Thread: Tuskmod Series: Attila Realism (ALPHA 2.0) Released

Default Tuskmod Series: Attila Realism (ALPHA 2.0) Released

Welcome to the Realism Branch of Tuskmod, while this will not start out as a full overhaul like other mods, the hope is that this portion of Tuskmod will bring more complexity, strategic thinking, and historical balance to the base game of Attila. My friend WarlusJones has been hard at work all these months and has allowed me to head this project based on Tuskmod. This particular mod is mean't for early alpha testers who wish to try out this style of game play. All criticism is valid and needed in order to make this successful. I hope you enjoy yourselves.

~Features~

Campaign:

Overall, the AI in campaign should have been improved and should allow for more dynamic and varied campaigns with increased complexity in decision making. The AI has a chance to fulfill their historical roles more than vanilla campaign. Political actions are very important and neglect can result in an early loss. Diplomacy needs to be managed carefully or risk other factions taking advantage of your weakness. More in depth changes listed below.

-All Grand Campaign changes in base Tuskmod
    -Great Migrators Overhaul: Starting Armies have been revamped for easier survivability with regards to the AI and increased diversity for players. If you are their enemy, beware, your start will be difficult.
    -Horses divided into distinct breeds with varying speed, mass, acceleration, and movement speeds.
    -Changed starting diplomatic situations to allow for longer lasting Migrators and longer lasting Romans
    -War Weariness for Grand Campaign added thanks to my friend Magnar
    -Campaign movement slightly decreased and can vary drastically with Seasonal changes
    -Improved AI recruitment tweaks
    -Changed battle deployment distance to assist AI (initial coordinates thanks to Sheridan).
    -Base income to all factions reduced from magic value
    -Various edits, additions, changes to all above works.
    -Some faction color work with the help of tullyccro.
    -New Roman emblems thanks to Noif.
    -3rd Party Assets will mostly come from Open Source works by succettitim6, Avetis' excellent textures, The Germans are Coming's helmet textures, and Pale Blue Dots wonderful Nordic textures.

Battle Changes:

Completely revamped Fatigue, Morale, and Kv Rules. Based on Tuskmod with heavy modifications. Battles can last up to 30 minutes or 6 minutes depending on your actions...or the AI's. Battles are not as clear cut as they used to be and the slightest change in the balance of the battle can have cascading effects. The new Armour System is straightforward and precise. Armour is what you see. The units visual appearance will give a rough estimate as to how long they will last in battle. The heaviest armored opponents will take time and skill to kill. The Armour System was partially inspired by my friend Magnar's calculation system in which separate armor pieces are added and combined into a value. In the end, balance is maintained while showing off the reliability and advantage armor played in ancient times.

Statistical balancing remains close to base Tuskmod so players who are familiar with that balance will have some idea of how core unit balance works. Formation is more important than specific unit balance in the Realism branch, getting out of formation is a ticket to lose the battle. Stay disciplined and victory will be yours.

**Compatibility Notice** This mod uses altered Startpos for Attila. It also makes many edits to numerous tables. Unit mods should be able to work and will be balanced so long as they are balanced for vanilla settings.

*Obligatory Special thanks to all the modders who I have pestered over the years for advice, teaching and ideas. You have all been wonderful people to me and all of you have left your mak on the modding scene.*

Non-Steam Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/u8...la_Realism.rar
    Steam Mod Page (OBSOLETE UNTIL I CAN GET IT UPDATED): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=577183787

Screenshots (Soon to come!)
    Last edited by The Gravemind; December 24, 2015 at 11:19 PM.

Default Re: Tuskmod Series: Attila Realism (ALPHA 2.0) Released

Is this still being developed? I love this mod but there´ve been no notifications or updates since release
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Very interested in the development of this great mod too. I wish good luck in your project and that it gets updated soon.

I join the previous questions. This looks like a very good mod. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Elitewolf View Post
    Is this still being developed? I love this mod but there´ve been no notifications or updates since release
    The old threads discussions got wiped by the forum reset, but I do remember some discussions/requests regarding how players wanted the AI to change/evolve, as such, I need to figure out the cause of certain AI bumbles.

Could not find a proper place to post this, so I'm posting it here as I'm playing with 2.0:

Difficulty
    Campaign: Hard
    Battle: Normal
    Playing with Jutes.

Battles
    Battles are really great, the length of them are way better than from vanilla, but I noticed some thing where there is room to improve IMHO.
    Some units just don't want to die. I mean, I've stumbled upon a few times that in a 3vs1 unit the last few units last so long, even if they are surrounded by numerical
    superiority.
    For example if there is one general unit, and I'm attacking with 3 tier1 unit, they should die or rout quickly if they surrounded, but instead they fight to death sometimes
    and the last few units lasting very long. So long that they sometimes rout my units and I lose as they have much higher morale.
    Which seems unreasonable when there is about 300 units against 10 or 5.
    It must be made clear that this only happened a few times, and it is not usual or easily re-producible error!

Also I've noted that flanking does a great deal of moral damage, but much less physical damage.
    Is it possible to increase a bit the flanking from side and a bit more the flanking from behind damages?

I'm not criticizing the mod, I'm just trying to provide my remarks, in hope it can possibly contribute to make the mod better.

By the way, what is the recommended difficulty settings for this mod?

Alright, me and celticus have formulated a solution, and it will be making it into the next beta/alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Gülredy View Post
    Could not find a proper place to post this, so I'm posting it here as I'm playing with 2.0:

Difficulty
    Campaign: Hard
    Battle: Normal
    Playing with Jutes.

Battles
    Battles are really great, the length of them are way better than from vanilla, but I noticed some thing where there is room to improve IMHO.
    Some units just don't want to die. I mean, I've stumbled upon a few times that in a 3vs1 unit the last few units last so long, even if they are surrounded by numerical
    superiority.
    For example if there is one general unit, and I'm attacking with 3 tier1 unit, they should die or rout quickly if they surrounded, but instead they fight to death sometimes
    and the last few units lasting very long. So long that they sometimes rout my units and I lose as they have much higher morale.
    Which seems unreasonable when there is about 300 units against 10 or 5.
    It must be made clear that this only happened a few times, and it is not usual or easily re-producible error!

Also I've noted that flanking does a great deal of moral damage, but much less physical damage.
    Is it possible to increase a bit the flanking from side and a bit more the flanking from behind damages?

I'm not criticizing the mod, I'm just trying to provide my remarks, in hope it can possibly contribute to make the mod better.

By the way, what is the recommended difficulty settings for this mod?
    I have updated the battle portion of the mod with your input taken into consideration. Also updated to remain in line with the Beta version of normal Tuskmod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=591200193

Thanks, I'll give it a try and report back.