Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the strangest film you've seen with a well-known actor or two...or more?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default What's the strangest film you've seen with a well-known actor or two...or more?

Since the disastrous rollback of the forums to 25 Dec 2015 occurred recently, this thread has been completely lost. Or has it? I'm using Google cache to restore some of it, at least, since there was some really good stuff here and I don't want all of it to be lost. Here are the posts I managed to salvage from the wreckage of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix
    First off, let's set the criteria for what a "well-known" actor is before you guys profer some worthy suggestions here. I'd like to weed out all the obvious low-budget horror movies with a bunch of no-name actors. After all, this thread is about well-known ones! And by that I mean an actor who has played either the lead role in at least one major international blockbuster, Hollywood or otherwise, or at least been in three separate films as a major supporting actor. With that out of the way, may I offer what I deem to hold the crown of the strangest movie with a well known actor:

The Dark Backwards (1991), starring Judd Nelson, Bill Paxton, James Caan, and Rob Lowe, and directed by Adam Rifkin (Mousehunt, Small Soldiers, Detroit Rock City,), is a movie about a garbageman and crappy part-time comedian who becomes a famous stand-up comic and freakshow after growing a third arm out of his back. Lol. I'll just let the trailer do the rest of the explaining for me. I've seen this movie a few times and it never gets old.

So, which movie with a well-known actor do you think is the weirdest? Do you think you can find something more bizarre than this?
    Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo
    Tree of Life, I guess (Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, Sean Penn).

Since you mention James Caan, I imagine Dogville could be a valid candidate too (also starring Nicole Kidman, Paul Bettany and Lauren Bacall).
    Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision
    Practically every Cronenberg film. Here's Naked Lunch.

On the other hand, eXistenZ is still the most visionary cyberpunk film bar none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin
    Dune - 1984
    Possession 1981
    Sam Neil and Isabel Adjani can't save this wretched unfathomable disturbing art film. Both made some fine films but this is unwatchable.
    Even the trailer for Dune gets me excited. However, I'm leaning towards eXistenZ. That's just ing weird by any man's standard. A movie like Tom Green's Freddy Got Fingered, although arguably weird, seems cartoonish and childish in comparison.
    In 2000, they tried again by filming Dune as a miniseries.

There are many ill-fated films, purely terrible films made to pay the bills, art films lacking producer control, and pure madness films where the director went off the rails during shooting.

One of the finest odd films was The Lathe of Heaven. In it, the protagonist has a godlike power to alter reality. If you can change the world on a whim...should you?

The weirdest film is about a stranded man in the desert who falls in love with a leopard.

At the height of Julie Christie's fame and beauty, she chose to be in a bizarre early AI film called Demon Seed. In it, she is stalked by the AI who rapes her, in order to be born as an organic lifeform.

One of those out-of-control productions is the infamous Coppola film Twixt, that comes across like a creepy supernatural Pretty Baby, with an entirely too young Elle Fanning, Val Kilmer and his ex-wife playing a couple whose fame is running out, and a bizarre but believable ghost of Edgar Allan Poe!

Only watchable to note that even a genius and great actors can go completely insane by a terrible script.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan394
    Zardoz by John Boorman with Sean Connery as lead - You really can't any more weird than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin
    That one actually had the ability to follow the book for having the screen time. If they could've kept the actors and costumes(except William Hurt, keep William Hurt) from the 1984 I'd be a giddy little school girl. Because all things being equal, the 1984 movie was a bunch of very well done scenes from the book with a crapload of "OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!" strung out in between. The actors probably even weren't the most well known at the time, but they either became well known(Patrick Stewart), and Sting(though not for his acting career obviously) or culturally well known Kyle MacLachlan and Brad Dourif.

Edit: Also, Dean Stockwell and Max Von Sydow
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMuerte
    The City of Lost Children is pretty weird, and it has Ron Perlman...

then there's this descent into madness of course...
    Holy crap, I've never seen that City of Lost Children. I'll have to check that out now.
    You can't watch art, foreign, or independent films without a high tolerance for the truly bizarre. Not that they're bad fims, but willing to explore where few dare to venture.

Blue Velvet was genuinely sordid when it came out. Dennis Hopper let himself go with wild abandon.

The Atticus Institute actually has its moments of genuine horror: the military attempts to control a demon possessed woman.
    Blue Velvet is simply a classic and roughly ahead of its time. It's hilarious to go back and watch Siskel & Ebert's contemporary review of the film. A movie like that, if released today, would be highly praised.
    If you like City of Lost Children, you'll love Micmacs and Delicatessen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    I've seen most of these films, and I think this may be it: big name actor and WTF script.

Alternately, if we don't mind art-film actors instead of big names then this man is out of his tiny ******* Eraserhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU7O...yer_detailpage
    However despite the nonsense of Excalibur, it's really entertaining. Boorman did another strange film about a lost child in the rainforest, The Emerald Forest.

As bizarre as Lynch's films are, The Elephant Man is true cinema.

It's a very fine film to discuss with teenagers as each feels bullied and ostracized during those years. It's a great place to begin film studies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee
    How about Valhalla Rising with Mads Mikkelsen ?

Does he count as a well-known actor ?
    Mads Mikkelson is one of the finest actors in the world today. He's also done exemplary work in Flame and Citron, I am Dina, A Royal Affair, and on and on. After the Wedding is a truly heart-warming film when you feel completely depressed about the cruelty in the world. The Hunt is a very brave film about a teacher's worst nightmare.

He's taken risks with The Door, which is a great film. Certainly Men & Chicken is beyond weird.
    Cyclops responding to RubiconDecision about Excalibur:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    Oh I agree, although its not really that weird of a film. I loved it as kid, snuck in when I was too young to be allowed.

I was given the video when I was in my 20's, and I was studying some English lit, and I thought to myself watching the film again "Is there something stylistic going on here?". I went back and read up my Arthurian cycle source material and criticism and I was struck by how the film moves through "modes" reflecting somewhat the evolution of the mythos.

There's the bleak dark ages beginning recalling the lust and magic of the Mabinogion, there's the rise of Arthur which draws on the romance cycles for episodes like Lancelot (recruitment and betrayal) the grail Quest, the fall of Merlin and the fall of Arthur: in one sense the Grail quest forms a discrete unit basically excluding Arthur. Then there's the finale which references pre-Raphaelite imagery and the 19th century revival. Behind the second third and fourth phase lies Monmouth's narrative but I don't see that dry pseudo history too prominently referenced except perhaps in the night victory scene "it is the doom of men that they forget" so maybe it's there too.

Its not a scene for scene correspondence to the evolving modes of Arthurian literature (such a film would be an incoherent 20 hour mess) but there is a clear four phase structure (birth, rise, quest, final battle) and each phase adopts a distinct vision: no chivalry-lust-rape/basic chivalry-love-marriage/high chivalry-romance-infidelity/mystic post chivalry-forgiveness-celibacy and there are other clear visual progressions like smoky bloody forests/green spooky forests/decaying grey forests/reflowering forests "semper crescis..."

I think there is a critical overview of the Arthurian story built into the narrative of Excalibur. I don't think its a secret tucked I there for the Illuminati to chuckle about, rather a structure for the writer and director to carry the story forward as it really does progress from Uther's massive ram banging on Yseult's door (unsubtle sexual metaphor) to impaled Arthur's lie detecting skills (subtle Christological reference).

I do really love that film. It was Gabriel Byrne's major film debut as Uther (he said he got a standing ovation at the Dublin premiere for the armoured sex scene) and Liam Neeson's too as drunk Gawain (I think he had earlier film parts but they were indie and negligible). Sadly there was no version of Gawain and the Green knight here, he's a bit of a tool. He was Helen Mirren's bf IRL at the time, a bit weird they were lovers in the film too (then again her character had sex with most of the cast).

It ahs some massive moments. The rebellious barons deny Arthur's right to rule and ask Leodegrance (played by Patrick Stewart) "Are you with us? Or against us?" and he scowls and shouts "AGAINST YOU!"
    Sorry guys, I only posted my Youtube video. Feel free to post all the Youtube videos that you shared before. That City of Lost Children one was good enough to post again:

I feel bad for you, RubiconDecision, you were the one who contributed to this thread the most! At the very least I'll repost a Blue Velvet trailer, even if it wasn't the original video you posted:

Default Re: What's the strangest film you've seen with a well-known actor or two...or more?

Howard the Duck was foolishly translated to film. While praiseworthy, even philosophical as a comic book, it bombed at the box office.
    Howard's adventures are generally social satires, while a few are parodies of genre fiction with a metafictional awareness of the medium. The book is existentialist, and its main joke, according to Gerber, is that there is no joke: "that life's most serious moments and most incredibly dumb moments are often distinguishable only by a momentary point of view."[1] This is diametrically opposed to screenwriter Gloria Katz, who, in adapting the comic to the screen, declared "It's a film about a duck from outer space... It's not supposed to be an existential experience".[2] He was portrayed by Ed Gale and voiced by Chip Zien in the 1986 film Howard the Duck.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_the_Duck

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Poor Tim Robbins. Can you believe that was a Lucasfilm production?
    Pee Wee Herman whose children's television show was full of double entendre adult humor, was made into two films.

The strangest man-child ever was then arrested for indecent exposure, but applauded at the Oscars.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 15, 2016 at 05:56 PM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: What's the strangest film you've seen with a well-known actor or two...or more?

Cyclops has that Dark Knight mafia-guy as a roman emperor

And so does Sharktopus:

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

In the long history of film, dating back prior to even nickelodeons, you have all of the issues of depicting minorities and ethnicities since much of it was filtered through white Europeans juxtaposed against the initial commercialization by Jews, the preCode films that lacked censorship, odd ideas about women and alternative sexuality, etc. Some early films actually contain BDSM themes for example. Many frames contained racist, even hyperviolent ideas now sanitized in the original King Kong.

Artists like Salvador Dali utilized film but this is largely forgotten.

Pre1980 and the video industry, many films remained largely unseen save for film archivists. There once was a tiny but hardcore group of film aficionados who purchased peculiar films on 16mm.

Some early films that were "normal" then might seem avant-garde today.

Rain, now public domain, might be considered strange today.

It's preCode since made in 1932.

1922 Nosferatu remains strange; even the history of the film is odd.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 15, 2016 at 05:58 PM.

Lol. Sharktopus. Kyriakos, how the do you find these movies? That's why I love coming to TWC; to be reminded of the dreaded Cyclops that took down the Roman Empire. And thanks as well to you, RubiconDecision, for making yet another quality post, two of them in fact. I totally forgot about Howard the Duck. This thread isn't dead yet!

And once again I'll just have to say it for the record: Mads Mikkelsen is a great actor.

Words have many layers of meaning, and strange is often misused and made synonymous with poor, when it's better to use it to describe bizarre or weird in the true sense of the word i.e. otherworldly.

Chloe is about sexual obsession that cruelly infects another romantically and thus dooms another. I highly recommend it.

It has a haunting score featuring Raised by Swans.

That song is absolute poetry.

While billed as a lesbian erotic thriller, it's really about how someone can be so focused on another and fall in love and be seduced by another, even abused by another, and beyond simplistic labeling. For someone deeply spiritual, it's eye opening without being titillating.

Sometimes we fall in love with a person, not a gender. It's why there's a great deal of sexual experimentation in young people, especially young women due to adoration.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 15, 2016 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Lol. Sharktopus. Kyriakos, how the do you find these movies? That's why I love coming to TWC; to be reminded of the dreaded Cyclops that took down the Roman Empire. And thanks as well to you, RubiconDecision, for making yet another quality post, two of them in fact. I totally forgot about Howard the Duck. This thread isn't dead yet!

And once again I'll just have to say it for the record: Mads Mikkelsen is a great actor.
    You don't find the Sharktopus; it finds you
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Gerry 2003
    The characters drive to a remote location to hike at a site marked "Wilderness Trail". As they start, they see some other hikers passing by. After some walking, talking, and an impromptu foot race, they decide to head back. Before long, they realize that they are lost. That night, they build a campfire.
    Over the next couple of days, the two hikers wander through the wilderness without food or water. They try splitting up for a while, they try to retrace their steps, they try to follow some animal tracks, all to no avail. They grow increasingly irritated with each other as the situation becomes dire.
    They eventually find themselves slowly walking, mostly in silence, through a desert. They finally collapse due to fatigue and dehydration. The weaker of the two (Affleck) proclaims that he is "leaving", and reaches towards Damon's character. Damon's character rolls on top of Affleck and wordlessly strangles him before collapsing again.
    After some time, Damon's character awakens and discovers that a highway is not far away. In the final sequence, he is badly sunburned but watches the passing landscape from the car of the father and son who have seemingly rescued him.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_%282002_film%29

Scenic Route is cut from the same cloth with a far more bizarre narrative.

Mirrormask

Neverwhere

This 1996 miniseries should be remade with an adequate budget. It is a BRILLIANT story. Pretty Laura Fraser(Breaking Bad) stars in it. Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar are the most terrifying hitmen ever.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 15, 2016 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    1922 Nosferatu remains strange; even the history of the film is odd.
    Same applies to Werner Herzog's 1979 remake, starring Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani. Klaus Kinski, which played either weird or crazy characters for most of his career, delivers a solid performance. Of all her movies, this is most probably Isabelle Adjani's eeriest role, especially in the scenes where she appears together with Kinski.

Originally Posted by Cyclops
    It was Gabriel Byrne's major film debut as Uther
    Speaking of Gabriel Byrne, in 1986 he starred as Lord Byron in Ken Russell's Gothic, who invites his friends (among them being Percy Shelley and Mary Shelley) for a stay over at his villa in Switzerland. The fictional events in this movie are presented as the source of inspiration for gothic characters such as Frankenstein or the Vampire, born from their authors' drug-induced journey into madness. Also starring Julian Sands, Natasha Richardson and Timothy Spall.

Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice, the extremely annoying ghost who is haunting a house together with its former owners (Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis).

Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; January 14, 2016 at 05:46 AM.

There are three films which depict vampires correctly.
    1. Klaus Kinski and Nosferatu
    2. William Dafoe and Shadow of the Vampire
    3. Danny Huston and 30 Days of Night

In these films, the vampire is powerful, beyond evil, true psychopaths, and literally Anti-Life. That's what makes them otherworldly, fearsome, and threatening.

Hollywood ruined them with the transformation into some pretty boy sexual cad.

The only film of that sort that sort of makes sense is The Hunger and mostly due to Catherine Deneuve (Miriam).
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 15, 2016 at 06:03 PM.

Vampire's Kiss is a strange movie starring Nicolas Cage. Here is the synopsis from IMDB (note: contains spoilers):

Peter Loew [Nicholas Cage] is a successful business executive but he's having difficulty with his personal relationships and so he consults with a psychologist, Dr Glaser [Elizabeth Ashley]. Then Loew meets Rachel [Jennifer Beals], a vampire. As Loew becomes more and more dependent on Rachel's 'kisses', it appears that he is turning into a vampire, too. The sun hurts his eyes, he eats a bug, he sleeps under his overturned couch, and the sight of a cross makes him cringe. He harrasses his secretary Alva [Maria Conchita Alonso] mercilessly, and when he rapes her and she shoots him with her gun (with blanks), Loew is certain that he is now a vampire. He buys plastic teeth, eats a pigeon, and goes to a disco where he murders a girl and drinks her blood. But when he sees Rachel, she spurns him.

Now the story splits into two parts--Lowe's reality and his fantasy. In his fantasy, Loew visits Dr Glaser who absolves him of rape and murder. In reality, Loew is standing on a street corner, blood on his shirt, talking to a cornerstone. In his fantasy, Loew goes home with his new girlfriend, has a fight with her and crawls under his couch-coffin. In reality, Alva's brother comes looking for him. In fantasy, Loew holds a stake to his chest. In reality, Alva's brother pushes down on the stake. The stake pierces Loew's heart. But is this Loew's fantasy or his reality?

Nicholas Cage is a prolific (cough ...hack) actor of dubious ability who rode Coppola's coattails to make his early films like Moonstruck (about a one handed baker to a much older Cher, where art was imitating real life as she had a boy toy).

Adaptation is weird in sort of a good way (largely due to Meryl Streep). We could fill the entire topic for DAYS if we discuss him.

8mm is quite bizarre, taboo, and chilling.

Vampire's Kiss is so awful, it's in its own category of abysmal. Maybe you'd have to be inebriated and stoned out of your mind to enjoy it?

Too many cursewords. I'll use the trailer instead. It's Renfield x a Million. It's worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space and Manos Hands of Fate combined.

Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 15, 2016 at 06:06 PM.

I think I've seen a Rifftrax version of that Manos: Hands of Fate movie where they make fun of it the whole time and lampoon it perfectly.

Also, Beetlejuice, why didn't I think of that one before!

8MM is not weird in this vein, though. Likely one of his few good roles as well (not that the film has much more than a cult b-movie tone)

And surely you can't mention 8mm if we are talking about weird and in The Cage. Soul's still dancing! hahahahaha

Bad Lieutenant...I forgot how much I loved that movie.

8mm aims to be Seven, but can't quite get there. Joel Schumacher and Cage drag down Andrew Kevin Walker (who wrote Seven). It's about the sordid world of the 70-80s snuff films. Strangely enough, there's reason to believe several famous murders were staged for snuff films.

The Number 23 is entirely based upon the mythology of it, something noticed by numerous individuals, and Jim Carrey's attempts to do more than physical comedy (ala Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind three years prior).

Robert Anton Wilson cites William S. Burroughs as the first person to believe in the 23 enigma.[1] Wilson, in an article in Fortean Times, related the following anecdote:
    I first heard of the 23 enigma from William S Burroughs, author of Naked Lunch, Nova Express, etc. According to Burroughs, he had known a certain Captain Clark, around 1960 in Tangier, who once bragged that he had been sailing 23 years without an accident. That very day, Clark’s ship had an accident that killed him and everybody else aboard. Furthermore, while Burroughs was thinking about this crude example of the irony of the gods that evening, a bulletin on the radio announced the crash of an airliner in Florida, USA. The pilot was another Captain Clark and the flight was Flight 23.[2]
    Burroughs wrote a short story in 1967 titled "23 Skidoo." The phrase "23 skidoo" was popular in the 1920s; it means "it's time to get out while the getting is good."[3]
    In literature

The 23 enigma can be seen in:

The text titled Principia Discordia claims that "All things happen in fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of five, or are somehow directly or indirectly appropriate to 5"[4]—this is referred to as the Law of Fives. The 23 enigma is regarded as a corollary of the Law of Fives because 2 + 3 = 5.
    In these works, 23 is considered lucky, unlucky, sinister, strange, sacred to the goddess Eris, or sacred to the unholy gods of the Cthulhu Mythos.
    As with most numerological claims, the 23 enigma can be viewed as an example of apophenia, selection bias, and confirmation bias. In interviews, Wilson acknowledged the self-fulfilling nature of the 23 enigma, implying that the real value of the Law of Fives and the 23 enigma is in their demonstration of the mind's ability to perceive "truth" in nearly anything.
    When you start looking for something you tend to find it. This wouldn't be like Simon Newcomb, the great astronomer, who wrote a mathematical proof that heavier than air flight was impossible and published it a day before the Wright brothers took off. I'm talking about people who found a pattern in nature and wrote several scientific articles and got it accepted by a large part of the scientific community before it was generally agreed that there was no such pattern, it was all just selective perception."[5]
    In the Illuminatus! Trilogy, Wilson expresses the same view, saying that one can find numerological significance in anything, provided that one has "sufficient cleverness."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_enigma

Donnie Darko while supremely strange...actually conceptually works. Hopefully it doesn't infect the mentally disturbed.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 15, 2016 at 06:07 PM.

^Why are you wearing that stupid man-suit?

In US history, few serial killers worked with accomplices. In Hollywood films, seldom were children the killers. The Bad Seed, the Omen, the Children of the Corn, and the excellent White Ribbon break the latter rule.

Frailty breaks BOTH rules. It's unclear if this is psychological terror or supernatural horror until the final scene.

Matthew McConaughey's early career was stunted due to his goofiness versus his looks versus questionable range, but this was dispelled with Frailty. He has since gone forward to extremely challenging diverse roles.

The high strangeness of Donnie Darko...

...depicting Suburban Hell and cheerleader/dance teams.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 15, 2016 at 06:32 PM.

I just want to take this moment to have a little chat, you guys. Something's been disturbing me for a while now, and I think it's time we had a little talk. Given your actions and activity on the forums, some things have come to light that have seriously put into question your commitment to sparkle motion. I think you should take some time to reflect on that.

That film makes you think how awful the cheerleading/dance team situation is, especially on becoming a father. It's so creepy I didn't attach the clip.
    I've never seen anything more than the trailer, but Gozu is one of the strangest films. The Japanese trailer is obscene, a word I seldom use.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gozu
    Gozu (極道恐怖大劇場 牛頭 GOZU Gokudō kyōfu dai-gekijō: Gozu?, literally: Yakuza Horror Theatre: Cow's Head) is a Japanese cult film directed by Takashi Miike and written by Sakichi Sato.

Structurally, Gozu is a succession of bizarre scenes sandwiched between a storyline involving Minami’s search for his Yakuza brother Ozaki in a small town, that is reminiscent of the episodic quests in Greek Mythology.[1]
    Minami's encounter with a minotaur-like creature gives the film its name (Gozu is Japanese for cow's head).
    There's a very peculiar Japanese film involving a biological female activity. The TOS prevents discussing any more.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_W...r_a_Red_Bridge

It's actually quite tame and charming.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 15, 2016 at 07:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast