Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Second Bulgarian Tsardom

Libertus

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Second Bulgarian Tsardom

Sorry for the double post . Anyway ,Ltd i hope you've take some of my ideas into consideration ,like changing the names of the bodyguard units ,and heavy infantry.(look up up the ladder to see my comment for what i am talking about).

Slepeca why don't you check the Bulgarian army in the 80s and compare them to the now day and those are only 30 years, now imagine before 600.

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Slepeca View Post
    Well ,it's not big of a question for the educated ones ,here ,and elsewhere ,it's just that since childbirth we always saw the medieval bulgarian soldiers with mail/scale armor and round helms (From movies and all of tha jazz)only that ,and now that we actually examine the excavations,trade agreements and frescos of bulgarian churches we see that our armies might'v looked more western in the late 14-th century ,than we thought up to that point ,it's somewhat alien and foreign to us ,for me it is a little bit (because was one of the early people to read about that ,in these forums ,and blogs around the net ) ,but i am actually kinda glad ,because throught the time of watching these films showcase the bulgarian armies like that ,i really hated it .And also ,i don't it has that much russian influence ,rather not examining the artifacts ,trade agreements and so on .
    I agree with all of this.
    The Soviet influence probably wasn't direct, but it created the environment. It is true that many of the Bulgarian historians were/are really incompetent and/or lazy. If they get basic and obvious stuff hopelessly wrong*, you can't trust them about anything.

* In Bulgarian books/articles that I've read, they often seem to accept the numbers quoted by contemporary sources without critique. This is embarassing for a modern professional historian. E.g. Vukashin and Uglesha with 60 000 men at Chernomen

Kjertesvein as you asked me about the sabatons of the Boyars in this link you can see images from old Bulgarian books, icons and archeological evidences (I posted this link before):
    http://terrazagora.blogspot.bg/2014/08/xiv.html?m=1
    As you can see the Boyars have the most modern equipment (mostly Italian, but also Hungarian).
    Ltd. this mod is so beautiful, you have done a great job. I am sure that many people will play it. I will definitely get it. Bdw. for some time I was trying to say that the Boyars and the Heavy Infantry should have sabatons instead of boots, but I forgot their name.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thank you lion8000, but my Bulgarian is a bit rusty today seeing as I'm Norwegian.

If you could post the pictures and a direct translation of the text which deals with this subject, then I would be much appreciated. I may be mistaken, but I saw some manuscripts from what I believe to be from Hungary in there as well as a few effigies I remember from Germany. I'm a bit confused, so perhaps you can teach me.

Thank you.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Kjertesvein there are some images from other nations because they have the same armor parts like the archeological evidences. I have an problem with sending many pictures at one time because right now I am posting on my smart phone while I change the websites it constantly refresh this one and it dilates all previous images. Well now I will post 2 pictures and you could find out which is Bulgarian by the art style:

The first one is from the Manasses chronicle (all images in this style are from it). The second one is an icon from the Boyan church (some of the icons are from now day Serbia and Greece and because large parts of their territory was part of Bulgaria at that time I don't know are they Bulgarian or not).

Blak's Avatar Libertus

Icon3 Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Second Bulgarian Tsardom

guys take a look at some pictures I found in bulgarian kid books..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb2b8d1e7052e2fbc30232edfa554200.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	336598

Name:	cf44f4dedd33d9f270395029beeb74a7.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	336595

Name:	N40NVa.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	336596

Name:	vasin1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	336593

Name:	c245f49599a1216def5b4390a5321a52.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	336597

Name:	photo_verybig_118958.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	336594

In some kid books and some student books Bulgarian army is mostly depicted as mercenaries/levies and lots of cumans in early period.. I read most of the info here and I find it quite relevant and accurate. I love your job guys , keep it up and thx for your efforts , cant express my gratitude to the team in words so , you got me <3 :*
    Last edited by Blak; April 28, 2016 at 10:05 AM.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

I really enjoyed looking at the updated units.Colourful as fu ck. I can't see any bad criticism on the subject. Probably give maybe 1-2 gunpowder units because 1 of the forum posts commented that in a fortress near the capital Turnovo back then last 30 years there were found evidences of firearms and bullets from before or in the time of the Ottoman invasion of the balkans in the late 14th, early 15th centuries. The same fortress was the main center for minting coins/money for the state.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Do not confuse Volga Bulgarians with Bulgarians in the Balkans.

Quote Originally Posted by lion8000 View Post
    Kjertesvein there are some images from other nations because they have the same armor parts like the archeological evidences. I have an problem with sending many pictures at one time because right now I am posting on my smart phone while I change the websites it constantly refresh this one and it dilates all previous images. Well now I will post 2 pictures and you could find out which is Bulgarian by the art style:

The first one is from the Manasses chronicle (all images in this style are from it). The second one is an icon from the Boyan church (some of the icons are from now day Serbia and Greece and because large parts of their territory was part of Bulgaria at that time I don't know are they Bulgarian or not).
    I quess you can not read Greek (espesialy those middle ages Greek).
    The picture refers to Nikephorus Phokas army ..The shield with the cresent belongs to a Constantinople's Guardsman.
    Constantinople kept Byzantium's insignia (aka the cresent) untill its lasts momments.
    "Clasisicm" in Middle Ages Roman Empire (the one you call Byzantine) started in the reign of Leon VI and ended with the end of the Macedonian Dynasty.
    Terms like "hoplite" and others among them "Byzantines" (those that live inside the city once was known as Byzantion) apeared then. But it was a crime to death penalty not to call the citizens Romans or the state "State of the Romans" (gr: Romaeon Politeia/Ρωμαιων Πολιτεια)...
    Fragment from Leonis Imperatoris Tactika of Emperor (Augoust) Leon VI the Wise.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Something in the western world is not known was that "ceasar" was an inferior title. All Roman Emperors after August had "August" as their Title that ment "Emperor".

Kaisar/Kaiser/Tzar/Tsar were inferior titles that Roman Emperors called other Kings or given as gift title by them. No one though was ever uknowleged as August or Basilues exept the Sassanid Shah and after Shan none!

The under line sentence says "our Romaeon Politeia "

The underline sentence says "formations of "ethics" (meens other than christians) and Roman ones).

Emperor Leon VI was Basill 2 grandfather and lived in late 9th century (2nd Emperor of the Macedonian Dynasty).
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; April 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

AnthoniusII tsar definitely means emperor and it is much higher then king and if the tsar is equal to the Byzantine emperor or not I don't wanna lead this conversation. There is no dispute that those in right are Byzantines but those above and those in left are Bulgarians. For that reason I don't know why are you posting this.
    Kjertesvein if you like you could check the Manasses chronicle and the medieval Bulgarian icons.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I checked out the whole Manasses manuscript, the link you posted, the church artwork, but these do not show miniatures, artwork or remains of sabatons and white armour. I'm a bit confused by your earlier post because the factual statements you made doesn't correspond with the evidence I've seen.
    you have to add some high era Boyar units with armor like the Hungarian knights and give some blue color to the other Boyar units(there will be more hing era Boyars right). By the way I mentioned before that the high era Boyars instead of boots their feet were armored like those of the western knights).

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

That's why those are for the high era and in the miniatures you can see that they have mail armour for the legs.[IMGhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jk5XkGhlk6g/U-6NEExNFdI/AAAAAAAACqw/iR3Or5dcflQ/s1600/post-6-26029-4484.jpg[/IMG] this is found in Bulgaria. I thought that the armor parts for the feet are cold sabatons, what is their name during the XII-XIVth century. During the XVth century they should be Hungarian because there was the stronghold of prince Fruzhin.
    Last edited by lion8000; August 13, 2017 at 06:07 AM.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I checked out the whole Manasses manuscript, the link you posted, the church artwork, but these do not show miniatures, artwork or remains of sabatons and white armour. I'm a bit confused by your earlier post because the factual statements you made doesn't correspond with the evidence I've seen.

~Wille
    Can't believe you take this guy seriously ,he is just making fun of the early Frozenmanbg,i even doubt he is bulgarian .

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Slepeca View Post
    Can't believe you take this guy seriously ,he is just making fun of the early Frozenmanbg,i even doubt he is bulgarian .
    What?? (я изгледай мултиплеър битките от Рим 2 и тн. качени от Блек кнайт в ютуб и тогава говори че не съм българин.)

Btw I just read that the Bulgars were introduced to the firearms after 1367-8 with the campaign of a Savoian noble working for the Byzantine empire, who conquered 5-8 fortresses , located on the Black Sea. Later I will update the post with the map of that naval expedition.

Edit: I just Found an old Bulgarian Movie from 1982 that I have never heard of it till today.

In this Crusade for the first time in Bulgarian lands appeared firearms, which the Savoy army attacks coastal cities.
    This clash is described in the novel by Boyan Bolgar "The Hundred of mishaps ban Batil" in the film "Devil Arms" (1982)

Summary: 14th century. Iovo Batil was a young nobleman. When it comes envoy Bulgarian king bids him to perform a very dangerous mission - to find the secret weapon of the Savoy army. Along with a Byzantine monk Innocent, ... and fisherman, Iovo Batil penetrates the stronghold of Amadeus of Savoy. He frees the boyar Dragota and his daughter Radusha are enclosed here by the Savoy army. In the ensuing chase Dragota was killed and Iovo Batil vows never to abandon his daughter.

Unfortunately - no English Subs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadeu...Count_of_Savoy
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; April 27, 2016 at 11:43 AM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

AnthoniusII tsar definitely means emperor and it is much higher then king and if the tsar is equal to the Byzantine emperor or not I don't wanna lead this conversation. There is no dispute that those in right are Byzantines but those above and those in left are Bulgarians. For that reason I don't know why are you posting this.
    Kjertesvein if you like you could check the Manasses chronicle and the medieval Bulgarian icons.
    I apologise that doupted your sources and knowlege.
    Can you please read what the script of the image you post says please? I am willing to learn Bulgarian because my friend NikeBG is one and i want to start learning his language.
    Seriusly now...
    Tzar/Tsar/Caisar means "emperor" for all barbarians and not for Romans or Sassanids.
    The 1st Roman Emperor was not Ceasar but August and that is why all Romans Emperors used his name to define their authority from barbarian "kings" and chieftains". They even made Ceasar title as gift to barbarian allies. The 1st pic is how Roman Emperor Leo VI signs in the end (the underline word in the 1st picture) August(gr:Augustos/Αυγουστος).
    The other word "autokrator" that also uses defines the lack of autority over himself by no one other Than God.
    Such threads are perfect opportunity for all of us to learn a couple of things and not "live" in our fictional history.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I thought the whole Augustus and Caesar system fell apart after the fall of the western empire, and that it was only used by the tetrarchy and the Constantinian Dinasty.

Slepeca какъв ти е проблема.
    Kjertesvein I apologize because you write high era Boyars (that means XIII-XIVth century) I was little confused, that's why my information was for that era, don't hate me. Well could someone please tell me what is the name of the sabatons during the XII-XIVth century. I write this before: During XVth century (late era) 1422-1460 Bulgaria was already destroyed and the last left Boyars were rebels that fight agents the ottomans to restore the Bulgarian empire.
    AnthoniusII this is great that you want to learn Bulgarian. But the script is on Old Bulgarian which is kind of different from the modern Bulgarian and it has some letters that don't exist anymore. I can read only separate words from it.

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

Искам да видя един форум където българи да не са се хванали за гушите. Обещавам ви, да направя всичко възможно да защитавам и изисквам пред съотборниците ми всяко ваше предложение, стига то да е обосновано и приложимо.
    Но искам да не се обиждаме един друг поне тук!

I want to see a forum where bulgarians can't catch each other's throats. I promise to do everything possible to defend and demand to my teammates every yours proposal, as long as it is reasonable and practicable.
    But I want do not offend each other at least here, please
    [IMG][/IMG]

Libertus

Говорех за другото момче .

Libertus

Slepeca какъв ти е проблема.
    Kjertesvein I apologize because you write high era Boyars (that means XIII-XIVth century) I was little confused, that's why my information was for that era, don't hate me. Well could someone please tell me what is the name of the sabatons during the XII-XIVth century. I write this before: During XVth century (late era) 1422-1460 Bulgaria was already destroyed and the last left Boyars were rebels that fight agents the ottomans to restore the Bulgarian empire.
    AnthoniusII this is great that you want to learn Bulgarian. But the script is on Old Bulgarian which is kind of different from the modern Bulgarian and it has some letters that don't exist anymore. I can read only separate words from it.
    Не ме разбирай погрешно ,нямам проблем просто понякога с разваления ти английски ми става чудно как някой от хората тук те взимат сериозно . FinixIf you want delete my comments .