Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wars of the Roses mod - anyone interested?

Default Wars of the Roses mod - anyone interested?

I'm interested in undertaking this project but i'm not entirely sure i'll be able to do it alone. Most of the work will be on the campaign map of course, and only minor skin editing will need to take place.

I was thinking a series of mini-campaigns maybe, with a 'grand campaign' by replacing religion with 'support', so Catholic and Islam becomes Lancastrian or Yorkist, and the pope is the king. Then each player would play as one of the lords and fight for control of the king and the country. Factions could be France, Burgundy, Scotland, and the various English lords (Warwick, Edward, etc.) who would be split between Lancastrian and Yorkists.

That should make for a really interesting game - kind of a political game going on in the background, as you could do all the political backstabbing between lords to make sure it's you who gets to control the king.

Anyone interested in helping me with this?
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Gavmundo's Avatar Senator
    Morecambe, UK ... in the realms of the North!

Default Re: Wars of the Roses mod - anyone interested?

I think its a terrific idea. I'm mot a modder so couldn't help in that way but would love to see a War of the Roses game. There haven't been any decent War of the Roses games on the comp. I used to love playing the Kingmaker Boardgame and they did make a computerised version of this but besides that the only roses game I remember was by Paradox and was called Two Thones ... and wasn't very good!

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to The Gathering as it's the starting base for all major/minor mods.

Well, Gavmundo, you could give me a hand in working out how i'm going to do the civil war system. And of course historical help.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

I'm working on a Princes, Kings and Heroes mod of my own. Set earlier (late 1200's early 1300's) but the map could easily be modified for a War of the Roses game - provided you want a Very big map of just Britain, very little France and Ireland would be there if wanted.

Marcus Orentius's Avatar Tiro

Maybe make it a similar size to the VI map in MTW1. With more regions.:hmmm:

That would be perfect wilddog, but I thought a bit more of France would be good - certainly in the early game, you could try and take back lost French territories for a massive bonus in support. I'll need Burgundy in there as well. A little bit of Ireland's all that's needed though, as a place to send crap generals (Rich of York was sent there), and perhaps as a place to build up your forces for an assault.

But yeah, if I could modify your one, that'd be great. That's where most of the work would be done, really.

Also, i'm going to do one of two things, and have very few regions, or have lots and lots of regions, but make low-level settlements not need a garrison to keep them in order and make them unable to develop past what they are.

Considering there was barely a siege in the whole period, I don't want it to be a siegefest. I'm also going to make unit upkeep astronomical.

OK, here's the first draft. I'm going to stick to a rather minimalist style, and it'll be a skinny campaign. VERY few regions. The royal system needs refining, and if anyone has any better ideas about it then don't hesitate to mention.

Units:

Royal Foot Knights (General's Bodyguard)
    English Feudal Knights - made to be less effective
    English Chivalric Knights - made to be less effective
    English Cavaliers - made to be less effective

Dismounted Feudal Knights
    Dismounted Chivalric Knights
    Armoured Billmen
    Bill Militia
    Pike Militia
    Armoured Pikemen
    Royal Longbowmen
    Longbow Militia
    Crossbowmen
    Flemish Handgunners (Mercenaries)
    Bombards - made to be less effective
    Cannons - made to be less effective

Factions

The Percies
    The Nevilles
    The House of York
    The Beauforts
    The Tudors - If I decide to do one campaign.
    The Royal House
    - I may have the Woodville family as an emergent faction.

Scotland
    France
    Burgundy

Campaign

I am considering having two campaigns, one beginning in 1453 and lasting until 1483. The second will begin in 1483 and will be very short, covering only Richard's attempt to hold on to the crown. If I do, what follows details the former campaign. Details for the latter will be thought up when the time is right.

- There will be two turns per year.

-Unit upkeep will be VERY high.
    -There will be hardly any provinces at all - only major cities.
    Other factions excluding english ones will be free to make alliances with each side, as they also will have their own ideas about which factions to support. They will be useful for withdrawing to launch invasions.

France are at war with England at the start of the game, although may be willing to give support to either side. On the other hand, any lord that can retake the lost territories in France will make a good name for himself.

Royal system

This is the current royal system. There are, of course, many ways of doing this. If anybody has any better ideas then do mention them.

Religion will be replaced with a 'loyalty' system. Christians will become Lancastrians, Muslims will become Yorkists.

Civilians will also have loyalties, so each settlement will have a proportion of people who support each faction. This can of course be changed in a number of ways.

By doing this, the pope will be replaced with the 'king', as far as the Lancastrians are concerned. So the king will be Henry VI. He left one heir, Edward, who will be represented as a cardinal. This will not allow him to take part in battles unless Henry dies, but is the best system I can come up with.

By gaining favour with the king, he will listen to your requests for military help, and decide where to send armies. (This replaces crusades.)

While Lancastrians have crusades, Yorkists do not have Jihads. 'Crusades' are far less powerful, so the Yorkists will have to make do with traditional military campaigns.

Therefore, the object of the game for the Lancastrians will be to defeat the Yorkist lords utterly while not letting the Lancastrian line (Henry and his son) die out. For the Yorkists, they will aim to defeat the Lancastrian lords and end their royal line. Both sides will also have to watch out for rebellious generals.

That would be perfect wilddog, but I thought a bit more of France would be good - certainly in the early game, you could try and take back lost French territories for a massive bonus in support. I'll need Burgundy in there as well. A little bit of Ireland's all that's needed though, as a place to send crap generals (Rich of York was sent there), and perhaps as a place to build up your forces for an assault.
    Lord Kal - unfortunately my response on this got deleted. Basically You'll need another map then rather than mine.

Would it not be possible to slightly edit yours?

Lord Kal
    The map I'm working on doesn't have anything other than a small bit of the Calais area so unfortunately its not possible to slightly edit to include half of France.

Suggest you look to the Arthurian mod in BI as that had a small map which included parts of France.

Are maps transferable?

This sounds like great mod. One which is certainly worth playing.

I could REALLY use help with history/design btw.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Im interested.
    Will you implement complete characters?
    I mean, when the game starts there should be many generals in each faction.
    Yorkists players should find Richard Neville in Warwick
    Maybe Jack Cade could appear with his peasent army...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Well if the game starts in '53 then Jack Cade will have been and gone. But yes, generals will be a key feature. If you're the Lancastrians, then sending Henry to battle will be madness. You'll need to look after your good generals (or try to get others to defect.) As the Yorkists, you'll have Edward Earl of March (Edward IV) and Warwick, who were both great leaders.

Also can people willing to help in ANY WAY, whether it be coding, history, or design and planning (the only graphics needing doing will be minor reskins and i can do those) please make themselves known. It's unlikely i'll be able to do this myself.

I'll happily provide some historical background, military unit descriptionm help shape out the factions, do some side artwork (no skinning, i'm afraid), etc.
    浪人 - 二天一

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Hey guys, I'm helping out with Claim of Kings - a mod that covers the Hundred Years war and the years preceding it. There's bound to be a good number of things we can share. Annoyingly our team leader We51ey is away for the next few weeks, so its hard to speak on his behalf, but I know that he'll be interested in promoting a bit of community unity so to speak. Our Sub-Forum is a little sparse at the moment mind, but has the basic idea of whats going on in our mod. Work on it begins in earnest once Wes is around more from college.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=233 <--- Our subforum.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast