Thread: How to draw arrows on campaign maps

Icon3 How to draw arrows on campaign maps

Hi there,

I was always a bit annoyed by the quality of my arrows that I drew onto my campaign maps to visualize, e.g. movement of troops or expansion directions. I use GIMP to create my images and I tried several things to improve my arrows, such as using the soft drawing feature where you add weights to your pointer to make your lines more smooth etc. But it's still not perfect.

Example: Soft drawing + weights
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In this example, I wanted to illustrate troop movement but these arrows are far from perfect. Note how the tip of the arrow and its wings are different for each one.

Now I finally found a nice script that does exactly what I need in a much better way. It will help you to create nice and smooth arrows for your maps, and your arrows will be consistent, with a similar style and with the same wings etc. The script is provided by a guy called Programmer_ceds.

Example: Using the .scm Script
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is the same image, now using arrows made with the scm script. Of course you can play around with the settings such as changing the arrow tip style, changing wing length and angle, brush size etc. But the resulting arrows are really smooth and look less "improvised" and less sketchy.

You can download the script here: http://registry.gimp.org/node/28566
    You need GIMP, of course. I think most of these .scm scripts also work for Photoshop but I'm not sure.
    How to install? Check this general guide for installing scripts: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GIMP/Installing_Plugins

How to use it?
    In GIMP, you need to use your "Path" tool to define a two-node path. Basically start and end of your arrows. Then you can adapt the curvature of the arrow by dragging the (path-)line, or by manipulating the two pointers at the end. That way you can adapt the shape and curve of your arrow. Then go to tools -> Arrows.

It's actually quite simple.

I know that not every AAR makes use of maps/campaign map images but I think it's a neat feature in most AARs and hopefully this little script will help some of you. Again, just to be clear: The script is not provided by myself, I merely found it and thought it might be a good idea to share.

Cheers, Z
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: How to draw arrows on campaign maps

Thank you, I didn't know about this and it looks useful for AAR writers

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

This is an insanely handy tool, thank you.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

This looks excellent.

Thanks, Zeion!

I've been using GIMP and this is indeed a much needed addition, thank you!