Thread: Realistic legion formation

Default Realistic legion formation

Hi all,
    I recently reached the imperial reforms and would like to know how a realistic legion formation would look like in RS2.6. The republican army was quite easy to imitate since there are many examples on the internet, but I´m confused about how a numbered legion would look like in this game.

The army composition I currently use is the one from user Century X: http://romearises.wikifoundry.com/pa...+Legion+System

1 General
    1 1st Cohort
    9 Cohorts
    6 Auxilia Units (2 Spear Infantry, 2 Sword Infantry, 2 Antesignani)
    1 Archer Auxilia
    2 Legionary Cavalry

I did some research and found different variations of the formation:

In this one below 10 cohorts would form a double line and the light troops behind them would be archers and antesignani? Reserves would be Auxilia Infantry?

Here they combined 5 legions in one army it seems. In the game this would be an Infantry-only legion?

According to this site (http://romanarmy.info/deploy5_form/deploy_form.html) it would look like this (first line with 4 cohorts and then two lines with 3 cohorts each). But where would I place archers, antesignani and Aux. Infantry in this formation?:

Default Re: Realistic legion formation

Hello,
    I am honored that you are using my old system I wrote so many years ago.

There are many MANY variations on how the Romans used there army formations. The problem you run into is the limit the number of units the game allows you to use. If I can use double the units the game allows lets say 40 then I can use a TRUE Roman battle formation. But since I cannot we have to improv a little and try to get as close and efficient as possible.

Which ever formation you find best is the one you use but it all depends on the battle and the type of troops you are fighting as well as the terrain.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Thanks for the reply,

I found another version of the formation, similar to the 3rd one I posted above. This one is not difficult to recreate in the game. I would post a screenshot of my legion using this formation but I only get a black screen.
    But it would look like this:
    Frist line with light troops (antesignani and archer)
    Second line with 4 cohorts with the 1st cohort on the right flank
    Third line with3 cohorts
    Fourth line 3 cohorts
    Last line with auxiliary-infantry
    Cavalry on the flanks and general somewhere behind the cavalry

Source: http://kerberos-recreacion.com/un-po...gio-v-alavdae/

Some other sources say that light infantry was placed behind the cohorts, therefore you could also place antesignani and archers behind the legionaries and in front of the aux-infantry. That is the formation that I currently use in game, cohorts trying to hold the frontline while I flank the enemy with cavalry and aux-infantry.

I didn't try and answer originally - as there is no really good answer.

I've spent quite a while in research with this subject as a sideline and there is very little real information out there. For example the 4:4:3 formation that is supposedly the 'standard' for Late Republic/Caesarian and onwards, until Arrian's particular formation, is mentioned at just one battle. It therefore strikes me as mentioned because it was unusual in that regard and non-standard, but who knows.

The piccie is one I drew up to show (individual men) what I see as the Middle Republic Consular army deployed (in 3 stages lower to upper).

Apart from that - we all like to use archers; but the Romans barely had any in our time period....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Consular Army.JPG  
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    I've spent quite a while in research with this subject as a sideline and there is very little real information out there. For example the 4:4:3 formation that is supposedly the 'standard' for Late Republic/Caesarian and onwards, until Arrian's particular formation, is mentioned at just one battle. It therefore strikes me as mentioned because it was unusual in that regard and non-standard, but who knows.
    I wonder why there is so much information about the manipular legion but so little about the imperial legions. Did the late romans become too lazy to write down how the formations looked like?

Quote Originally Posted by Battlus Lostus View Post
    I wonder why there is so much information about the manipular legion but so little about the imperial legions. Did the late romans become too lazy to write down how the formations looked like?
    When attempting that 'primary' research (where I'm still hampered by not being able to read Latin or Ancient (let alone Modern!) Greek) by seeking original sources rather than anything 'modern' (ie post 1000AD); I discovered two things that partially answer that question...

Firstly, that Polybius (the main and best source IMHO of the Middle Republic 'manipular' legion) was a 'soldier-officer' and a definite facet of his writings on the Roman's system of raising and organising troops was compared to his Greek experiences - and he detailed (to our great gratitude). Subsequently many of the writers are either, at worst, academics or are 'Generals' with very different viewpoints.

Secondly, what we do have is possibly only the fraction that remains - who knows what is missing.

I'll also note that I get the impression, in those less literate times, and particularly when it comes to the Roman Legionaries and Centurions, that much wasn't often written down, but was passed down and became part of the job - the equivalent of the professional 'Sergeants' of more modern times.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.