Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you guys do the "one ring"?

Default How often do you guys do the "one ring"?

So I'm playing Gondor VH/VH and its about turn 65 and I get the one ring event, I think, "hey that looks interesting!"

But its at Carn Dum (Orcs of gundabad citadel which I think has garrisson script)... To me it just seems like it would take far too log for me to somehow get an army all the way up there and back. It was further complicated by me getting an invasion called on me on the exact same turn (It was on umbar to boot... Minas Tirith would be easy to defend, resupply, etc. but now im forced to scramble and try to get an army to Umbar before the invasions arrive... trying to keep the troops there retrained looks like it will be a challenge.)

ANYWAYS, I read the ring FAQ and I just wanted to know, do you guys find doing it worthwhile? To me it just seems like I would have an easier time just fighting Mordor conventionally instead of sending an elite army away for 20-30 turns.

If I dont do it and Sauran spawns/I kill him... will ring event happen again later?

also one random question... when do you guys USUALLY see the first invasion called? I just realized the invasion of my Umbar was the 1st one called and it was on on turn 65... is that really late?

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: How often do you guys do the "one ring"?

I've never had thew ring myself, but for invasions to happen the pope (Sauron) needs to be spawned. Not the one that Mordor controls, but another faction. Anyway the pope can be spawned after turn 40 with a 10% chance every turn
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

The ring will jump around from settlement to settlement after several turns. Wait for awhile and it may appear much closer to you like at Dol Guldor or Isengard.

Miles

Don't chase after it
    But should u get it, make sure a lousy general gets it because the ring will corrupt the traits...

If it's somewhat close to you, then I think it's worth it. If nothing else it adds a bit of fun and story to the game. Plus it gives a lot of abilities and traits to your General that gets it, both positive and negative, so there's that.

It does move around so if it's far away from you at first just ignore it and you'll eventually get another message saying that it has moved to a different city.

I've got it before when playing Eriador and it spawned in Carn Dum, and once as Dale when it spawned in southwest Rhun. In the Eriador game I also attended the Council of Elrond. But I have yet to actually play a game where I've completed the task and taken the Ring all the way to Mordor.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Acquiring the ring and destroying it at Mount Doom is one of the most rewarding features ever introduced in a total war game. I did it once in my last Gondor campaign. But you need to be ready. I would suggest not chasing the ring blindly but expand your borders and go after the ring when it is closest. Remember it is no use if the ring appear at Dol Guldur for example, cause you will have to take it to Elrond anyway at Rivendell. When you are strong enough use the ring as killing blow to Mordor. Also remember the general with the ring will get lots of bad traits. I used Boromir anyway to destroy it cause I really wanted to be him for roleplaying purposes.

I have sought it a number of time and always had it stolen.

Although rather interestingly when playing as Silvian Elves (most enjoyable) Sauron got the ring and spawned ready to take on Middle Earth.

Anwyays, I think his main thrust was at Gondor so as time elapsed I was pushing down into Mordor and happened to siege one of the City just down from E. Osgiliath. Sauron was there with a couple of units so I sieged him out it killed him and I believe gave me the ring.

I then went and took Barud Dur and destroyed the ring at Mount Doom. So hope isnt all lost if Sauron gets the ring!

As the ring story is so compelling I think I would chase it whenever I have a chance of getting to the province.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

I do it when it is close. Carn Dûm is too far from Gondor, it will appear closer.

Send at least one spy with the army to keep Gollum from getting his precious, add a good general when you have it, and move the army the moment you get it towards Imladris, get there ASAP. Meanwhile let your other generals take Barad Dûr so all is ready for it.

It is always fun to watch Mordor collapse.

DennisRoos's Avatar Tiro

I was wondering what happens when Mordor is destroyed before the Ring appears. I'm playing as Gondor and I am about to defeat Mordor and I haven't got a message as to the location of the Ring yet, so by the time I do get it, Mordor will be destroyed by conventional means. Will it have any benefits to destroy the Ring anyway? For example, will there be no more invasions? Or can Mordor rise again if another evil faction gets the Ring before I destroy it?

Baron Samedi's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Acquiring the ring and destroying it at Mount Doom is one of the most rewarding features ever introduced in a total war game.
    Thnx for the compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by DennisRoos View Post
    I was wondering what happens when Mordor is destroyed before the Ring appears. I'm playing as Gondor and I am about to defeat Mordor and I haven't got a message as to the location of the Ring yet, so by the time I do get it, Mordor will be destroyed by conventional means. Will it have any benefits to destroy the Ring anyway? For example, will there be no more invasions? Or can Mordor rise again if another evil faction gets the Ring before I destroy it?
    If you (or the A.I. for that matter) destroy Mordor without using the ring, you can't acquire the ring in this case. I checked the TATW script and I noticed that invasions aren't tied to the survival of Mordor. There is also a possibility that Mordor rises again, but its not dependant on the possession of the ring by an evil faction.
    Under the patronage of MasterBigAb

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

That script you created is just amazing, Baron Samedi! I can confirm invasion occur after the destruction of Mordor. Also, after the destruction of the ring a small Mordor army will spawn at the Misty Mountains with a message saying that there are still creatures of Mordor alive. So in order to destroy Mordor the player must destroy the rest of the mordorian troops.

My ring always dissapear after like 10 turns. And then it reappears somewhere else. Anyone knows why ? So I have never had a chanse to destroy it cause of that :/

Baron Samedi's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    That script you created is just amazing, Baron Samedi! I can confirm invasion occur after the destruction of Mordor. Also, after the destruction of the ring a small Mordor army will spawn at the Misty Mountains with a message saying that there are still creatures of Mordor alive. So in order to destroy Mordor the player must destroy the rest of the mordorian troops.
    Great to know everything is working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by The dead one View Post
    My ring always dissapear after like 10 turns. And then it reappears somewhere else. Anyone knows why ? So I have never had a chanse to destroy it cause of that :/
    This is supposed to happen. Actually the correct number should be every 25 turns, which is more than enough. See it like this: people go out and do stuff in ME. I mean why would a person stay always on the exact same spot for the rest of his life? That would make him a very easy target, especially with the ring in his possession (should attract some nasty folks ). Also when you think that in this mod, 4 turns represent a year, it only makes more sense actually (6 years is long enough right? ).
    Under the patronage of MasterBigAb

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Never manages to get it to Mt Doom, even if I manage to get to the Council. Mostly a tricksy fellow comes and snatch it either just before or after... bit of a drag to be honest, never get the chance to even trydip it into the vulcano :/ haha

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

reavertm's Avatar Biarchus

I did it in my Rohan campaign (with good vs evil mod, otherwise I observed 'good' factions fighting each other).
    After I helped Gondor to fight off Haradrim (I took a little campaign to secure the whole coast), I possessed The One Ring in Umbar. Gondor and Dale (A.I) meanwhile were surprisingly good at kicking into Mordor, they secured the pass for me.

The ring was found by Theoden but he felt old and Erkenbrand was tasked with delivering it to Rivendell.
    Decision to destory the ring was made, but long journey awaited. Gandalf (now reborn into the White) meanwhile was enjoying hospitality in Moria. As Frodo felt bad about the journey (travelling on foot? come on), Gandalf was to deliver The One Ring to Mount Doom. This is how begun his ultimate journey to put an end to mighty foe, Sauron The Deceiver.

Mordor obviously denied him to enter through Black Gate and Gondor denied through Minas Ithil (politics..), he took way around, through dangeorus steppe (but now mostly secured by Dale). Actually it didn't make any difference due to amazing speed of his stallion. But when he entered Mordor, he became to feel The Ring's weight. He slipped between Orc armies busy with Denethor besieging Barad Dur.
    Now was the time, and he didn't fail.

A couple of turns and Mordor was gone

(btw, "good vs evil" mod is the ony way to see any usefullness of allies. Too bad "good" factions together overpower "evil" factions a bit - especially in TATW 3.0 when population increases much slower than before and cites are upgraded much slower as a result, Rhun is simply not able to get any Dragon regiments before it's raped by Dale, I was shocked to see Dale kick Rhun's ass so bad)
    Last edited by reavertm; May 06, 2012 at 04:40 PM.

So the sequence is:

1. Find the Ring(Which teleports), get it into your possession.
    2. Head to Rivendell when prompted(ASSUMING it hasn't been taken or some such).
    3.Beat down Mordor all the way to Mount Doom, seeing as only a General can carry the Ring, rather than a Spy which would actually make some SENSE(One can Argue that Frodo's a Spy).

Basically, if you're doing this, then Mordor isn't a threat to begin with, since Mount Doom's position means you'll have to break the faction to do it. Going through Rhun has similar issues. Even if you're trying to sneak...The issue is interception. The best army is going to be either all cavalry, or one guy, and praying you can avoid detection. Fat chance of that.

Even in the story, it was luck and desperation. In this? Nigh-worthless, since the baseline position is so much different.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Oh i do the one ring all day.

Got it for the first time since i play TATW, brought it at mount doom... now i'm "stuck" on mount doom defending the ring against orc stack spam((
    I've spent many hours battling them. Hope it'll stop today

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

I find it pretty much every game, it always in Goblin Town in my games. Never reached far enough in to get it to Mordor though

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Guys I need help I'm at Mount Doom. My General (Ring Bearer) has been there for 10 turns and nothing happen. I went to Rivendel and I accepted the quest to destroy the one ring... I don't know what to do. TATW v3.2 Rohan VH/VH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast