Thread: Removed voices or bug?

Default Removed voices or bug?

I notice every faction has english voices in the campaign when selected. "At the ready!" in a posh british dialect. Is this a bug or something that's been intentionally done? Voices are normal in battle-map mode, that is, in their respective languages.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Removed voices or bug?

Both. Due to some "poor" design by CA, it's not possible to select the language used by a unit normally: they always speak the language of the controlling faction. So if France recruits Highlander in Scotland, they would speak French. It works only for the Portuguese units in the Peninsular campaign. But I couldn't find how CA configured that, I believe it is hardcoded.
    I found a solution to have every unit speaks its own language, whatever the controlling faction.
    But the side effect is the agents all speak English in the campaign (and so do the ships in battle). I have ideas to change that, but I need time to test it.

I see! Thanks for reply :-)

Totalize's Avatar Libertus

I must of done something wrong with my MOE install because playing France everyone speaks with a English accent. Is this fixable?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

English accent? Do you mean English language? See answer above. Units in battle should speak their own language. But in the campaign (and ships) all speak English.

I tried to correct it, but:
    - I could not found how CA managed to have Portuguese units speak Portuguese even when owned by the British faction in the peninsular campaign. There's nothing to allow that in the db, I suppose it is harcoded.
    - I could not fix it for ships, since the naval voice configuration ignore specific ships, and always use the last one (so if I say French ship speak French, British ship speak English, then they all speak English, since it's the last one I use. And if I invert and say British speak English, French speak French then they all speak French).
    - I could not fix it for agent in campaigns, since when I tried adding a general the game crashes...

I think of only one way to fix it, but it would make the voices pack at least 13 times bigger than they are.
    Last edited by Steph; March 17, 2016 at 03:09 AM.

Totalize's Avatar Libertus

Yes UK English. I am Canadian.

Okay. I just wanted to confirm this. Thanks very much.