Thread: to the skinners

Default to the skinners

i got a few questions:

1) is it possible to make dismounted templars/hospitallers/teutonic knights just by editing the desc files.
    2) change the horses ex:i want to give english knights regular plain looking horses and i want to give heavy armor to gendarmes
    3) i want to give some dismountedknights the extra upgrade so they can look look like the heavy mounted knights (ex papal states, dismounted men at arms, fully upgraded armor)
    4) change the weapons from longswords to swords with shields or maces to swords,etc
    Last edited by misfitsfiend138; November 27, 2006 at 08:16 PM.

KALI's Avatar Senator

Default Re: to the skinners

Quote Originally Posted by misfitsfiend138 View Post
    i got a few questions:

1) is it possible to make dismounted templars/hospitallers/teutonic knights just by editing the desc files.
    2) change the horses ex:i want to give english knights regular plain looking horses and i want to give heavy armor to gendarmes
    3) i want to give some dismountedknights the extra upgrade so they can look look like the heavy mounted knights (ex papal states, dismounted men at arms, fully upgraded armor)
    4) change the weapons from longswords to swords with shields or maces to swords,etc
    Wondering why there was no reply.....well you probably worked it out by now.
    We're all crying into our coffee as there's very little hope of any skinning in the foreseeable future. CA announced that, whilst there working on it, there is no way for us to edit skins and models even with the planned unpacker.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

Tom Servo's Avatar Semisalis

Actually you can probably do all these with just the desc files.

Legionario's Avatar Semisalis

yes?
    wow... that's a big improvement
    I had never known that someone could edit a model or a model's texture through a simple txt file....so we finally will get rid of all those expansive pieces of software just like Photoshop and 3 D Max....this is gonna be the biggest discovery of the century....
    Jesus.....
    E fra chi lo ascoltò,alcuni erano buoni
    molti erano malvagi,
    e molti non erano niente,
    come tutti gli uomini...in qualsiasi luogo....

if theres a will, theres a way, haha. seriously though, i really hope i could do the things from my first post

KALI's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Hmmm,
    your right....aslong as theres no new artwork to be added it should be possible to swop alot of stuff around with the new weapons assignment system. And creating a unit that uses existing models and skins is very straight forward. But any new units created this way will look very similar to existing units which kind of detracts from the visual aspect.
    But for any graphical or 3D changes and imporovements, you'll still need CS2 or 3DS max. If we manage to open the files that is.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

Tom Servo's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by KALI View Post
    Hmmm,
    your right....aslong as theres no new artwork to be added it should be possible to swop alot of stuff around with the new weapons assignment system. And creating a unit that uses existing models and skins is very straight forward. But any new units created this way will look very similar to existing units which kind of detracts from the visual aspect.
    But for any graphical or 3D changes and imporovements, you'll still need CS2 or 3DS max. If we manage to open the files that is.
    True they will look the same. I was kind of hoping for a file describing the unit with different parts for legs/arms/torso/head and weapons, but the files released last night actually hint that there are different models for all soldiers which is reduntant and painful for simple text editing. I guess we cant be 100% sure until the packer comes though.

i have another question. is anyone planning to make a new general skin? the generals look goofy, in my opinion. it would be bada$$ to make this the general or maybe the king/faction leader. http://www.gpstore.co.nz/images/products/lg1515494.jpg
    http://www.igromania.ru/wallpapers/i...4x768_1000.jpg

So there is no way for us to do any skinning until the unpacker comes out? there is an unpacker out, but I think it is just for text files.

LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!