Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUGS in VIKINGS-SUB-MOD, post them here and i would really appreciate advice on how to fix some of them!

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default BUGS in VIKINGS-SUB-MOD, post them here and i would really appreciate advice on how to fix some of them!

Do the following steps before playing the mod:

1. Install Medieval 2 Total War and Kingdoms Expansion.

2. Before playing any MOD, be sure to right click on the main folder (Medieval 2 Total War), then on properties, security, edit and on users (your computers name/pc-user). Then check the full control and modify options and click ok. This will spare your mod from problems using windows 7 or windows Vista. Be sure to also check the "read-only"-option when you click on properties.

3. Run the "unpack_all"-file inside of Medieval 2 Total War/Tools/Unpacker-folder.

If you have the GOLD-version of the game you will need to download some files to your unpacker-folder first. See the guide under step number 5 for information about all of this including the GOLD-version.

4. Remove the geography_nw.txt and geography_ne.db-files found in your Medieval 2 Total War/Data-folder.

5. Open up the medieval2.preference.cfg found in your main Medieval 2 Total War folder, using Notepad++ - and edit the first row with:

[io]file_first = true

Follow this guide:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...or-new-modders

When done with that the following needs to be done:

1. Download the strings_bin_converter found here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1006

2. Put all the files inside of the Medieval 2 Total War/Data/Text-folder.

3. Edit the strings_bin_converter.py file and open as a txt file with notepad or something, comment out the "print 'Converting file '+filepath+'('+str(i)+' of '+str(len(arr))+')'" line with a "#" so that it looks like this:#print 'Converting file '+filepath+'('+str(i)+' of '+str(len(arr))+')'

4. Download Python 2.5.4 and install it, found here:

https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/

5. Run the convert_all-file inside of the Medieval 2 Total War/Data/Text-folder.

After this you should have all the text files.

Now, let's see if there are any CTD-bugs that occurs regularly at the same time and place all the time, there will always be CTD:s (crashes to desktop) but they should not occure at the same time and place everytime.

These are the bugs i have found in my SUB-MOD and i assume they are the same as in the previous version?

1. Freyseyr-settlement is a "mountainous terrain" and neither the player nor the computer can move troops. They just stand where they start, and this makes realtime-battles impossible in this settlement -i had to automatically resolve it and lost.
    -This is a map-bug that i can't solve for now.

2. Missing portraits for some units, as these were not in the game. -Not fixed, as i seem to have trouble getting them to show-up in game. It wasn't a problem with the already existing portraits as you just moved them to a new folder. But with new pictures it doesn't seem to work. I must read on to this.

Other fixes being made:

Better unit attributes to make a bigger difference between strong units and weak units,

the adding of three officers for most units,

stats-changes for some over powered units,

More to come as i will need to add all units in the EDB, add the missing portraits, still need to give everyone but the Vikings officers, stats-changes for all the other factions (not the Vikings) need to be made, remove the silver surfer captains and generals (some of them are sf, not all), the map bug will be looked into and some small fixes in other text-files.

Then we will release the first finished version of Wrath of the Norsemen. I can't promise the map-bug will be fixed as i am no mapper.

I may have done more than mentioned above but this is it for now.

The CTD is fixed as i have re-made my mod by downloading the stable 1.5 version and adding the fixes and music to that one. This means no changes to the win-conditions or descr_strat has been made.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 30, 2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Fixes of various bugs and other stuff.

Default Re: BUGS in VIKINGS-SUB-MOD, post them here and i would really appreciate advice on how to fix some of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post

2. Kwenland mercenaries are silversurfers when hired by the Swebiuö.

Anyone knows what this usually means?
    Missing textures or a broken texture reference most likely. Almost all mercenaries have this bug currently.

4. Kwenlands bodyguard sometimes consist of very powerful dismounted knights -anyone know where i can read about how to fix this?
    Either make a new unit from scratch or look if there is a unused unit for the faction in the EDU.

I am going to try and see if i can learn to fix some of the bugs, hopefully the silver units and mashed up textures are just broken file references. I would really like to play this campaign, but it is riddled with bugs and unconsistent unit quality.

Default Re: BUGS in VIKINGS-SUB-MOD, post them here and i would really appreciate advice on how to fix some of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Walleyeking View Post
    Missing textures or a broken texture reference most likely. Almost all mercenaries have this bug currently.

Either make a new unit from scratch or look if there is a unused unit for the faction in the EDU.

I am going to try and see if i can learn to fix some of the bugs, hopefully the silver units and mashed up textures are just broken file references. I would really like to play this campaign, but it is riddled with bugs and unconsistent unit quality.
    Hello Walleyking,

Yes, i did realize that most of the mercs were silversurfers if they weren't recruited by their own faction. The sami aren't silversurfers for Kvenland as an example, but for everyone else.. This can't be too hard to solve i would guess though.

The bodyguard-unit is being changed in a patch cause it's not that hard to change the unit model used as the bodyguard from the over powered knights to the best units of the Sami. I may do that after my campaign is finished. If i do that now the campaign will stop working unfortunately.

My biggest concern is with the Gutland crash. Do you have any idea about how to activate the crash-log? Thanks in advance.

This is the crash-log after the Gutland-crash at turn 5 to 6. It would seem it has to do with the traits, -and possibly the Pope not being present.

What are the thoughts of experienced modders after watching this?:

08:53:26.835 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 1772, column 24 :
    we should only have trait(Commander) additional affects for triggers(Standard_Battle_1_Any_Loss_VnV_Trigger)
    08:53:26.835 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 1829, column 24 :
    we should only have trait(Commander) additional affects for triggers(Withdraw_Before_Battle_Bad_Odds_VnV_Trigger)
    08:53:26.835 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 1840, column 24 :
    we should only have trait(Commander) additional affects for triggers(Withdraw_Before_Battle_Even_Odds_VnV_Trigger)
    08:53:26.835 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 1850, column 24 :
    we should only have trait(Commander) additional affects for triggers(Withdraw_Before_Battle_Good_Odds_VnV_Trigger)
    08:53:26.835 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 1880, column 23 :
    we should only have trait(Attacker) additional affects for triggers(Standard_Battle_Attacker_Crushing_Loss_1_VnV_Trigger)
    08:53:26.836 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 1908, column 23 :
    we should only have trait(Defender) additional affects for triggers(Standard_Battle_Defender_Crushing_Loss_1_VnV_Trigger)
    08:53:26.836 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 1934, column 28 :
    we should only have trait(SiegeAttacker) additional affects for triggers(Battle_Siege_Attacker_Lost)
    08:53:26.836 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 1960, column 28 :
    we should only have trait(SiegeDefender) additional affects for triggers(Battle_Siege_Defender_Lost)
    08:53:26.836 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 1984, column 30 :
    we should only have trait(InfantryGeneral) additional affects for triggers(Battle_Crushing_Defeat_Infantry_Commander_VnV_Trigger)
    08:53:26.836 [game.script] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in mods/WotN/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 2006, column 29 :
    we should only have trait(CavalryGeneral) additional affects for triggers(Battle_Crushing_Defeat_Cavalry_Commander_VnV_Trigger)
    08:53:34.754 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.6 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    08:53:46.138 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Administrator10>
    : SettlementBuildingExists needs a settlement.

when testing <SettlementBuildingExists> condition
    08:53:46.162 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    : <target_faction> is unavailable from event <FactionTurnStart>
    when testing <TargetFactionType> condition
    08:53:46.401 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:47.027 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:47.175 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:47.362 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:47.751 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:48.796 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:49.170 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:49.261 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:50.323 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:51.468 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:51.480 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:53:53.656 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:54:16.967 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:54:17.448 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:54:18.287 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:54:18.319 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    08:54:18.468 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>

The Franks have the same bug as Gutland it would seem. I will controll the other factions later, but the Swebiuö didn't have it.

This descr_win_conditions.txt file seems to fix the turn six crash for both the Franks and Gutland.

The game may still crash however, and with the Franks you just reload your autosave and it should work fine. With Gutland it didn't work to just reload the game as it crashed again at the same time and place in the game!

The Pope do work in game and can call crusades when you play as the Franks. I think the crash has to do with the Pope as there seem to be a case of him calling a crusade against some invalid target when playing as Gutland..

Any suggestions or ideas?

This file should fix the turn six problem though.

The descr_win_conditions.txt file should be placed in WotN/Data/World/Maps/Campaign/Imperial_campaign.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fix.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 19, 2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention instructions for newbies.

The dismounted bodyguard of the Franks consisted of Holy Roman Empire Medieval knights, just like with Kvenland- i will replace them.

I think i have solved the crashes! =)

I managed to play with Gutland for over 25 turns after removing the commander traits from the export_descr_character_traits.txt-file.

Just replace your file with this in your WotN/Data folder:

I came across a new CTD-bug when playing as Gautland in the campaign. It was on turn 16 to 17, and i was really confused by the log saying i miss some files:

It would seem the old Pope-text showed up again. But what makes me a little surprised is the missing files the log says is missing..

I reinstalled the whole game on an older computer yesterday (it's stil windows 7) and had to remove the security-stuff from the Medieval 2 Total War folder. Before playing any MOD be sure to right click on the main folder (Medieval 2 Total War), then on properties, security, edit and on users (your computers name/pc-user). Then check the full control and modify options and click ok. This will spare your mod from problems using windows 7 or windows Vista.

Also, be sure to add the "[io]file_first = true" line at the top of your "medieval2.preference"-file.

Make a space between this and the next line.

This is what i had done before playing Gautland yesterday. Another option is to disable the "Virtual Store" to achieve the same results as those described above.

Now, why did it crash because of missing files? Well, i think some of the files in the data/text-folder haven't been converted or unpacked in my version on this other computer. I may test the same faction on my other computer to see if the bug is still there.. Anyway, you need to download Python v. 2.6 to be able to convert .bin-files. And not a higher version than 2.6, as it will not work according to the mod workshop.

Then you just convert all the text-files in the ordinary Medieval 2 Total War/Data/Text folder. I read that in mods the game creates this stuff on it's own. But it has to be unpacked and converted already in the original game/data/text-folder.

I am now going to try and convert the .bin-files to be able to get passed the bugs concerning files-not-found in the data/text-folder of Medieval 2 Total War.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 20, 2016 at 03:02 AM.

It's very weird but i seem to have somehow missed to uncheck the "read-only"-option for the main M2TW-folder. It's weird because i was sure i did this already.. Anyway, i am doing it now so let's see if the mod crashes for Gautland at turn 16-17 after this. If it doesn't i think this was only a bug i had. And maybe others with Vista or 7 who haven't unchecked the "read-only"-option or done the things mentioned in the post above.

Edit: It's not the read-only-option that is the problem now that i think about it. It should be checked i think. But somehow the game missed to convert all the text-files. Interesting indeed...
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 20, 2016 at 03:22 AM.

All the text files converted now in the main directory of M2TW. Now, let's test the game again shall we.

Do the following steps before playing the mod:

1. Install Medieval 2 Total War and Kingdoms Expansion.

2. Before playing any MOD, be sure to right click on the main folder (Medieval 2 Total War), then on properties, security, edit and on users (your computers name/pc-user). Then check the full control and modify options and click ok. This will spare your mod from problems using windows 7 or windows Vista. Be sure to also check the "read-only"-option when you click on properties.

3. Remove the geography_nw.txt and geography_ne.db-files found in your Medieval 2 Total War/Data-folder.

4. Open up the medieval2.preference.cfg found in your main Medieval 2 Total War folder, using Notepad++ - and edit the first row with:

[io]file_first = true

Follow this guide:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...or-new-modders

When done with that the following needs to be done:

1. Download the strings_bin_converter found here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1006

2. Put all the files inside of the Medieval 2 Total War/Data/Text-folder.

3. Edit the strings_bin_converter.py file and open as a txt file with notepad or something, comment out the "print 'Converting file '+filepath+'('+str(i)+' of '+str(len(arr))+')'" line with a "#" so that it looks like this:#print 'Converting file '+filepath+'('+str(i)+' of '+str(len(arr))+')'

4. Download Python 2.5.4 found here:

https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/

5. Run the convert_all-file inside of the Medieval 2 Total War/Data/Text-folder.

After this you should have all the text files.

Now, let's see if there are any CTD-bugs that occurs regularly at the same time and place all the time, there will always be CTD:s (crashes to desktop) but they should not occure at the same time and place everytime.

Edit: First post updated.

After spending the whole night reading and downloading different programs and validators, i managed to get my hands on the
    TWTECV: TW Text Editor, Cleaner & Validator v1.20

After using this program i have removed even more errors in the traits-file, and also a duplicate entry in the export_units.txt file regarding Thegns.

I changed the other one (three names out of six) into "Theign" and now i don't get an error in the program. It's time for me to test playing again and see if it works.

I didn't have a re-occuring CTD after the last fix, but it CTD:d too often, like every second turn after turn 24 playing as Gautland.. I hope to solve this as it should not happen for at least 15 turns in between.

My new file is the export_descr_character_traits-file again, and a changed export_units.txt-file.

I couldn't upload the later as it is too big. Just open the file in Notepad++ and search it for Thegns - and change three of the six names to Theigns:
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 21, 2016 at 01:56 AM. Reason: First post updated!

Download the old file at the top again as the new were buged.

NEW export_descr_characters_traits-file!

I managed to play for 45+ turns as Gautland, but the problem is it crashes after only two to three turns when restarting. It also seems it crashes regularly at turn 45-46 when ending the turn. And the log only mentions the Pope-text like this:

15:12:32.171 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.6 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    15:14:27.278 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:27.738 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:32.851 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:34.107 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:34.149 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:40.242 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:42.128 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:44.205 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:45.801 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:49.640 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:49.667 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:52.107 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:57.044 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:57.074 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:58.341 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:14:59.390 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>
    15:15:04.222 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <0110_Pope_Call_Crusade1>

It's weird actually..The mod crashed at turn 45-46 everytime! But then i sent my Gautlandi armies on the march towards all my neigbours in a suicide attack (i had like five armies and reserves which i had built up all those turns, as i had made peace with everyone) against the Swebiuö, Danmörk and Vestfold all at the same time. I thought the game would crash so why not?

Then it didn't crash.. Weird huh? However, i think it will crash next turn..

The Silver Surfer-Mercenaries have been fixed, and it would seem most of them were missing the "mercenary_unit"-attribute. I have added that attribute to all of them in the EDU.

Now i just need to move the portraits to the merc-folder.

The following factions have the "knights bodyguard"-bug: Moerrafylki, The Franks, Kvenland. I may have forgotten one faction as i have a bad short-time memory lol! It's only the bodyguards of the adopted family members -the Kings and heirs have the bodyguard they should have.

Then there are some units without description text or picture, -because a unit picture doesn't exist. I will have to printscreen those myself.

Anyway, the Silver Surfers are gone and every unit in the game are recruitable in some way. The missing descriptions and unit pictures will be added going forward. But i think i will try and fix the bodyguards of adopted family members for the factions mentioned above first.

CTD:s aren't completely gone and may occure regularly between turn 33 and 45 based on what faction you are playing as. Of course this is unacceptable but i will fix the other stuff first and then try to make the CTD:s even less common. It's hard to know wthat is causing them unfortunately.

2. Kwenland mercenaries are silversurfers when hired by the Swebiuö. Most mercs are silversurfers if not played by their homefaction. -This has been fixed, and there are no silver surfers in the game anymore, not counting some captains or generals.

3. Freyseyr-settlement is a "mountainous terrain" and neither the player nor the computer can move troops. They just stand where they start, and this makes realtime-battles impossible in this settlement -i had to automatically resolve it and lost.
    -This is a map-bug that i can't solve for now.

4. Kwenlands, Frankish and Moerrafylkis bodyguard sometimes consist of very powerful dismounted knights -Fixed as i have replaced this bodyguard unit with the unused Saxon Housecarl bodyguard-unit, these three factions shared bodyguard for family members and therefore have gotten the same bodyguard. This may well be changed later, but Moerrafyylki has had contact with the English as have the Franks - it's only Kvenland that is a little too far up north. Their bodyguard may be changed later when they no longer share bodyguard with the other two factions for their family members.

5. Rygjalandis bodyguard sometimes consisted of heavy mounted knights. -This have been fixed and their bodyguard now consists of better trained Riddarar who has been nerfed compared to their earlier Knights-form.

6. Missing descriptions for some units. -Fixed, as i have added the missing descriptions!

The only one still missing their unit-description would be the "Lantwer unit", -someone have an explanation on these? I would guess that they are landowners though.

7. Missing portraits for some units, as these were not in the game. -Not fixed, as i seem to have trouble getting them to show-up in game. It wasn't a problem with the already existing portraits as you just moved them to a new folder. But with new pictures it doesn't seem to work. I must read on to this.

Other fixes being made:

Better unit attributes to make a bigger difference between strong units and weak units,

the adding of three officers for most units,

stats-changes for some over powered units,

the ability for the Papal States to call crusades, and some i don't remember as of now.

More to come as i will need to add all units in the EDB, add the missing portraits, still need to give everyone but the Vikings officers, stats-changes for all the other factions (not the Vikings) need to be made, remove the silver surfer captains and generals (some of them are sf, not all), the map bug will be looked into, some small fixes in other text-files and then it's all about testing the different factions for CTD:s.

I will ask the community by then to help in testing all the different factions in the new beta-version. Then when the CTD is gone or almost gone we will release the first finished version of Wrath of the Norsemen. I can't promise the map-bug will be fixed as i am no mapper.

I may have done more than mentioned above but this is it for now.

Edit: See first post for updates mentioned here.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 30, 2016 at 02:27 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast