Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Grand Principality of Serbia

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Grand Principality of Serbia

This looks amazing! Are you able to tell us when this new update is set to launch? We are waiting with great anticipation!

Dom1no's Avatar Libertus

Nice work Ltd, what other factions are u planning to revamp or upgrade?
    Last edited by Dom1no; February 20, 2017 at 07:06 AM.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by keksimir View Post
    This looks amazing! Are you able to tell us when this new update is set to launch? We are waiting with great anticipation!
    Thanks. Launch may be soon, hopefully before we hit March. Hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by dominogoc View Post
    Nice work Ltd, what other factions are u planning to revamp or upgrade?
    I am not planning on completely revamping any factions, tbh. The ones I started working on and have been taken over by other team members, are thus being taken care of.
    Unit additions are needed for several factions. Yes, Poland is among them
    I will do some little cosmetic changes to a few early era hungarians, and then try to add Croatia as a faction

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    I am not planning on completely revamping any factions, tbh. The ones I started working on and have been taken over by other team members, are thus being taken care of.
    I will do some little cosmetic changes to a few early era hungarians, and then try to add Croatia as a faction
    Awesome!

The Croatian cavalry unit looks very good. That commander!

"Regnum regno non praescribit leges!"

Please do not misunderstand me. I appreciate everything you guys are doing. It is better to do it right and slow then quick and not finished.

Looking forward to testing the faction though! This is looking to be a fantastic game and the detail you guys have put into Serbia is amazing.

Most of the mods that include Serbia are not that well done. This is looking like we are gonna finally get some representation.
    Thank you and God speed.

How terrible it must be to face us; the sons of the wolf and the bear! Even now fear works in the bowels of our foes! I do not fight with a cool head today, I admit it. My eyes see only a red mist. I do not want them to run from battle, I want their heads on our pikes by evening! We go now to our bloody business!

Dom1no's Avatar Libertus

Good to hear, but i still hope that you will add bannermens to polish units in the upcoming update

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

U should afd units with those specigic high and late era serbian plums and helmet decorations... see obilic

FreeMayk's Avatar Foederatus

Hi people.
    Anything new in Serbian Principality so far?

I am also curious. Will there be a revamp for Serbia like there was for Bulgaria recently?

How terrible it must be to face us; the sons of the wolf and the bear! Even now fear works in the bowels of our foes! I do not fight with a cool head today, I admit it. My eyes see only a red mist. I do not want them to run from battle, I want their heads on our pikes by evening! We go now to our bloody business!

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

The Serbian and Tectonic rosters are one of the first ones made that have not yet been reworked and I do not think they will be left so
    [IMG][/IMG]

Much appreciated, waiting with great anticipation!

Since the Serbian roster is yet to be revamped/updated/whatever. I thought it might be a good idea to give you guys some inspiration. There is a new TV show that is following the Nemanjic dynasty here in Serbia. Its quality as a show is....debatable. However, there is a lot of costumes involved and might give you guys some ideas for how the units should look like. Banners, the way the first King looks like, units... You can check out the show for free on the following link: https://andrija-i-andjelka.com/neman...je-kraljevine/ (all episodes are listed there and just click on "Pogledaj" to watch the episodes, dont mind the retarded banners and ads that pop up, just close them out)

There are no subtitles so i would recommend just taking a gander on the costumes and not watching the whole episode. Just an idea...

Serbian mounted archers , mid 14 .cent .Based on frescoes from monastery Dečani, endowment of Serbian king Stefan, later better known as Dečanski .From the book "Mounted archers"

Serbian horse/archers , end of 14/th century. From the book Mounted archers. Upper row represents border nobility (krajišnik) and his followers.

Blak's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by keksimir View Post
    Serbian mounted archers , mid 14 .cent .Based on frescoes from monastery Dečani, endowment of Serbian king Stefan, later better known as Dečanski .From the book "Mounted archers"

That is just art man , no realistic backing, maybe include discovered relics or sth..
    others be like:
    I be like:

The problem with providing relics or something similar is that most of such artifacts and historic texts were destroyed by the Ottomans when they occupied the country. This is just something to use as a reference. The art is not "made up". Its based on actual frescoes from monasteries. (Monasteries and the church did the most to preserve Serbian identity and its history when the Turks took over). I will try to find something you can use. Unfortunately our national museum has been closed off for quite some time due to political reasons but i will see if i can find something.

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

Quote Originally Posted by Blak View Post
    That is just art man , no realistic backing, maybe include discovered relics or sth..
    I'm not sure what you expect to find...
    There isn't a single surviving 14th century armor to find in whole Balkans.
    So without "art" (frescoes, statues, seals, ilumintions) there is not much.

Trouble is frescoes can be highly stylized - so reconstructions based on contemporary sources like ones keksimir posted are a good (secondary) source.

But if you are interested in original frescoes (14th century):
    http://www.srpskoblago.org/Archives/...X4K2915_l.html
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/64...6220b03e3c.jpg
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/456904324679296409/
    http://www.srpskoblago.org/Archives/...X4K1903_l.html
    http://www.narodnimuzej.rs/event/osv...-veka/?lng=cir
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/810225789186741671/
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ac/89...d2e57bb959.jpg
    http://www.srpskoblago.org/Archives/.../IMG_7692.html
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/511721576395655696/
    http://www.srpskoblago.org/Archives/.../CX4K1839.html

PS
    I wasn't impressed with props and costumes on "Nemanjići" TV show.
    Last edited by Matthæus; May 13, 2018 at 04:14 AM.

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

One more thing to add to Serbian roster are "Cuman mercenaries" as horse archers.
    We are talking about 2,000 strong force in 13th, early 14th century.

document is in Serbian, but has English summary at the end:
    http://istorijskiarhiv.rs/sites/defa...043%202009.pdf

Summary
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Cumans, nomadic Turkic people originally from Pontic-Caspian steppe, were above all important military factor in Southeastern Europe during the Middle Ages.First contacts between Cumans and Serbs took place at the end of the 11th – beginning of the 12th century. Cuman presence in Serbian lands is attested from mid 13th century, when, according to a western contemporary source, group of nomads fled from Hungary and found refuge in Bulgaria, Greece and Serbia during the Mongol invasion (1241-1242). As mercenaries, Cumans participated in the struggle between king Stephen Uroš I and his son Stephen Dragutin in the years of c.1271-1276. Dragutin as younger brother and successor king Stephen Uroš II Milutin (1282-1321) also employed Cuman horsemen, totaling 2.000 in number, thus being the largest foreign military contingent in Medieval Serbia. They apparently also represented royal bodyguard.
    In 1312 they were ceded to Byzantine emperor Andronicus II. Eight years later, Milutin vainly insisted on their return; eventually in 1327 Cumans were settled on Aegean islands.

In Serbian sources written in the first half of the 14th century (Lives of Serbian kings, by archbishop Daniel II and his continuator) Cumans were always mentioned under their proper name;
    distinguished from other eastern peoples – Tatars, Alans and Turks, as well. In later texts (so-called Old Serbian Chronicles, dated from late 14th century) this trait fades, due to the temporal distance from the events they describe and also due to the penetration of byzantine manner of archaizing contemporary ethnonyms in Serbian medieval literature. Therefore, it is not surprising that in those documents one can find term Scythians instead of Cumans.
    Another result of this process was that Cuman acquired new meaning „heathen”, as in the text commonly known as Bulgarian Apocryphal Chronicle.
    In the royal charters of Nemanjić dynasty dated from 13th-14th century, there are many personal names and place-names of Cuman origin.

Their frequency and diffusion indicates that the influence of those resilient, warlike and omnipresent nomads, although indirectly, had been far greater in Medieval Serbia than one can discern from scarce information regarding their military service.

I was going to make a longer post in regards to the Cumans and the horse archers that they provided in the region. Also was going to stop by the military museum, see if a curator or someone can help me out, maybe make some photos but Matthaeus pretty much provided all the information. I will still try to take some pics (if i am allowed or if the museum has some good pieces to begin with). The links provided offer a good source for inspiration.

P.S. The entire show is a let down overall. However, it is a turning point in our country when it comes to our history. Such a show was impossible to make a few years ago. At least the government made the effort to begin with.
    The script screwed everything up. There were a few scenes that were really good but not that many.
    ... you cant expect a Yugoslav to make a good show about the most important Serbian dynasty of all time. He was thought differently his whole life.

Matthæus that's is not true, I don't know about Serbia, but in Bulgaria there have been found 14th century armors like bassinets and coat of plates. I have posted pictures of them in the Bulgarian thread.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast