Thread: CTD on Startup!

Default CTD on Startup!

I decided to redownload this mod after a time and I keep getting a CTD when I load the game.

I downloaded the 1.0 version just fine and played it a little bit it worked fine wit no CTD.

I didnt have the newest patch so I downloaded it from mediafire perfectly fine then ran the installer and everything went smoothly. Then I started the game and the RotK page popped up for a split second and I went back to desktop. Sorry if this has been answered before but I cant figure out why it happened. I tried uninstalling the mod and then starting from scratch and it still happens. Maybe the mediafire link is corrupted? I dont link torrents at all but is that the best way to get the new patch?

Default Re: CTD on Startup!

Sorry for the double post but I have continued to run into this problem. Its a damned shame since I loved the earlier patches and fixes and would love to play this again.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

That torrent has no chance of being corrupted\being 'malwared' or whatever (the small torrent file has been created and uploaded by myself) - as long as you use the link provided in the thread. A 'regular' download always runs the risk of being corrupted, a torrent not.

First perform the virtual store tutorial as mentioned in the OP of the download page and delete the Medieval ii total war folder, then try again. Should the error persist please check the readme sticky on how to submit a error report.

Installation
    Recommendation

• To avoid problems when applying patches and mod installations in general it is advisable to run this tutorial from step 3 onward and then to delete the Medieval II Total War folder in the virtual store folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    That torrent has no chance of being corrupted\being 'malwared' or whatever (the small torrent file has been created and uploaded by myself) - as long as you use the link provided in the thread. A 'regular' download always runs the risk of being corrupted, a torrent not.

First perform the virtual store tutorial as mentioned in the OP of the download page and delete the Medieval ii total war folder, then try again. Should the error persist please check the readme sticky on how to submit a error report.
    Sorry about the procedure for reports, slipped my mind. However I followed the steps and changed the log to trace and no log file was created at all. I attempted many times to open the game again with no log being produced. Virtual Store is learn

I may have a corrupt download of the patch, however everytime I try and use utorrent to get the torrent version it states, "Unable to save torrent to C: ext..." I have only used a torrent once so it may be a fundemental misunderstanding of where to save the file but as 1.0 version works I dont want to mess it up.

Blog Entries

You may be trying to save the torrent in a write protected folder, or require admin permission to do so. Usually it's the former.

Are you talking about the small torrent file that you download from here? Or the actual download? The procedure would be to download the compressed file and extract the torrent file. To proceed further you require a torrent application like utorrent. Once the application is installed you then simply double click the extracted torrent file and will then be presented with an option screen where to save the actual download, use the folder you have been saving into before if you have permission issues. You may receive a 'select default action' screen first to link the torrent file automatically with the application.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 29, 2016 at 11:49 PM.

Hmm, It all seemed to go well, still no log was made. It states I am using newest version but splash page pops up as usual and then CTD with no error message. I have tried both the Torrent and Mediafire DL methods both with clean 1.0 folders now. Does the patch file go into main M2TW file or does it get installed into mods/Three_Kingdoms? I believe its the top MTW folder since it states the proper file version in Config and splash screen appears with 1.04a patch in bottom right corner. Seems strange since 1.03 patch worked.

Maybe since I upgraded to windows 10 I need to take an extra step? I havent played this for at least 14 months so maybe it could have something to do with that?

Blog Entries

The game and the patch get installed in the top directory (Medieval II Total War). I am not sure if there is a possible virtual store issue like in prior system versions - check this tutorial from step 3 onward and delete the M2TW directory if it exists.
    Occasionally the log does not get generated, it should be in the M2TW\logs folder.

I just started the mod myself because I was puzzled about you mentioning the patch number in the bottom right corner. The splash screen hasn't got any numbers (first pic) and the menu has the number at the bottom left:

The game and the patch get installed in the top directory (Medieval II Total War). I am not sure if there is a possible virtual store issue like in prior system versions - check this tutorial from step 3 onward and delete the M2TW directory if it exists.
    Occasionally the log does not get generated, it should be in the M2TW\logs folder.

I just started the mod myself because I was puzzled about you mentioning the patch number in the bottom right corner. The splash screen hasn't got any numbers (first pic) and the menu has the number at the bottom left:

Hmm, I appear to only be getting the original 1.0 splash page then. Its the image of a castle. Ill try and reinstall, this is the first mod I downloaded since i upgraded to 10 so it is possible that their is some kind of change I am not seeing. I have done the tutorial fully and will try a simple reinstall and go from their with clean downloads. If the problem persists I will dig deeper into it and try and discover the problem. Thank you for your patience and help! I am not the most computer savy so I understand how frustrating it can be to help people.

Blog Entries

No problem, let us know if you still encounter problems.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Formerly with 2014 patches all worked well. Now after patch Patch 04a.exe I got only "uh oh" on campaign start.
    About that screen: there is no such loading screen in patch. I've installed it in false folder to get all those files and even manually transferred it into proper folder and no luck. The game starts with red dragon and castle screen (14-07-2013 splash file).
    So auto and manual ways failed.
    There should be an error in this patch - me thinks.
    I use Win XP - so no need to all those magic.

Blog Entries

I installed patch 04 into a separate directory and it confirms that there is no splash screen provided by it. However, the picture underneath is the first thing you see when I installed the basic mod from here - using the new splash screen as background (included in that installation). Very likely that you used the old (beta) version - that will be the cause of the problems.

Note: the basic installation provides two shortcuts (Steam and Regular) and the patch provides a third (combined, universal) short cut - make sure to use the combined one and delete the other two.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 11, 2016 at 07:28 PM.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

(..) Very likely that you used the old (beta) version - that will be the cause of the problems.

Note: the basic installation provides two shortcuts (Steam and Regular) and the patch provides a third (combined, universal) short cut - make sure to use the combined one and delete the other two.
    You are right. Thank you sir, it works now!
    The new darker splash is here finally (I don't like it, so I will replace it with old red dragon one). Campaign starts and everything looks ready.

Blog Entries

Great you got it working! Do feel free to modify anything you like, just make sure it still works afterward. Hope you enjoy the custom missions.

i keep getting application load error 2:0000065558...please help really want to play this mod just discovered it new to total war and i love dynasty warriors and the novels