Thread: Speaking of Crashes.....

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Speaking of Crashes.....

I've been mortified the past two weeks over the fact that I was so close to getting RSIII done...and then discovered that it has a massive instability problem that causes it to crash constantly! I have torn my hair out trying to figure out why it's doing that, and like our site here...went back to an earlier build that I 'thought' was OK, and found the same problem. I'm fairly certain this is being caused by an issue with the map, since it acts like a map problem in every aspect. I have ALL of the new changes to the terrain, vegetation and settlements installed in another personal mod I use for testing all of the 'new stuff', and it all works fine there. In fact, I've played well over a 200 or so turns in an ongoing campaign without a single crash. So I know that the bulk of what has been done is OK....it's just that for some reason, good old RS2 doesn't like the changes...or, I just plain broke something without realizing I did it. Not a long shot, considering the real life issues I've had the past few months. Sooo....

I'm going to start over, and build RSIII again from scratch. Not the disaster it may sound like, because I've already done it once....it's just more delay and I'm sorry for that. But I couldn't release this knowing that it has a penchant for vaporizing itself randomly.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Default Re: Speaking of Crashes.....

Damn that's a shame. You don't even need to explain, we'll be patient. And also we'll rejoice even more when you think it's ready. It seems we all angered the gods somehow, and we need to get their approval back.

Personally im still loving 2.6 the same as always.

Thanks again for the great effort and countless hours of making this mod!

Hey no sweat, we can wait.
    You can have all the time you need and again thank you for your outstanding work on this wonderful mod bud!

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

We all appreciate the selfless effort you did over several years, DVK.

Thank you!!!

No problem, thanks for keeping us updated ! Better that than a rushed releaase .
    Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

Poop! But one of those annoying things that does happen.

We'll still be here - regroup and enjoy the process; don't get stressed about our fun.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Well, the good news is, I think I have the patch fixed. At least so far, I have gotten rid of the crashes. Found a backup from September or something on a USB drive......man, I'm glad I'm backup crazy!
    Anyway, it does appear that this was caused by a corrupted map file (map_ground_types.tga).....all it takes is one pixel the wrong color and bye-bye RTW. So I restored the old RS2.6 file and that seems to have corrected the issue.
    Working now and getting all the stuff I did in the process, installing new geography\terrain and vegetation, and whatever errors or bugs I fixed before.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

I'm glad to hear that you fixed it btw: Is it okay for you if I use your custom cities in RTRVII Platinum as well?

Ye Olde Fahrt's Avatar Miles

Waiting patiently as always. My best wishes towards getting RSIII ready for the grand opening
    My garden may be smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum. - Roma Surrectum III

Take your time Fine sir.
    Loyal fans have infinite patience...
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator