Thread: Stainless Steel Singleplayer Issues

Default Stainless Steel Singleplayer Issues

Hey. I'm having a lot of problems with my Stainless Steel singleplayer campaigns. I usually play on H/H and with Lusted AI.

In my first campaign as Denmark, Norway starts out with a much better castle than yours which can produce better heavy inf. This was fine at first since I was stomping them in Scandinavia anyway. However, going to the HRE or Poland for any alliances almost always resulted in failure. No matter what they refused to ally with me. Even if the offer was considered very generous. So of course I get a full HRE stack and a half at my capital after a few turns preparing to attack. Then an excommunication, then suddenly Norway is able to defeat my army simply because they would not rout no matter how many losses they took in the battle. So thanks to that, I lost my main army, and my Arhus garrison is basically just spammed spear militia against HRE heavy inf and knights so I figured this wasn't going anywhere.

Another time this happened with the Novgorod faction. I try and try to form alliances, no one takes them. And I get ganged up on by both the Cumans who have two full deathstacks coming into my settlements and the Kievan Rus who manage to take a settlement only with their general and a few mercs because generals are OP as hell still and my militias despite outnumbering him significantly could not kill him. I had lost three settlements by this point and now Lithuania was going to attack me. Needless to say I quit at this point.

You get the picture. What exactly is happening here? Every game I try ends this way with full stacks of spammed AI armies invading en masse and I can't get anyone to ally with me. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just have to be hyper aggressive and take all their stuff before they take my stuff and start cheesing the game? I really would rather not. This seems to happen with every game I'm playing with this mod and I have to say it's significantly damaging my enjoyment of the mod. It's a great mod, but it's not great when it seems no matter what I do, doomstacks will spam at me unless I simply go to war with everyone.

I wasn't getting any answers in the other thread so I figured I'd make my own.

Default Re: Stainless Steel Singleplayer Issues

If no faction wants to ally with you, even if your offer is very generous than your reputation is too low. That is caused by... declaring war / attacking a faction, sacking or exterminating populations, execute prisoners or simply by taking a settlement which is close to your neighbours. Religion might be an issue too (depending on the AI). Sometimes you will end up with anyone at war (at least for a few turns) but thats the thrill of this mod.

Enemy Bodyguards are a pain in the ass i know, if the general has some traits that boost moral it is not likely that his army will ever route unless you kill him. Its better to focus on that and make use of ranged units (or javelins) and your cavalry to finish off generals quick.
    Last edited by Riva; January 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM.

Nah my reputation was at least mixed, or even reliable with Novgorod. It didn't seem like the AI was interested in alliances and was out to get me since that's how it mostly acts in vanilla M2TW. I don't get the thrill then if the mod is basically slinging stacks at you that are just obnoxious to fight. This all happens around turn 20 by the way, I think I'm just going to try the late campaign and not bother with the early campaign. Some of the factions are borderline unplayable due to this.

Dunedain Ranger's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Schittzo View Post
    Nah my reputation was at least mixed, or even reliable with Novgorod. It didn't seem like the AI was interested in alliances and was out to get me since that's how it mostly acts in vanilla M2TW. I don't get the thrill then if the mod is basically slinging stacks at you that are just obnoxious to fight. This all happens around turn 20 by the way, I think I'm just going to try the late campaign and not bother with the early campaign. Some of the factions are borderline unplayable due to this.
    I only have experience with the savage AI. But here is my advice. It might work for lusted, too.

You need to have a good reputation before you ask for an alliance. If you don't have a diplomat at turn 1, make one immediately. Always save before using diplomacy since after rejecting a proposal they are less inclined to accept anything later. Ask the HRE as soon as possible since your reputation to all factions is decreasing over time. Gift them a lot of money (i mean A LOT) until your reputation is really high. Then ask for an alliance + some florins if they don't accept anything without additional florins. Don't ask for military access at the beginning yet because the AI hates that. Save it for later. Since the Danes only have cities at the beginning and zero castles, you are rich as hell. So don't be cheap. Even if they don't want to have an alliance with you, you can buy time by having good relations to the HRE. Don't forget to give them more florins after some turns since the relations are decreasing almost all the time.

Additional tips: Make lots of ships, too. Since Norway just loves to use them as transport, you can kill whole stacks by sinking their ships. Be prepared to fight Scottish invasions after you have conquered Norway. I'm not even joking. ;P

I've used diplomacy for many factions and it's working like a charm. If you are a catholic faction, it's well adviced to buy the Pope, too. You will have enough florins anyway.
    Just remember that if there are any crusades or djihads involved, the AI doesn't care about current relations as far as i know. So don't play as Egypt and try to buy the European factions and vice versa. Expect total war.
    Last edited by Dunedain Ranger; February 02, 2016 at 05:14 PM.