Thread: Average land ownership of Medieval nobility?

Icon1 Average land ownership of Medieval nobility?

Long story short, I'm trying to work out an accurate number of levies for the various houses in Alryia and how many levies each of their vassals would be able to supply and I couldn't find anything on examples of how much land(in acres or km) was on average owned by people from the various tiers of Medieval western european nobility(Dukes, Counts/Earls, Barons, Knights) personally. Does anyone here have any numbers for this?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Average land ownership of Medieval nobility?

Well there is data out there but averages are the bane accuracy in this endeavor (in my opinion)

What a piece of land can support vary much depends on a lot variables - so many that you might as well just make them up based a nugget of truth. Look up the Domesday Book and scholarship around it it will certainly give you a good ideal about 1086 in England.

You might also find the J & F Gies useful

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=AY61AAAAIAAJ

That's only one book but they have written a rather large number of other publications and other books on medieval life.
    Last edited by conon394; December 22, 2015 at 06:32 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.