Thread: Changing Flags 2: Supplementary questions and issues.

Default Changing Flags 2: Supplementary questions and issues.

I read the previous Changing the Flag thread from 2012, and based on the guidance given, I successfully replaced both the German and Soviet flags in my FTH expansion version of the game.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post12081619
    So, it worked.....I was very happy and began chugging along with my Soviet Campaign.

Then I decided that I didn't really like the default Japanese Battle Flag, and there were a few others which on researching them were not quite accurate. So, I figured that as I now know how to do it I would replace those to, and I did, but for some reason they haven't changed in the game and I'm not sure why. The only difference I can think of between what I did the first time and this last change was that the first time I used a raw image e.g. a .jpeg copied off the internet. and resized and saved it as a .tga using GIMP.

Whereas, this time I didn't need to as I had downloaded a folder of historic flags for HOI3, and so they were already sized and formated to use. All I did was copy them across. Not sure why that would make a difference to the game, unless there was something different about the pre-formatted flags that HOI3 doesn't like. But then I would have expected to get some sort of flag glitch, but what actually happens is the game just runs normally but the newly replaced flags just don't change. So, the game itself remembers what the old ones looked like, even though I've replaced them.

Any thoughts?

+++++
    I eventually sorted this issue out by trial and error, though I'm not sure why it was a problem in the first place.

It turned out that the solution was to open the flag file (e.g. jap.tga) in GIMP, save it again, and then copy it into the gfx/flag folder. For some reason just copying them direct from the mod folder of alternative flags didn't work, even though they were the right format and size.
    Last edited by Didz; February 02, 2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: correcting typo's

Default Re: Changing Flags 2: Supplementary questions and issues.

You might need to remove the flag_files tga file (not sure if exact name) which is generated which might be in the same folder as the flags. If you already removed it then a new one is generated in your my documents/paradox game/hoi3 folder somewhere in a flag directory. Each time you put new replacement flags in you need to remove it from there to let the game generate a new flag_files file which will contain the new flags.

Make sure to backup the old "flag files" file and old flags if you change your mind.

If this didn't work just check the dimensions of the flag is the same as the others (in pixels) and make sure and that the new flags have the same file name as the ones you want to replace.

Default Re: Changing Flags 2: Supplementary questions and issues.

You need to look into your win user documents account. There is a Paradox/HoI3 folder and within gfx\flags..
    Delete the files within and restart the game. You will have the flag changes now.
    Play WW-I up to the Cold War! Soon possible with the "AHOI-Mod"!
    One of the most played Mod for "Hearts of Iron 3".
    Infos around Hearts of Iron 3 and the AHOI-Mod:
    - blog -___-forum-___-facebook-___-twitter-
    Widescreen GUI Mod for Hearts of Iron 3(also for HPP/AS/RPM/BlackICE)