Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nephy's Balance (Gasp!!!) Thread

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Nephy's Balance (Gasp!!!) Thread

Another question, since I just realized it's possible. Should I make a sort of "Police" trait? Basically there is an attribute in Medieval 2 called is_peasant that makes unit's count as only half for removing a city's unrest. So 50 soldiers with this trait only count as 25. Basically units without this trait would be better at maintaining order in a city. I can already see this as a good trait for a unit like Town Guards, who are more geared towards police duty rather than military duty. Combined with their Free Upkeep bonus, it makes them attractive to have stationed in all your cities even when you have stronger units out on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    Some things I've noticed after messing around:

- Troop numbers seem to have an insanely positive effect, even if their stats are weaker. This doesn't seem to be because a higher number of troops is inherently better, but rather because more troop numbers increases the odds exponentially of soldiers being able to surround and attack from multiple sides, which seems to be the insanely-massive-hugest-most-important-all-determining factor on who wins a melee fight.

- Unsurprisingly with this knowledge, messing with the unit's rank and file formation can also alter the way a unit performs to an insane degree. A really wide single line of soldiers will dominate as opposed to the exact same unit with the exact same stats in a much smaller, compact 3 row formation. This is most likely because the long line of troops much more easily surrounds their target and has to circle around back after a charge. With this in mind it's absolutely necessary to make the formation of swarm factions (such as the Gohma and Kokiri) smaller in size with more rows. 200 Gohma in 2 rows absolutely massacred 100 Gerudo in 2 rows. However, upon changing 200 Gohma to be in a formation of 4 rows managed to be about equal match for 100 Gerudo in 2 rows. I simply cannot stress enough just how massively critical troop locations relative to their targets are in a melee. It really is the #1 factor to determining what wins a melee fight, regardless of all other stats. It seems like a single soldier with 62 attack and armor can be defeated by just 4-8 troops with 1 of every stat.

- Using two units of equal stats as a base, increasing armor seems to have a much more noticeable effect as opposed to increasing damage. A unit with 1 more armor seems to be able to do about 50% more damage to a unit's soldier numbers (two groups of 50 soldiers, the one with higher armor killed 2 soldiers for every 1), where's increasing 1 attack only improves their performance by about 25% (the death count approximately was 1.5 soldiers killed for the unit with 1 increased attack for every 1 soldier killed for the non altered unit). At the moment I'm tempted to consider armor a much more valuable stat as opposed to damage... except that..

- Increased troop numbers seem to have the inverse effect, so a group of 60 soldiers with +1 attack will absolutely massacre a group of 50 soldiers with +1 armor. Again I do not think this is because statistically they are better, it's because those 10 extra troops creep around to the sides of the opposing unit and can attack from multiple sides. Positioning trumps all.

- Custom animations can have all sorts of huge effects on how a unit performs and for the most part needs to be done on a unit by unit basis. It seems larger units unsurprisingly perform better than smaller sized units of equal numbers. Again this might not be because their size makes them better, but rather they size allows them to (wait for it....) step around and surround an enemy from multiple sides easier.

- Unit weight has a massive, massive impact on charge damage. In a battle of 50 vs 50 soldiers, one with higher weight did about 10% more damage in the first few seconds of the melee (probably from the charge itself). The weight seems to have no effect after the charge however. I performed the test again several times but had the unit with more weight not charge at all as the enemy came into melee, and the end results were much more equal. As such units with higher weight probably need minor nerfs in numbers, but not too significant a deduction.

So here's my rank of factors in determining the performance of a unit:

#1 Ability to surround an enemy in melee
    Can a unit surround an enemy unit more easily? Can be nerfed by reducing soldier numbers, adding more rows to a unit formation
    #2 Unit's Physical/Collision Size
    This is tied to #1, because the larger a unit is the more easily to can surround an enemy.
    #3 Unit's Armor Value
    If the unit has higher armor but equal numbers, it will almost always win.
    #4 Unit's Damage Value
    If the unit has higher Damage but equal numbers, it will almost always win. The strength of this is not as great has having higher armor however.
    #5 Unit Mass
    Only seems to effect charge damage, which can initially give a unit a huge edge in the first few seconds of a melee and set off a chain reaction of your superior numbers being able to surround what enemies survive.

So here's my rough analysis on what certain inhuman races need changed to stack against human races of equal value:

Medium sized Gorons:
    37 troops for every 50 humanoid
    2 row formation

Both a large physical size and higher weight necessitate the mild nerf in troop count, however the formation rows need to be smaller or else they can be surrounded too easily.

Large Gorons, Darknuts:
    16 troops for every 50 humanoid
    3 row formation
    2 HP as opposed to 1
    1 increase for all armor stats

Both a large physical size and higher weight necessitate the nerf in troop count. They need to be given an additional hitpoint however, as even in a single row most units are able to surround these guys

Moblin:
    32 troops for every 50 humanoid
    3 row formation

The unit's slightly larger physical size and weight necessitates this more mild nerf in troop count.

Kokiri, Fairy, Deku Scrubs:
    70 troops for every 50 humanoid
    4 row formation
    decrease all attack and defense stats by 1

The higher troop count necessitates a tighter formation with more rows so that these races can not so easily surround an enemy of lesser troop counts. Decreasing all the stats by 1 is also necessary as even with the tightest formation about 30% of the troops in this unit are still able to easily slip around back after charge collision with a unit of lesser troop count.

Gohma:
    80 troops for every 50 humanoid
    4 row formation
    decrease all attack and defense stats by 2

This is the exact same situation as the Kokiri, Fairies, and Deku. Troops being able to surround enemies is unavoidable with such a high troop count however, even with the tightest 4 row formation. As such their stats take a larger blow than the Kokiri.

Sheikah:
    25 troops for every 50 humanoid
    2 row formation
    2 HP as opposed to 1
    Increase attack values by 1

The Sheikah are a bit of a trick to mess with, since they actually use the same human skeletons most other factions use. Because of their smaller number count they are prone to being surrounded even with the widest line formation. To lessen the impact of being surrounded, Sheikah have all been giving 1 additional HP (the same method Darknuts and Large Gorons compensate for being surrounded).

They are shorthand, not the exact names I think.

It's all open to discussion.

Does everyone think blunt weapons should be considerd armor peircing as well? I'm fine with the idea.

I have very generalized ideas, though since some of the factions are getting their rosters changed (the Darknuts in particular are pretty much being redone from the ground up), it's probably safe to wait until they all get redone.

I do not think there will be any tiered units. Each unit will have very different roles. For example Hylian Knights have shields and therefore should be used to chase down archers, where's Hylian Infantry will probably have a parry bonus and can better parry in melee maybe.
    I know little about TW balancing but historically heavy smashing weapons and firearms where very good vs plate armour
    P.S. I hope you keep the spirit of the darknuts with them being highly armoured walls of death. After all no matter how balanced they are if they don't feel like darknuts then they fail as a faction.
    Last edited by Sir Aroun; December 22, 2015 at 08:59 PM.

--------
    "Honor, Wisdom, and The Freedom of the Common Man"-- The Code of The Republic

warl0rd13's Avatar Semisalis

Sounds pretty good, I'd give it to whoever would count for that kind of thing, which reminds me; I think Ghoma Queens should be given Garrison, they are supposed to keep watch over the hive after all.

Also I was messing with giving units the traits you mentioned(I was using 3.8 btw) and it kind of makes some units a lot more powerful then they should be, and I'm not entirely convinced Heavy armor or arrow proof shields work as intended, they have way better armor and resist arrows better to be sure, respectively, but they don't seem to have actual heavy armor or are immune to arrow fire. Same thing with some of the other attributes like Nimble Footing.

Or are these going to be added later one?
    Stabber, Ikanan teen.
    Silias "Twitch Tethers, Ordonian ranger

Another question, since I just realized it's possible. Should I make a sort of "Police" trait? Basically there is an attribute in Medieval 2 called is_peasant that makes unit's count as only half for removing a city's unrest. So 50 soldiers with this trait only count as 25. Basically units without this trait would be better at maintaining order in a city. I can already see this as a good trait for a unit like Town Guards, who are more geared towards police duty rather than military duty. Combined with their Free Upkeep bonus, it makes them attractive to have stationed in all your cities even when you have stronger units out on the field.
    Yes! This also be good for homeguard.

--------

Quote Originally Posted by warl0rd13 View Post
    Sounds pretty good, I'd give it to whoever would count for that kind of thing, which reminds me; I think Ghoma Queens should be given Garrison, they are supposed to keep watch over the hive after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Aroun View Post
    Yes! This also be good for homeguard.
    I agree with all 3 posts. This would be good for the game.
    Should Gohma Queens be a Police unit as well?
    Last edited by Eldren; December 22, 2015 at 09:42 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by warl0rd13 View Post
    and I'm not entirely convinced Heavy armor or arrow proof shields work as intended, they have way better armor and resist arrows better to be sure, respectively, but they don't seem to have actual heavy armor or are immune to arrow fire. Same thing with some of the other attributes like Nimble Footing.
    After messing around some more I believe these values might need to be bumped up to 7 instead of 5. That value actually triggers the unit description in Medieval 2 to say a unit is well Armoured, resistant to arrows, etc.

I also am concerned about factions becoming generic clones.
    Each faction needs to feel like they are that faction from the zelda universe. Or your game goes done hill. Regardless of how well you got balance to work.
    Because the reason why we all play this game is it Feels, sounds and looks like we are in the zelda universe.

And about the Darknuts. If they aren't touph. Then they are not real Darknut from Zelda games. The current game has good Darknuts.

The idea of a lack of tiers is ringing alarm bells for me personally, the thing that I love about med is the fact you can build up your city and gradually get better and better units, if it does end up becoming that all units having the same stats, it would just be a numbers game and whoever had the larger army would always win regardless of skill.
    Sign the petition to remove the hardcoded limits from M2TW
    https://www.change.org/p/creative-as...t_created=true

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by tedster1995 View Post
    The idea of a lack of tiers is ringing alarm bells for me personally, the thing that I love about med is the fact you can build up your city and gradually get better and better units, if it does end up becoming that all units having the same stats, it would just be a numbers game and whoever had the larger army would always win regardless of skill.
    A tier system has a different but just as bad problem: A race to the biggest and best unit while all lower tiered ones become useless. Unless money is an issue, why make a lower tiered unit when you can train a beefier, better version instead? It's a huge and common problem in a lot of RTS games. Supreme Commander 1 and Armada instantly comes to mind, it was a rush to T3 units/battleships and then you just spam that single unit and nothing else. I don't like tiered units much.

I'm not proposing either system though. A template system just assures that a unit type comes from a common point, so we don't have cases of asymmetry that goes too far. As much as I love extreme asymmetry, I've received walls and walls of complaints from people both on these forums and everywhere else about how poorly balanced the game is. That's the price of extreme asymmetry and a lack of support for my mod might not be worth it at this point.

That's the price of extreme asymmetry and a lack of support for my mod might not be worth it at this point.
    What do you mean by this? It kinda makes me worried.
    If you can clarify, that would be great.

A tier system has a different but just as bad problem: A race to the biggest and best unit while all lower tiered ones become useless. Unless money is an issue, why make a lower tiered unit when you can train a beefier, better version instead? It's a huge and common problem in a lot of RTS games. Supreme Commander 1 and Armada instantly comes to mind, it was a rush to T3 units/battleships and then you just spam that single unit and nothing else. I don't like tiered units much.
    Becouse of the replenishment System you could make low tiered units replenish faster, so that if you musst fill the gaps in your armies with lowerranged ones
    Thougth their should still have role at wicht their exel.

Don't think it is a problem combining the template system and the tier system.

From the tests now we know things like 16 Darknuts ~ 50 humans.

This just means that if we are to make a darknut unit of 32 it should be roughly double as expensive as a unit with 50 humans.

Of course we could argue that if we escalate unit types simply making them better (Say zora blademaster --> shocktrooper --> domain supreme) the weaker units would become obsolete, but compensating with upkeep/recruit time/replenishing time/price they can still be balanced, in a way that even weaker units remain relevant because of their price/availability.

Ohhh that sounds alright actually ill wait till i give it a try before i pass any more judgement now, with costings in regard i think mages should be quite high cost and medium long replenishment to compensate for them being so strong
    Sign the petition to remove the hardcoded limits from M2TW
    https://www.change.org/p/creative-as...t_created=true

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

I think tiers can be implemented entirely reasonably. As far as I can remember, you can limit how many top tier units can be recruited in-game. That will deal with the "lots o' money = nothin' but elites" worry. Custom/Multiplayer Battle costs can be refined to deter players from using nothing but elites. There are plenty of ways to make a unit useful outside of just function and cost.

For example, the Gohma are without a doubt a swarm faction. They should have hundreds and hundreds of little Gohma running around, surrounding the opposing force in an attempt to get their larger, more fearsome Gohma to the frontlines. The small ones can be brought around to tie up units while the large ones act like wrecking balls. The tradeoff will be that the Gohma cannot produce as many big Gohma as the small ones. They might not break the player's bank, but their limited supply will keep the player mindful of where they want their units. They would then necessarily require the smaller Gohma to keep other regions under check. In this scenario, both units will be useful to the player, but clearly the bigger Gohma units will be more of a threat, as I believe that they should be.

Some factions could use the system above, while other factions make use of other systems of recruitment. That's just how they play, and it will help to differentiate them. I can see both Hyrule and Labrynna utilizing certain units for specific roles rather than a particular unit being the "wrecking ball" that factions like the Gohma would utilize. It will take a lot of play-testing, but then again, what balancing doesn't, lol

Patrician Artifex

In regards to Ikana, I'm tempted to make all of their units have no upkeep cost when they are garrisoned in settlements to help offset their poor starting position and lack of resources. Naturally though this will end up encouraging Ikana to be really, really defensive instead of aggressive, and I'm not sure if I want to them play as a Defensive faction. What do you guys think?

In regards to Ikana, I'm tempted to make all of their units have no upkeep cost when they are garrisoned in settlements to help offset their poor starting position and lack of resources. Naturally though this will end up encouraging Ikana to be really, really defensive instead of aggressive, and I'm not sure if I want to them play as a Defensive faction. What do you guys think?
    Ikana was always more the lurking threat then the big invader (that be the twi), so making them defensive would be ok so long as they captured most of their homeland. Maybe for the AI give them a big event that would push them into attacking later on it the game.

--------

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    I think tiers can be implemented entirely reasonably. As far as I can remember, you can limit how many top tier units can be recruited in-game. That will deal with the "lots o' money = nothin' but elites" worry. Custom/Multiplayer Battle costs can be refined to deter players from using nothing but elites. There are plenty of ways to make a unit useful outside of just function and cost.

For example, the Gohma are without a doubt a swarm faction. They should have hundreds and hundreds of little Gohma running around, surrounding the opposing force in an attempt to get their larger, more fearsome Gohma to the frontlines. The small ones can be brought around to tie up units while the large ones act like wrecking balls. The tradeoff will be that the Gohma cannot produce as many big Gohma as the small ones. They might not break the player's bank, but their limited supply will keep the player mindful of where they want their units. They would then necessarily require the smaller Gohma to keep other regions under check. In this scenario, both units will be useful to the player, but clearly the bigger Gohma units will be more of a threat, as I believe that they should be.

Some factions could use the system above, while other factions make use of other systems of recruitment. That's just how they play, and it will help to differentiate them. I can see both Hyrule and Labrynna utilizing certain units for specific roles rather than a particular unit being the "wrecking ball" that factions like the Gohma would utilize. It will take a lot of play-testing, but then again, what balancing doesn't, lol
    Please do this for the Gohma.
    At the moment. Their armies are made of Giants. Where is the swarms?
    I only see Gohma swarms in cutscenes of Hyrule Historia.

It really is your call.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Aroun View Post
    Ikana was always more the lurking threat then the big invader (that be the twi), so making them defensive would be ok so long as they captured most of their homeland. Maybe for the AI give them a big event that would push them into attacking later on it the game.
    That's true actually. In MM. Ikana was doing more of a waiting game. But also had troops and forces in key places. If I remember right that is.
    Last edited by Eldren; December 23, 2015 at 07:13 PM.

LOL.
    Should Link be an assassin? And should Dark Link be the same?
    That was his job in all Zelda games. Kill the dungeon bosses.

Can we make hearlers increase the number of troops that did not die but was revived from death at the end of battle?
    Can we make the River Zora Canables increes the attack of ally units? While chatting?
    And similar stuff like that for the game?

Sorry. last post.
    Will the things in this thread be inplamented in the 4.0 version or a later version?