the "Sicilian Norman Knights"! Powerfull on the battlefield). Can you reveal something about that?

My regards to the whole team for all the work you are doing. Amazing.

Default Re: Sicily

1. Palermo was the capital of the Kingdom of Sicily up until the early 1800s. Palermo was the largest city on the island and heavily fortified after years of fighting between the Normans and Muslims. Also thanks to the Normans, Palermo became a center of Arab, Latin and Byzantine art and architecture.

2. The Normans lost control of the kingdom of Sicily to the Holy Roman Empire house of Hohenstaufen. They Imperial forces in 1194 unfortunately expelled most of the Muslim population of Sicily. Sicily would probably have access to Norman units along with Italian, Sicilian and possibly German themed units.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskin View Post
    1. Palermo was the capital of the Kingdom of Sicily up until the early 1800s. Palermo was the largest city on the island and heavily fortified after years of fighting between the Normans and Muslims. Also thanks to the Normans, Palermo became a center of Arab, Latin and Byzantine art and architecture.

2. The Normans lost control of the kingdom of Sicily to the Holy Roman Empire house of Hohenstaufen. They Imperial forces in 1194 unfortunately expelled most of the Muslim population of Sicily. Sicily would probably have access to Norman units along with Italian, Sicilian and possibly German themed units.
    1) C'ant argue that. As I said, Naples was the main city of the southern Italy only after 1800, when the Kingdom was taken by Bourbons. Buona per Palermo!

2) Wonderfull. But I loved muslim archers in SS. Hope they are going to be replaced by a unit equally strong.

Thank you for the reply. And good luck.

*can't

In regards to Sicilian capital, there is an issue - namely, we can't change the placement of settlements, and on vanilla grand campaign map there is only Syracuse on the island. The settlements on the mainland will be: Taranto, Naples and Reggio. I think the best solution would be to keep the capital on the island, in Syracuse. It's physically closer to Palermo, and in Naples there is an emergent faction (Angevin Kingdom of Naples), so it would be best if those two factions, Sicily and Naples, could exist at the same time, both with their original capitals - sort of to reflect the two kingdoms of Sicily that happened after the Aragonese conquest, the realms "before and behind the lighthouse"

Why you can't change the placement of settlements? It's a pity.
    Palermo is on the opposite side of Sicily, facing mediterranean sea, while Syracuse looks at Ionio.
    They aren't so physically close at all.

I really like the idea of Naples as emergent faction.
    Regarding the settlementes on the mainland, which one is going to be minor city?
    Do you have a tool that allows to modify this aspect of the game?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

You can't change map and city placement, you can't pick which city is capital of the province and which is minor. CA made it hardcoded without tools only they can release, which they won't.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

CA began to hardcode that stuff with Empire (warscape). We have to get used to the fact that they will not give modders the opportunity again. In the contrary, more options are sealed behind this "curtain". I'm happy with what we get and that it is possible to have a mod like Medieval.
    EN TIBI UT SENTIAS QUAM VILE CORPUS SIT IIS QUI MAGNAM GLORIAM VIDENT
    C. MUCIUS SCAEVOLA

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Shogun 2 got map editing tools but only 3-5 guys used it .

Viva Espana!'s Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    You can't change map and city placement, you can't pick which city is capital of the province and which is minor. CA made it hardcoded without tools only they can release, which they won't.
    Why won't they release it? Why does CA suck so much, now?
    "To admit defeat, is to commit a heresy against the Emperor." - Imperial Proverb.
    "Well... that was unexpected." - Last words of Chaos Lord Ulakar the Undefeatable.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

It's not that they won't, it's that they can't and they can't because it doesn't exist. If they give out the tools they use then anybody could make a Total War GAME never mind mods and that's generally considered a bad business plan. They could easily make a tool that would allow modders to create maps but the current map is so far integrated into other things like the AI that any new maps would be unplayable. From their comments, they would like to make a tool that ticks every criteria but that would take too much time and resources that are better devoted to other things. As Frozenmen said, there isn't even a guarantee a tool would even be used by more than a handful of people.

And before anybody says they make money of people buying the game for mods, there's no way those profits will come anywhere near the kind they'll be making off Warhammer soon.

While Warhammer itself won't be supported, I think the best we can hope for is they change the way they build campaign maps so they can release a tool for the next historical game.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Viva Espana!'s Avatar Semisalis

I'm not saying people buy their games for their mods. I'm saying Med 2 is clearly better because it's moddable. And if there were tools for Med 2... why aren't their tools for the new generation? Like, I literally don't get it. People essentially MADE their own total wars already (Third Age, Warhammer, Broken Crescent, etc.) and it made the game so much more valuable, personally. What stops them from doing the same? To the point about buying, though, I don't even bother buying Rome/Attila when they come out because they're just not worth as much as moddable Med 2.
    "To admit defeat, is to commit a heresy against the Emperor." - Imperial Proverb.
    "Well... that was unexpected." - Last words of Chaos Lord Ulakar the Undefeatable.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Well, there weren't ANY tools from CA for Medieval 2. To be honest, support from CA was actually the best around Shogun 2/Rome 2/Attila. Eariler games were simply much simplier in case of files, for example units were described by maybe 10-20% of variables that are in current games.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

It's a pity that the only most visible aspect of "moddability" in TW games is the campaign map. Without campaign modding most people assume that the game isn't moddable at all and think it's utter garbage because of that. While it is a big drawback, the big chunk of the rest of the game is editable, more or less easily. Couple that with CA creation kits for Rome 2 and Attila and you can have very good and complex mods like DeI pop up. I don't know if they can challenge Europa Barbarorum or a couple mods for Med 2 (Bellum Crucis, Stainless Steel, Deus Lo Vult and Broken Crescent for example), but there they are - they're good beacons of modding for games that the community has given up on because they can't >visually< see the possibilities.

Heck, with CA tools, even I could make a personal mod for Rome 2 adding several units to the game with unique graphics, and I made no mod before that. Looking at Med 2 mod files - mostly in text formats - makes me shiver in terror.