Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Tulkas' FATW Let's Play!

Default Re: Tulkas' FATW Let's Play!

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Hmm, that's an interesting thought Tulkas... I'll have to come up with some ideas.

I've often wondered just how ridiculous a Shire campaign would be. Went so far as to make them playable - for about 5 minutes. Their VCs are to conquer every single province on the map (which is pretty funny to see on the campaign goals screen!), and they can't build or train anything, so it would be a matter of using FMs and mercs.

A fun campaign for the Dwarves involves colonizing the wealthy trade settlements - so anyplace with ivory, incense, etc. It gets you all over the map.

As for true migrations, maybe the most sensible one would be a faction like North Rhun - horde capable, with a pretty difficult position at the start anyway. North Rhun setting up in Arnor or someplace might be interesting. The biggest problem is that you wouldn't get your higher-tier native units outside your homelands...
    I was thinking about colonization option/mechanic, it will be very interesting. For example if Elves or Dwarves can change their settlements to mannish, so why mannish faction's couldn't create colony?
    Last edited by gasas; December 20, 2016 at 05:26 PM.

I might try a Shire campaign as a one-off video sometime, just to see how long I can endure. The North Rhun thing sounds interesting too.

I nominate Tulkas to start a challenge thread. Here are some ideas for challenges:

- Great Conservator: Complete campaign with all factions alive.
    - Great Peacemaker: Become allied with every faction; can include protectorates.
    - Great Moneymaker: Have more money than The Shire by turn 100.
    - Great Pacemaker: Complete VCs in 20 turns or less.
    - Great Conqueror: Control the entire map, either directly or through protectorates.
    - Great Negotiator: Achieve VCs without ever taking a settlement by force, only negotiation or bribery.
    - Great Collector: Collect at least one of every mercenary.
    - The Quality of Quantity: Compete campaign with all T1 units. Could be soft core and hard core versions, with soft core allowing you to use, but not retrain, any non-T1 units you start out with.
    - The Quantity of Quality: Compete campaign with all T3 units. Could be soft core and hard core versions, with soft core allowing you to use, but not retrain, any non-T3 units you start out with.
    - Assassin's Creed: Destroy a faction using only assassination.
    - Rule the Waves: Control every port on the map.

Ooh, that Great Negotiator one sounds interesting. Fight only in defense, or to soften up an enemy, and then send in the emissaries ... My first though is to try that as the Dwarves, but it might be too easy with them. Maybe Adunabar?
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Dorwinion might be good at it too.

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    I've often wondered just how ridiculous a Shire campaign would be. Went so far as to make them playable - for about 5 minutes. Their VCs are to conquer every single province on the map (which is pretty funny to see on the campaign goals screen!), and they can't build or train anything, so it would be a matter of using FMs and mercs.
    Would definitely be the hardest campaign. All of their units are crap in campaign battles and are hard countered by Royal Longbowmen. Learnt that while trying to defend the Shire from Adunabar...

A fun campaign for the Dwarves involves colonizing the wealthy trade settlements - so anyplace with ivory, incense, etc. It gets you all over the map.
    They get some of their best Hireling units in Khand and Harad (Dwarf cavalry OP, lol), so that's an incentive. Also, the Hireling recruitment buildings are pre-built since Harad uses them as caravan buildings...

Yes! I forgot that. It's definitely entertaining & rewarding to settle the far South as the Dwarves. Other factions struggle mightily to expand so far from their power centers, but Dwarves can thrive.

I'm also contemplating one more Dorwinion run, making extensive use of bribery this time, as a lead-up to the final guide...
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Hey Tulkas, not sure if this is the right thread for your Elven LP. I only noticed one small thing. Your Noldor Swords are down to 7 soldiers. Since they are only retrainable, you might want to give them a break soon. I'm sure they will be thankful and REJOICE!

It is indeed the correct thread! I thought about making a different thread for each series like Saul Tyre does, but I like having all my stuff in one place so yea. Honestly, I think that 7 Noldor Swords, coupled with my king's retinue and the fifteen Lindon Guards, should be able to defeat whatever terrible militia units Adunabar is able to throw at them, but I will try to get them back to Rivendell eventually. It helps now that Wambat has enlightened me as to how to grow my population there. Also, tomorrow's episode might be a bit delayed, but the ones after that should be on time.

It always amuses me when youtubers talk about maintaining a schedule. The whole appeal of the medium to me is that I can produce, or not produce, as I please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dáin II View Post
    Hey Tulkas, not sure if this is the right thread for your Elven LP. I only noticed one small thing. Your Noldor Swords are down to 7 soldiers. Since they are only retrainable, you might want to give them a break soon. I'm sure they will be thankful and REJOICE!
    Tulkas is playing with "normal" unit size in his Elven campaign rather than the recommended "large", meaning the Noldors would have started with just 11 men, so it is not all that depleted. It is funny that Jordan is also a non-conformist, using "very large" unit size. Seems we have an opening for a "large" unit size Elven campaign.

Well, small size does change something. Missed out on that. But yeah, even on large or very large 7 of those guys would still be quite a force. Awesome unit!

Ah right, I see. Yeah, I can't think of much that could kill seven Noldor Swords but couldn't kill eleven. I still don't think that normal size changes all that much at my skill level, at least with my no-disbanding rule. Meh, I like to keep a schedule, but I don't worry too much about it. I've purposely never outright stated my schedule for FATW videos, although it should be quite apparent after 13 months of the series, so that I could miss an episode here or there without letting people down too much. I think that my channel has been at least vaguely consistent over the years, which I'm a bit proud of. As I see more and more of my friends get burnt out on the YouTube grind, though, I'm starting to think that I should care about this stuff less. Oh well. I just hate to have someone be expecting an episode and then being all sadfaced because of my own derpiness.

Don't worry too much about other people's expectations. It's just a hobby. If you got other things to do, your viewers better find something else as well. You have plenty of videos out there already, so I'm sure nobody's life depends on your frequency of uploads.

My, the community here is so considerate! Meh, it's not something I stress over too much, but I do think that I'm more consistent than other YouTubers my size, and I'm rather proud of that. If it was just a series of unconnected, one-off videos like my Bingo series then I wouldn't really care, but since this is a sequential series then I think it's important to not let too much time pass between episodes, lest the viewers forget what was going on and drift away.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

I play for MY enjoyment and record as I play, I post on youtube as a hobby and hopefully entertain anyone who takes the time to watch, I respect any support given and appreciate any viewers who follow me. That choice ofc is theirs and I feel no obligation to churn out several videos of the campaign per week. I have 3 other LP's on the go and I try to post one of each per week and they all take time to convert, upload and process as you well know.. Aside from that I am also testing for the RTR Project team on the new RTR 8 v4.0 beta and I have 3 campaigns going at the same time to test the effects various changes make on the factions I have and that is as and when I'm requested. I do have real life to consider too ofc and as there are only 24 hours in any day and 7 days in any week there is only so much I can do. I don't have a big enough following nor am I monetized that it should make a difference to my outlook, how many you want to do is as always your choice, if it's not something you stress about don't worry about viewers forgetting or drifting away, if they want to follow you, then just like me they will do regardless.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; February 06, 2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Of course! Every YouTuber is different, and this is my preferred model. I suppose I prefer to focus on one LP instead of four, helps keep me from being overextended. Neat.

It's been a while since I updated this thread with one of my videos, so I guess I'll do that. We're still chugging along merrily, as one army sacks the holdings of Adunabar and the other tries to push back against the treacherous people of Tharbad- but shall they prevail? Oooooh spoooooky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sD6Hd34tE

I just realized that I forgot to post the final episode of my Elven Realm campaign here, so I suppose I'll do that now. Next up for me will be Harad, but I think I'll wait for 3.3 before starting that campaign, since the arrival of 3.3 seems somewhat imminent. Also in class today we watched Decisive Battles and I got to jam to my broski Jeff van Dyke but the Northmen didn't love me jamming and I was sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrKPxkcKniM

"Next up for me will be Harad, but I think I'll wait for 3.3 before starting that campaign, since the arrival of 3.3 seems somewhat imminent." Well, the arrival of 3.3 wasn't particularly imminent, but my word is my bond and so we have the Harad campaign in 3.3 so woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo #Murica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAqW3a8LB58

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567