Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Third Age Total War for Mac: Now that Macs have M2?

Laetus

Default Re: Third Age Total War for Mac: Now that Macs have M2?

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Mac users, how do vanilla M2TW and Kingdoms battles inside of a city work for you? Any issues?
    I'm on Kingdoms, and no issues in city battles in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Itza View Post
    I have not tested all the settlements, but this is some of the Custom settlements that work/dont works:
    *Updated with Bingbangbongs list*

Works:
    Erebor
    Imladris (Rivendell)
    Dol Guldur
    Caras Galadhon

Does not work (crashes):
    East Osgiliath
    West Osgiliath
    Helms Deep
    Minas Tirith
    The Black Gate
    Moria (but works on the Fellowship Campaign without the gates/town Square)
    Minas Morgul
    Cair Andros

Guys, feel free to add more to the list as you try other custom settlements. Only include Settlements that you have tried to initiate battle from the campaign map, since you need to know the exact settings (settlement lvl etc) when initiating battle from the Custom Game screen.
    Mithlond is an interesting one. It works as a large town, but stops working when upgraded to a large city. Makes me think custom walls/gates are 100% the issue.

To anybody with any clue about modding settlements. Could these lines of code be what's causing a problem for mac users? I assume the files they're referencing would be stored somewhere else on a mac?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

hey there I was wondering if someone could help me out, I'm running a macbook pro, I downloaded TWM2 from the mac app store and then applied the Third Age mod successfully. However I really want to add the DaC mod and was wondering how to get that to work. Should I open the exe files using the same wine wrapper as I used for Third Age? what folder do I need to drag into/copy to get DaC to work, I'm at a complete loss and would appreciate any help greatly my friends!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Itza View Post
    I have not tested all the settlements, but this is some of the Custom settlements that work/dont works:
    *Updated with Bingbangbongs list*

Works:
    Erebor
    Imladris (Rivendell)
    Dol Guldur
    Caras Galadhon

Does not work (crashes):
    East Osgiliath
    West Osgiliath
    Helms Deep
    Minas Tirith
    The Black Gate
    Moria (but works on the Fellowship Campaign without the gates/town Square)
    Minas Morgul
    Cair Andros

Guys, feel free to add more to the list as you try other custom settlements. Only include Settlements that you have tried to initiate battle from the campaign map, since you need to know the exact settings (settlement lvl etc) when initiating battle from the Custom Game screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingbangbong View Post
    Sadly it's a known problem with the mac version. Feral, who made the port are looking into a solution but have said it isn't high on their priority list.

To add to itza's list:

Does not work

Edoras
    Isengard

Works

Goblin Town
    Amon Sul
    Hobbiton
    Carn Dum
    Henneth Annun
    Barad Dur
    Pelargir

Also an error report of the problem:
    Good God. That is atrocious. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I had an Apple Desktop PC or a MacBook (the latter I coincidentally do have in addition to my newer HP Pavilion Notebook with Windows 8.1), I would simply not play TATW at all, or buy a new Windows PC compatible computer. I actually partitioned my MacBook's hard drive a long time ago to include Windows 7 OS, in order to play mods like Stainless Steel. However, it was essential to get a PC with a Windows operating system as soon as I wanted to fill up that hard drive space with more mods like Europa Barbarorum II, De Bello Mundi, Bellum Crucis 7, and Third Age Total War with MOS and DAC submods.

If I were you guys I would just say screw Feral (they'll neve get around to helping you) and just partition your Mac hard drives like I did. You'd have to sacrifice a lot of space for both TATW and one of its submods like MOS, though. To be frank, given the evil faction "crusades" against your settlements, it's almost pointless to play the game if you can't personally defend a settlement like Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, or Isengard. Auto-resolving usually does not work in your favor if the odds are even slightly stacked against you (when you could otherwise win just by being a competent player). Plus the visuals are half the experience of the game and missing out on arguably the greatest and most gorgeous settlements, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, even Rivendell, would be enough for me to say "screw that" and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    would be enough for me to say "screw that" and move on.
    no.

We know what the problem is, it is just the custom gates, and perhaps the custom walls. We have done a great job in identifying and narrowing down the cause, and because of that i have faith that Feral Interactive will fix it. It might take time, but if we continue to remind people about it, we just might get to play Third Age.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; April 10, 2016 at 11:00 AM. Reason: censor bypassing.. first warning.

Does anyone know how we could go about removing/editing/replacing custom settlements as a temporary fix?

If we can replace the custom walls/gate designs with regular ones like at the Henneth Annun/Carn Dum custom settlements, then they should work. I tried just swapping the files with the North_European counterparts with same name, but it resulted in error 163 whatever that is.

EDIT: This thread seems to talk through the process, but it's quite hard to break the wall of text down into a step by step guide.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...it-Settlements
    Last edited by Bingbangbong; April 10, 2016 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Good God. That is atrocious. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I had an Apple Desktop PC or a MacBook (the latter I coincidentally do have in addition to my newer HP Pavilion Notebook with Windows 8.1), I would simply not play TATW at all, or buy a new Windows PC compatible computer. I actually partitioned my MacBook's hard drive a long time ago to include Windows 7 OS, in order to play mods like Stainless Steel. However, it was essential to get a PC with a Windows operating system as soon as I wanted to fill up that hard drive space with more mods like Europa Barbarorum II, De Bello Mundi, Bellum Crucis 7, and Third Age Total War with MOS and DAC submods.

If I were you guys I would just say screw Feral (they'll neve get around to helping you) and just partition your Mac hard drives like I did. You'd have to sacrifice a lot of space for both TATW and one of its submods like MOS, though. To be frank, given the evil faction "crusades" against your settlements, it's almost pointless to play the game if you can't personally defend a settlement like Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, or Isengard. Auto-resolving usually does not work in your favor if the odds are even slightly stacked against you (when you could otherwise win just by being a competent player). Plus the visuals are half the experience of the game and missing out on arguably the greatest and most gorgeous settlements, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, even Rivendell, would be enough for me to say "screw that" and move on.
    To be honest, it's basically the Southwestern part of the map that is broken. Dwarves, high/wood elves, OoG, rhun, and free peoples can all have a pretty much error free campaign with the exceptions of maybe Moria/the black gate.

Gondor, Isengard, Rohan, Mordor and possibly Harad/OoMM would really notice the broken settlements though.

Quote Originally Posted by macmodda View Post
    hey there I was wondering if someone could help me out, I'm running a macbook pro, I downloaded TWM2 from the mac app store and then applied the Third Age mod successfully. However I really want to add the DaC mod and was wondering how to get that to work. Should I open the exe files using the same wine wrapper as I used for Third Age? what folder do I need to drag into/copy to get DaC to work, I'm at a complete loss and would appreciate any help greatly my friends!

Please respond

Here's my 'fix' for the broken settlements (you can't play on them, but you do get default maps, which is better than autoresolve). Go to where the custom maps are kept (for me it's ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Medieval II Total War/Medieval2Data/mods/Third_Age_3/data/settlements/Unique_Settlements, I don't know what it's like for non Steam users) and, making sure you have backups first, delete the contents of the folders for the broken settlements. At first I tried replacing them with an appropriate settlement, but then I worked out that it doesn't make any difference, so you might as well just delete everything in the folders.

The broken cities are the Black Gates, Cair Andros, Edoras, Hornburg, Isengard, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirith and East and West Osgiliath. I presume repaired Osgiliath doesn't work either. Moria is also broken apparently, but I've left it for the Fellowship Campaign. If you're planning to fight there, you should empty it as well though.

Once I work out how custom settlements actually work, I should be able to make a less terrible fix (it may well be possible to use the correct cultures or something).

Quote Originally Posted by cmurnz View Post
    Here's my 'fix' for the broken settlements (you can't play on them, but you do get default maps, which is better than autoresolve). Go to where the custom maps are kept (for me it's ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Medieval II Total War/Medieval2Data/mods/Third_Age_3/data/settlements/Unique_Settlements, I don't know what it's like for non Steam users) and, making sure you have backups first, delete the contents of the folders for the broken settlements. At first I tried replacing them with an appropriate settlement, but then I worked out that it doesn't make any difference, so you might as well just delete everything in the folders.

The broken cities are the Black Gates, Cair Andros, Edoras, Hornburg, Isengard, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirith and East and West Osgiliath. I presume repaired Osgiliath doesn't work either. Moria is also broken apparently, but I've left it for the Fellowship Campaign. If you're planning to fight there, you should empty it as well though.

Once I work out how custom settlements actually work, I should be able to make a less terrible fix (it may well be possible to use the correct cultures or something).
    Sounds great as a temporary fix. Just tried it and can confirm it works.
    Last edited by Bingbangbong; April 10, 2016 at 08:43 AM.

The other issue that I had with the mod is that the area surrounding the battlemaps is just black (where you should be able to see hills and stuff in the distance, they're there, but there's no texture, it's just black). Does anyone know where the problem would be here, or how to go about fixing it?

Also, I think Moria worked in fellowship campaign because there is a custom map tile Moria and a custom settlement Moria (I found the file for map tile while digging around). Same is true for Cair Andros, which has a historical battle using the custom tile, which also works. Presumably you can therefore also delete the Moria custom settlement, but the custom tile will still work for fellowship campaign.
    Good to know, thanks. I was wondering about the Cair Andros historical battle. The problem may well be gates, but my first guess was towers, as Henneth Annun, Dol Guldur and Lake-Town all have gates (though it may be something to do with custom gates) but I don't think they have working towers.

Please respond
    There's nothing wrong with using the same wine wrapper. If you copy/pasted the TATW files from the wrapper, rather than drag/dropping them, the installer will probably put them in the right place anyway. Then you just name the folder something else and put it in your mods folder (or don't change the name and replace your vanilla TATW folder with it).

Quote Originally Posted by cmurnz View Post
    Good to know, thanks. I was wondering about the Cair Andros historical battle. The problem may well be gates, but my first guess was towers, as Henneth Annun, Dol Guldur and Lake-Town all have gates (though it may be something to do with custom gates) but I don't think they have working towers.
    I think the difference is they all use vanilla gates/walls (they don't have a custom gates/walls file). All the settlements that do seem to be the ones that are broken, except Cair Andros, which is a bit of an anomaly. Maybe it's something to do with custom towers, but I can't actually find any custom tower files? I seem to remember Minas Tirith/Black Gate/Isengard/Hornburg/Edoras/Moria just not having any?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hmm just realised that Esgaroth is lake town, which does work and does have custom walls. Combined with Cair Andros not having custom walls or gates I guess that kind of shoots down mine and itza's theory of custom walls/gates being the problem. Suppose we should focus on the difference between working/crashing settlement files and see if we can spot any differences between them that might be causing problems.

There's nothing wrong with using the same wine wrapper. If you copy/pasted the TATW files from the wrapper, rather than drag/dropping them, the installer will probably put them in the right place anyway. Then you just name the folder something else and put it in your mods folder (or don't change the name and replace your vanilla TATW folder with it).

Thank you for the response, unfortunately I don't think that will work for me when I do that the screen will load with the Divide and Conquer page but crash shortly after.

Thank you for the response, unfortunately I don't think that will work for me when I do that the screen will load with the Divide and Conquer page but crash shortly after.
    I was having that problem with SS 6.3/6.4 It loaded the 6.4 screen then insta crashed. The problem was that mac wasn't letting me merge the 2 folders, it only gave the option to replace one with the other. I solved it by merging the 2 folders inside of my wine wrapper then moving them out into my mods folder, at which point it worked.

Worth checking whether that's the issue.

I was having that problem with SS 6.3/6.4 It loaded the 6.4 screen then insta crashed. The problem was that mac wasn't letting me merge the 2 folders, it only gave the option to replace one with the other. I solved it by merging the 2 folders inside of my wine wrapper then moving them out into my mods folder, at which point it worked.

Worth checking whether that's the issue.
    kk before I try this can you specifically tell me which folders need to be merged?

kk before I try this can you specifically tell me which folders need to be merged?
    You will want to merge the contents of the DAC folder into the Third_age_3 folder inside your wrapper (and replace any text files with the same name (you should get prompted to do this)). Worth having a copy of vanilla third age before merging, just incase anything goes wrong or you want to play vanilla again after.

A guy on page 4 of this thread said he got DAC running without any problems so could be worth sending him a message to see how he did it if that doesn't work.