Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Empire of Nicaea

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Empire of Nicaea

Here are some better examples of Byzantine soldiers:

Bunch of 14th century images in this link.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...sses_Chronicle

Late 12th century
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Late 13th century

Early 14th century

14th century

another 14th century

and another 14th century

Didn't Varangian Guards stopped being foreigners after the 12th century and then completely undocumented by the 14th? Besides all of that, I have no idea where these illustrators get their sources on the image of the 1230 Varangian Guard above my post?

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

@ Alexios : Well, I wouldn`t call them plain , to be honest. As they will be available from the very start of the mod, they are in fact one of the most heavily armored units you can get from the get - go. They have long mail or mail and lamellar, coif for the necks, nasal helmets or more byzantine styled ones, arm and leg protection, so the most armor you can have for the beginning of the 13th century, apart from knights They also don` t have to look the most badass of the badass, they have to be functional. I`m also not sure whether I have shown the very latest of how they look, so the pictures you have seen might not correspond to how they actually look now.

@ Kjertesvein : I actually loved both versions of those varangians, and always recruited the native ones as they were more available (and a lot more useful with their shields, in terms of stats) but the mercenary version of them .... oh yeah, they really had that aura surrounding them, their fame preceded them and I considered them as the real deal.
    I haven` t yet decided whether to make a second, native, varangian unit.
    Perhaps it would be best to have in the same unit variations of more nordic looking stuff and more byzantine one as well. We`ll see

Styl2000's Avatar Libertus

I thing that you should keep both units even though I don't really know that much about Pelekyphoroi but it would be really interesting to have a defensive Varangian-like unit and then have Varangians as shock inf. to destroy the enemy.

AlexiosThe1st's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    Here are some better examples of Byzantine soldiers:

Bunch of 14th century images in this link.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...sses_Chronicle

Late 12th century

Late 13th century

Early 14th century

14th century

another 14th century

and another 14th century

Didn't Varangian Guards stopped being foreigners after the 12th century and then completely undocumented by the 14th? Besides all of that, I have no idea where these illustrators get their sources on the image of the 1230 Varangian Guard above my post?
    I do believe that most of these images are military saints, correct? If that is the case, how truthful are the representations and how much of what they're wearing is romanticized? Of course hard to know, and seeing as there are few other sources to go off it may be the best we have. But still something to consider.

Ltd. It is very true they possess an appeal in their functional attire. I do not question the effectiveness of what they wear, only I personally find Byzantine flair to be more appealing
    The only picture of the Varangian unit that I've seen has been in this faction preview, so I've been going off of that.

Both of your proposals sound great (new unit/old unit with Nordic and Byzantine). In light of the fact, as Slytacular notes, that the Varangians are hardly mentioned later on, it may be best to have the two? Just to get all we can out of the Varangians before they disappear
    I'm inclined to go with the new unit to add a wee bit more variety to the roster but that's just me

well after the first fall of the City they hadn't been in use but inside the City there were people who referred to them selves as Varaghians and if I recall correctly some of them defended effectively the City from the ottomans.

also if possible I'd like them not to be too OP but to be strong even in later era. That could be achieved by a tec. that makes them like from early era to late era. I really don't want to lose them nether I wand them to be ineffective later on.

P.S. when I say City I mean Constantinople.

hire is a link about Byzantine units, but it's not only about that era and it is in Greeks
    http://eclass31.weebly.com/betaupsil...l#.VrTPIuFumZ8
    if you wand me to translate anything then gust tell me

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I'd suggest a "rus mercenary unit" represented all those Kievan Rus/Scandinavians who in fact did not make it into the Guard, since the guard was an elite unit made up of the best foreigners with the Hird/Huscarl/Druzhina mentality of personal allegiance to the emperor.

There is a story repeated on several internet sites about a Scandinavian who was thought unfit to serve in the guard, but convinced the Emperor by slaying a bull with his axe.

The Varangian Guard was an élite group, and membership was not automatic. When Thormoth Indrithason wanted to join the Guard, the Emperor thought he was too small and said he would not be able to do a man’s job. He was convinced otherwise by seeing Thormoth slaughter an enormous bull, hewing its head off with a single stroke.
    I have been completely unable to find a source for this though. However more importantly, the guard was not just a combat unit, they were stationed at the imperial palace when the emperor was at Constantinople, they were stationed at the center of the camp when the emperor was on campaign (Byzantines employed a three segment camp, the center was generally reserved for officers, elite units and guard units, the rest of the mercenaries generally found themselves on the third level*source: Byzantium at war*) and the participated on a long list of different ceremonial duties, including parades and court ceremonies. They were one of the three "guard" units but it is easily the most lasting of the three, the other two was mostly made up of sons of officers, nobility and the like (Archontopouloi) and one which seemed to do something akin to police/crowd control work armed with sticks.

Point of this is, that given the very ceremonial and visible nature of their duties, and given the riches the guard came across during their service, as evidenced by the Scandinavians returning as rich men including Hardrada who pretty much bought himself a kingship in Norway from his Byzantine wealth. It seems logical they they would be equipped with state of the art shiny armor. Byzantines loved to dazzle foreigners with their wealth, and the Guards, as part of the court ceremonies, must have reflected that.

(I wrote my Bachelor on the Guard back in the day, I got sources for these claims, but I dont have access to the writings right now)

So I'd say, if the mod creators deems it necessary, to have a split guard between "Rus Mercenaries" with their own native style, possibly an mid tier early Axe 'n Shield unit since the Niceans dont have that. And the actual Guard with the top of the line Byzantine armor of 1212. Current version looks pretty well-armored to me though.
    Last edited by Påsan; February 05, 2016 at 11:31 AM.

Sounds like a great proposal to me

Either that or the Pelekyphoroi

Though I'm slightly more in favor of the mid tier Rus mercs (ax and shield) in place of the Pelekyphoroi since they're already got another tier 3 sword and shield unit on the roster. And then that way we're a nice Nordic/Rus flavor to a unit and then the Varangians in the finest armor the Empire has to offer.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Done

well I thing that by forming the empire you should have access to some units you didn't have before but before the first fall of the City, Byzantium had. That way it will look more like the Empire, and it will give you more reasons to form the empire.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Updated the first post with the reworked Varangian Guard and added the Rus Mercenaries. The varangians are now really the best infantry the empire of Nicaea can field in the early era.

Awesome job! Although, I think the round shields are too Viking Era Norse to really belong in a was kite shield moved to heater shield world. The exception would be that the Eastern Christian nations like the Georgians and other Arabic nations would influence the Byzantines with their style of round shield. Either way, those round shields are way outdated and should be immediately replaced.

Awesome work!! Both units look awesome! Can't wait to test the Nicaeans out!

Also can't wait to see the rest of the roster. Will there be an update to look forward to in the near future?

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Awesome! Nice variation btw.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Some might find it a nitpick, but I would prefer if my emperor would carry a helmet into battle, and preferably one that covers as much of his head/neck as possible.

If I am not mistaken other faction leaders in this mod carry a helmet and the Middle Eastern ones have only their eyes exposed, I might be wrong though.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Awesome! The speed and detail of this mod crew respond to suggestion is really astunding. Great work.

This is more along the lines of a general question, but for multiplayer and custom battles what sort of mercenaries will be available to each faction? Will it be like Stainless Steel for Med II where each faction can access any merc unit of will it be regional/historical? E.g. as Nicaea would I be able to recruit Scots or will I be limited to a regional selection?

Thanks!

I absolutely loved the unit model for the Spatharioi Guard from the Rome 2 version of this mod; is there any chance that model can make it into this mod? Either as Spathario variation or perhaps as a Varangian model (replacing the cape with the shield)?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast