Thread: Settlement Battles Script Request

Icon1 Settlement Battles Script Request

<rant>
    (Skip over the rant if you're only interested in the script)

Wow... I finally found the straw that broke the camels back...
    I was expecting some major upgrades to fighting in cities in M2TW over RTW; such as greater control over units, more responsive orders, easier unit placement within the roads, and better pathfinding.
    I HATED fighting in cities in RTW because I hated having to be so technical with every little thing I did... I stopped fighting tactically, and just learned how to exploit the limits of the Ai, with archers outside walls, or luring the enemy around the city with one cav, while the other held the square. In M2TW, it's the same thing, but even worse.
    Has anyone else noticed that placing units in M2TW is even more sensitive than RTW? It seems that if you're 30 metres from a level obj, like a farm, or building, you're totally out of luck in terms of drag-placement... And forget giving a move order! Your units, IF they respond, will most likely run to a totally different area than the one you specified!
    My NEW tactic is to hire tonnes of mercs.... auto resolve, then disban them! Works everytime

</rant>

Anyways...
    Onto my request!
    It's a bit of a two parter, and it's up for discussion.
    Along with many other people, I think the Ai does not properly garrison settlements.
    Not like other people, I don't think that battles should take place in cities.
    That's where the two parter comes in.

I'd like to see a garrison script like any other, so that when the player attacks a Castle, the city is garrisoned with x amount of spearmen, and x amount of missile units. (Not cavalry)
    When the player attacks a City however, the battle should commence immediatly in the field (just as if the enemy sallied right away) and not make you have to wait a ba-gillion turns to lose tonnes of men anyways. Afterall, armies tried their damndest NOT to fight in a city because most of the time it would mean the destruction of the very thing they wanted to defend/occupy! Whether or not there's a garrison script included in cities as well, I don't really mind either way... I just hate city fighting, and that's that...

Anyways, what does everyone think? It makes castles harder to take, and more defendable, and makes cities less frustrating.
    Last edited by Mr._Chuckles; November 27, 2006 at 01:13 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.