Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The X-Files revival (2016)

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default The X-Files revival (2016)

Having been a big fan of the original series I was definitely happy when I saw they were continuing it. The trailer raises several questions that I am hoping will be answered quickly in the show though.

Any other X-Files fans here?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: The X-Files revival (2016)

Critics say the first episode sucks, but given it's written by Chris Carter who was never much good anyway, I'm holding out hope for the MotWs.

Good Points
    1. Much of the cast is coming back.
    2. The new cast seems both in nerdish awe and excited.
    3. Annet Mahendru is gorgeous, talented, and well-spoken. She interviews well and has original things to say versus the normal "canned" response.

4. Gillian is a superb actress now, not an ingenue.

Bad Points
    1. David and Gillian were ready to move on, and while very professional, their hearts don't seem in it.
    2. CC wrote a pilot and it sucked and was trite. Pray for good writing.
    3. They probably can't recapture the old energy and must create a new mytharc without ruining the original.

All professional actors are moving BACK to television for security. That's not great but necessary.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 16, 2016 at 01:48 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

"We have a small problem, they've re-opened the X-files"

Sounds somewhat underwhelming and derivative
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

Am I the only one who loved the early seasons when they were just investigating weird paranormal stuff every episode, just random cases? I lost interest when everything was about government cover-ups and so on in later seasons.

I remember the chupacabra episode with fondness.
    --------------Arengada--------------

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Almogaver View Post
    Am I the only one who loved the early seasons when they were just investigating weird paranormal stuff every episode, just random cases? I lost interest when everything was about government cover-ups and so on in later seasons.

And the guy with no arms and legs crawling through air vents... But I did love the big conspiracy pieces too.

Gillian Anderson, mmm.

Everything was about government cover-ups in the early seasons. Hell, the second episode of the first season is about government cover-ups.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    Everything was about government cover-ups in the early seasons. Hell, the second episode of the first season is about government cover-ups.
    Well the conspiracy over the aliens was kinda the focus of the show so yeah.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

How about the episode with those killer bees in the forest? Or the episode with that alien being that could burn you upon contact? Awesome.

I'll suspend judgment about this new show; I have no illusions that it will be as good as the original, though.

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

I have my dvr set up to tape this, hope they don't waste the talented cast with a bad script or poor directing.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    And the guy with no arms and legs crawling through air vents... But I did love the big conspiracy pieces too.

Gillian Anderson, mmm.
    EDIT: I loved that episode!
    Last edited by Finn; January 23, 2016 at 10:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    How about the episode with those killer bees in the forest? Or the episode with that alien being that could burn you upon contact? Awesome.

I'll suspend judgment about this new show; I have no illusions that it will be as good as the original, though.
    The things in the forest was not the killer bees arc. I should know, because that episode (Darkness Falls) is one of my favorites. :p

X Files "Monsters of the Week who prey on the Weak"
    vs.

Xfiles Mytharc
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_of_The_X-Files

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

They pulled every single low hanging conspiracy fruit. There is a part where Mulder rants and mentions just about every single conspiracy theory ever. It's comically bad and could actually be dangerous given the general level of intelligence these days that has critical thinking skills at all time lows, since the dark ages. The West is on pace to rival the Middle East in terms of conspiracy belief. Not good.

I am legitimately frightened of the effect this show can have on the already stupid.

What has changed is the internet. In The X-Files’ Nineties heyday, when network TV was dominated by cops, doctors and lawyers, a weekly show that baldly stated we were being lied to by our elected officials was a lone voice, and a unique one. The series took the paranoid ravings previously only shared by a shadowy minority and shoved them under a national spotlight.

But today, the comments section of any website no matter how monstrous or obscure, is it’s own X-Files. Everyone’s got insane theories they need to share. Everyone believes the worst about what we eat, what we watch, what we read, and who we vote for.

Conspiracy theories have changed fundamentally as they've made their way from obscure bookstores to your extended family's Facebook posts. They've lost their mythological aspects and become more darkly existential, as well as drifted further and further toward the political right. It's no longer dreaming about hidden alien technology–it's about seeing the grieving families of shooting victims on TV and thinking they're hired actors.
    The phrases "crisis actor," "creeping sharia," and "white genocide" didn't exist when the X-Files first aired, and they don't really exist for the new series either. Thanks to social media and fake news sites, we're awash in conspiracy theories—from Obama's plans for a military invasion of the American Southwest to subliminal messages about interracial sex encoded in the new Star Warsmovie—that the show's creators have decided, reasonably, to ignore in favor of almost quaintly old-fashioned stuff like Roswell and gravitational warp drives. It seems like real life has finally gotten too weird for The X-Files.

Fortunately:
    Reputable sources claim the series grows a pulse and a sense of humour after the second episode. I want to believe — see what I did there?— that’s the case, but we’re in for a welter of similar TV revivals over the next few years. I don’t want to be in constant state of feeling old, disappointed and mistrustful of my own taste.Unless, it’s all a conspiracy designed to make me feel that way.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...o-believe.html
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Well since there really are crisis actors (paid folks to act for military drills for urban warfare designed like American cities), and since even moderate Muslims support Sharia Law in the West(Pew Research did a major study), then it's not a conspiracy but facts.

Crisis actors learning about their roles in a chemical attack.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...und-the-world/

Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 25, 2016 at 05:56 PM.

The first episode is overwrought and badly scripted/acted at times. There's little chemistry between Mulder and Scully, but I guess they haven't worked together as these characters for over a decade. Second episode is a vast improvement, but the editing is weird and abrupt. We go
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    from Mulder and Scully in the hospital to them standing behind red tape talking to Skinner, and little more is said of the mutants.
    . Anyway, it's not as good as I had hoped, but it's also not as bad. I'm just glad that this is a thing that is happening.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Well, Rubicon, all Muslims automatically support Sharia even if they deny it because Sharia=Quran=Islam.

Anyway, i hope we get more seasons for this gem.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Well, Rubicon, all Muslims automatically support Sharia even if they deny it because Sharia=Quran=Islam.

Anyway, i hope we get more seasons for this gem.
    Nah, of course not. Do a search of my posts. I've been a friend and ally of Muslims longer than most of you have been alive. Then a beloved mentor made this even more true since he lived among Muslims.

Back to X Files and X Philes. Well, I'm not surprised as CC's pilot was just awful.

Gillian Anderson has done extraordinary work in The Fall.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I should probably watch the original series before watching this right? It's just that 200 episodes is a bit...daunting
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Saw the first two episodes. I tried to convince myself the duckovny(wrong spelling i know...)was not hank from californication but it was impossible. I remember seeing the show when i was younger. You didnt know what was hiding behind that generic title "x-files". So every episode was interesting. Nowadays we all know that its all about aliens dont we?

^^ I'm doing a select rewatch of the first seven seasons. Mostly mytharc and episodes I remember fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Saw the first two episodes. I tried to convince myself the duckovny(wrong spelling i know...)was not hank from californication but it was impossible. I remember seeing the show when i was younger. You didnt know what was hiding behind that generic title "x-files". So every episode was interesting. Nowadays we all know that its all about aliens dont we?
    It isn't, though.

Anyway, third episode looks like a return to form from the clips I've seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast