Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dawn over Tamriel - The Merethic Era RP-IH

Default Re: Dawn over Tamriel - The Merethic Era RP-IH

Goblin-ken article. Seems there is also Giant Goblins that may be present in the deserts of Hammerfell as they fought the Ra Gada when they arrived.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Posted my faction, though it's very WIP.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

The military rules are now up. With this I think we're pretty much good to go guys, as soon as y'all get your factions finished up we can get this party started.

@Perry I concur with BF, please at least slightly distinguish your Orsimer from Warhammer Orks. Even a small change of names would suffice, just so the faction isn't a clone of the Warhammer Orks in all but name

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

My thread sign up has different names and such, its all good in this hood.

edit
    So where do we post our military stuff?
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; December 22, 2015 at 09:54 PM.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Just the lands I intend to claim for my WIP faction, if its allowed:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Checks out with the economy rules, I think you're good to go, jacb

@Barry,
    So as I understand it, each turn your province output creates that many points, and you can spend those points into creating new units every turn?
    Also, how much are the Nedic units disadvantaged in ability, roughly?

@Perry You should post your income & troops in your faction thread. I'll create a recruitment thread in the RP section where you can announce the recruitment of new troops.

@BF Pretty much, yeah. As for Nedic units, since they're half the cost of everyone else's troops I think it'd make sense for them to be half as good in a straight-up fight, though that can be offset by a good battlefield deployment & tactics: all in all, I'd say that the most effective way to employ Nedic units is NOT to just attempt to choke your enemies with their blood & bones But to make the most use of their numbers in a tactical manner - ex. by presenting a longer front line that can envelop the enemy more effectively, using parts of your army to pin the opponent in place while the rest swarm their flanks instead of just throwing everything at them head-on, or even a proto-manipular system where the front-line troops grind the enemy down& then fall back to let the better rear-echelon units finish them.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

So, are we gonna get a movement thread and a battle thread like usual?

So we've got Orcs, Elves and men. All we need is Dwenmer and Nords and we got everyone.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

*Cough* I would be willing to play Dwemer. I'll sign up shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    So, are we gonna get a movement thread and a battle thread like usual?

So we've got Orcs, Elves and men. All we need is Dwenmer and Nords and we got everyone.
    Yep, as soon as folks have finished their factions I'll post those threads (you won't need to announce your initial purchases in the recruitment thread, as per the old timey IHs you can just slap them right onto your faction threads). I always open them with one or two sentences reiterating the already-obvious purpose of the thread anyway, so they're not exactly hard to write up

@Skylord_Conor21 Welcome aboard!

Almost done. Just need a good image for my mages.. Any suggestions?

I've rectified an oversight in the military rules - naval units are now in the game.

@BF Since I'm getting some Middle Eastern/North African vibes from your Abeceans...how do Hebrew magi, Hebrew priests, Assyrian priests or Babylonian priests sound?

I've since give them more mediterranean flare (the main Nede group we know of in the lore is the Greco-Roman Nibenese, so..), but yeah, I was thinking Magi as well, but I can't find any suitable images.

Anyways, I'm done, mechanically and text-wise.

I've fixed two economic direspancies: first, explained how to upgrade provinces, and secondly I've added buildings. They're pretty cheap, straightforward and quick to build though, since this game is after all supposed to be simple & I've found that long wait times can frustrate players to the point of killing interest in past IHs. I've also added a 'Master Architect' trait to go with the building system, and yes if you've already written down your faction you can indeed change your characters' trait to Master Architect at any point until the actual start of the game.

I don't believe there is anything else to add to this game, so y'all won't have to worry about new features any time soon

I'm having second thoughts now though, about my Nedes;

I've chosen an early mediterranean style for them, but now I'm thinking the designs I chose for the units would probably fit more for the Nedes in Cyrodiil (who would rebel under Alessia in 252 years, in 1E 242, and eventually form that Empire we all know).

See, Nedes kind of feel like the earliest humans (humans as we know them now, not neanderthals etc), but probably didn't amount to much more than cavemen for a long time.
    It seems like civilization in the true sense was mostly impressed upon them by the elves (again, I'd argue the Nibenese at the time of the Alessian revolt look like the primitive Grecian units I chose for Taneth, and a lot of that may be even borrowed from the Ayleid elves or Ayleid elven influences - helmets and metal weapons for sure).
    Nords, in contrast, had some more technology, but it was still that "Conan the Barbarian"-type looking civilization, with giant stone cities and armor that fit right at home on frozen Atmora.

I have a hard time imagining Nedes during the Merethic era were any more advanced than this generally, by their own power.
    That the Nedes in the Deathlands were able to build cities of stone really implies nothing but literally this.

So to be honest I'm not really sure, I might revert my faction to a more primitive look..

EDIT: Actually, Xion just made a good suggestion.
    Instead of re-doing my faction, I'm going to move it to the south-east, at the border of Cyrodiil, and change the name and history around a bit.
    That way I can justify them feeling more like Cyrodiilic Nedes (and perhaps having more civilization than Neanderthals because of Alyeid neighbors).
    Thanks Xion!
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; December 23, 2015 at 08:31 PM.

And done. I've moved down next to Cyrodiil and renamed the faction from "Taneth" to "Brena".
    The history now represents them as connected to the Cyrodilic Nedes, making their mediterranean style feel more believable.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Any chance I can post up an App for some Nords?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Aquilifer View Post
    Any chance I can post up an App for some Nords?
    Absolutely, welcome aboard.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The C'yr Nord Kingdom of Ysgisen
    The descendants of the migrant-conquerors of Atmora, the C'yr Nords have taken axe and torch to the lands of the West. They followed on from their fellow Nords in the assault on the Nedes and Snow Elves, descending on isolated settlements and valley holdouts with the name of Shor on their lips. More a warband than an army, more a migration than a conquest, the C'yr presence is still in its early stages. Driven out of the fledgling Kingdom of Skyrim due to famine, this exiled people have taken to the quest of vengeance with armed fists.

The clans within the Kingdom are numerous, warrior-families who have given everything for the chance of taking something better for themselves in the lands beyond what already fell to them. Only the Ygisen family have the power and influence to guide the rest of their people, the very same people who had raised them to royalty. Kin to the slaughtered colonists of Saarthal, the Ysgisen have held a volcanic hatred for the Snow Elves, part of the fire driving them ever onwards in search of the southern seas.

Initially led by the hunchback Eorlund Ysgisen, the C'yr pillaged their way across the lands to Saamr. There, the C'yr faced an army of Nedes for control over the land. Now called Lundisen, the fledgling town now acts as the capital for the infant kingdom of the C'yr.

Religion: The C'yr have accepted the Nordic Pantheon as the true creed of the deities, denouncing the old worship of animals as being removed from the truths of the world. Perhaps because of this advancement, the Ysgisen have declared themselves standard-bearers for the gods, cutting a bloody path through heathens and blasphemers

Ruling Family:
    - Gellir Ysgisen the Stale (51) Administrative Genius
    - - his wife, Finna Palebride (49)
    - - - Eorlund Ysgisen the Gnarled (30) Administrative Genius
    - - - - his wife, Kintyra Eorlseen (21)
    - - - Jorg Ysgisen Shattershield (27) Administrative Genius
    - - - - his wife, Frieda the Redoubt (19)

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Name: The Sons of Hjalmar (alternatively referred to as the Storm-Bringer Clan)
    Race: Nords

Provinces:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hjalmar.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	333708

Ruling family: Storm-Bringer
    Skjold Hjalmarsson Storm-Bringer (Master Mage):
    The new family patriarch and leader of the Storm-Bringer clan in the wake of the death of his father, Hjalmar Einarrsson, Skjold is gifted with the Voice as his ancestors have been for generations. He remains a highly capable warrior even without the gift of the Thu'um. He is young (only twenty-six), so some of the older men of the clan do not take him as seriously as they once took his father. However, Skjold is a man with a purpose: His father, cut down in the golden years of his reign by an unknown party of "Elven interlopers," must be avenged by any means necessary. Skjold is married to a woman named Frea.

Reginleif Hjalmarsdottir Stone-Shield (née Storm-Bringer) (Master Skirmisher):
    Daughter of Hjalmar and sister to Skjold, Reginleif is also gifted with the Voice but chooses to use it only sparingly, favoring the bow instead. This is not at all because she fears the Thu'um or is unskilled with it, but rather, because she has focused her mastery of it into different uses: Rather than for use in combat, Reginleif has become adept at using the Thu'um to manipulate nature. Her use of the Thu'um has often been the source of the clan's salvation on the bleak shores of the Sea of Ghosts. Should young Skjold die heirless, it was the will of her father that she become chieftain of the Storm-Bringer clan. She is twenty-two years old and is married to Grimr Stone-Shield.

Grimr Torsson Stone-Shield (Master Warrior):
    The son-in-law of old Hjalmar Storm-Bringer and brother in law to the new clan leader, Skjold, married to his sister Reginleif. Grimr is not gifted with the Thu'um, but makes up for it with his incredibly capability as a warrior. It is said that by the age of twelve, Grimr could lift a fully grown ox above his head and hurl it a significant distance. Now, at twenty-four, word is that he can do the same thing with two oxen - one in each hand. Whether this is truth or fantasy is unknown, but his battle prowess is certainly unquestionable.

Religion: Nordic Pantheon (Particular reverence for Shor and hatred for the Elven Auriel)

History & culture: The Storm-Bringers are newcomers to Tamriel, having arrived from Atmora only under the reign of their last chieftain, Hjalmar Einarrsson Broken-Sword. Nobody is entirely sure why Hjalmar left Atmora. The companions and kinsmen he brought with him who are old enough to remember keep the reason a secret, and it is likely that the secret will die with them. Whatever the reason, Hjalmar changed his name to Hjalmar Storm-Bringer, thanks to his mastery of the Call Storm shout, and the name stuck. His new clan settled along the shores of the Sea of Ghosts in the northeastern corner of High Rock, and immediately began raiding along the shores all the way down to Hammerfell.

Hjalmar became quite infamous among the locals. Nedes and Yokudans whispered his name with fear in the dark of the night, when torches suddenly appeared outside their windows, and when they heard the scrape of drawn swords and axes at their doors. Elves cursed him in their prayers for protection to Auriel. Brother Nords drank to his honor in their great halls and gave praises to Shor on his behalf. The camp of clan Storm-Bringer, on the miserable sea of ghosts, was brightened with stolen hoards of gold, silver, and precious gems. The ranks of the clan grew bigger every day as more and more Nord adventurers rallied to the banner of Hjalmar Storm-Bringer.

And then it happened: Nobody was sure how, but Hjalmar had his throat slit in his sleep - a double insult upon a Nord chieftain, to kill him in bed when he cannot defend himself and to destroy the source of his greatest weapon, the Thu'um. He was fifty-seven years old. Eyewitnesses reported seeing a few dark and slender forms depart from Hjalmar's tent and slip away into the night. Rumors abound: Some said it was a group disgruntled Nedic farmers, whose crops had been burned by some of Hjalmar's foraging warriors; Others suggested that maybe it was not man or mer at all, but a troop of Daedra, summoned by some malignant powers unknown to cut down their chieftain in his prime; But the most popular assumption - and the one accepted by Hjalmar's heir, Skjold Hjalmarsson, was that it was a squad of Elven assassins.

In any case, Skjold took the entire affair as a sign from Shor: That Skjold and his family were meant to be the bringers of his vengeance upon the Elven fiends. Going down that road will mean turning a tribe of raiders into a truly formidable band of warriors, which will mean acquiring money, power, and more fighting men and women. In that endeavor, Skjold, his sister Reginleif, and brother-in-law Grimr are prepared to stop at nothing: Raiding local tribes for supplies, ambushing Elven patrols, burning entire cities, even kidnapping foreign children and raising them to be good warriors if need be. The blood-feud is a time-honored tradition among the Nords, and the clan of Storm-Bringer are more than ready to bring that to bear against the Elven enemy.
    Last edited by Dan the Man; December 24, 2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Wrong map!
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast