Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Third Age Total War for Mac: Now that Macs have M2?

Default Third Age Total War MOS for Mac

I've installed Third Age without the MOS submod on my mac (M2TW via App Store) and it worked great. I decided to install the MOS submod and the furthest I get is to the startup loading screen and then it crashes. I ran the cleaner.bat file and changed privileges on the folder to Read & Write for all. I guess what I am asking is: is MOS compatible with Mac or does it only run on versions of Windows?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) OS X 10.11.4
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB1

Default Re: Third Age Total War for Mac: Now that Macs have M2?

If anybody wants to try to figure out how to fix custom settlements with me, there's some guides here on creating custom settlements:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tom-settlement

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...81#post8500981

We can import/export .ms3d files using an add-on for blender.

Quote Originally Posted by Itza View Post
    OK i figured out how to get Third Age (or any other MTW2 mod) to work on the Mac App Store version of Medieval Total War 2.

1. Download the mod you want, and open the installer using a program like Wine.
    2. Just make a folder on your desktop and install all the mod files in there.
    3. Move the folder "Third_Age_3" (or something like that, the entire mod anyways) into the Mod folder where the 4 Kingdoms campaigns are (Americas, Teutonic etc).
    4. Launch Medieval Total War 2, and in the Launcher Option window, go to the "Advanced" tab at the top of the window.
    5. Toggle the box that says "Advanced options" and in the text area right next to the box write "--features.mod=mods/NAME OF THE MOD FOLDER", so for my Third Age mod it would be "--features.mod=mods/Third_Age_3"
    6. Enjoy
    When I try this it just opens medieval 2 normally, has this happend to anyone else? sorry if this was already talked about I only read the first couple pages of the discussion.

Have you tested any other mods on your mac yet? Or just third age so far?

What does your directory for third age look like

Just Third Age. It worked for the most part, didnt test it extensively but the MOS submod crashes on load. Im guessing its just wishful thinking to hope that MOS works on mac in regards to the backwards compatibility issues

Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarkey View Post
    Just Third Age. It worked for the most part, didnt test it extensively but the MOS submod crashes on load. Im guessing its just wishful thinking to hope that MOS works on mac in regards to the backwards compatibility issues
    Hey, what is MOS? do you need MOS to instal Third age?

For a computer newbie like me, this is all so confusing!

Anyone knows a good youtube tutorial?

MOS is a modification for the third age mod (a submod). It isn't needed to install third age, but it compiles together lots of individual alteration mods that people made for the game over the years like more custom settlements, more factions and a bunch of other possible features.

When it's installed on turn 1 of your campaign you get a bunch of different options that you have to accept or decline to determine what features (beyond extra settlements/factions) are active in that campaign.

As far as I'm aware nobody has successfully gotten it to work on a mac. It just makes the game crash.

If anybody is interested, I've got custom settlements to work on my mac by using a wineskin wrapper intended for another game.

Technically it's using the windows version of m2, not feral's port, but it seems as close as we'll get to a fix. This should also work for MOS, DaC and any other submods people have been struggling with.

Download link is here: http://portingteam.com/files/file/80...ire-rebellion/

When you run the wrapper, log into steam, redownload med 2 and copy/paste your third age folder into the wrapper by right clicking on the wrapper itself and clicking show package contents then finding the med 2 mods folder there.

Since this is the windows version, you need to rename the third age folder to one of the kingdoms expansions then select that to make it work. I rename 'british-isles' to 'british isles original' and 'third_age_3' to 'british-isles'. To play TATW, i simply select the kingdoms Britain campaign.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EDIT: Just to confirm I have tested MOS using this method and it works.

Last edited by Bingbangbong; May 15, 2016 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bingbangbong View Post
    If anybody is interested, I've got custom settlements to work on my mac by using a wineskin wrapper intended for another game.
    Wow, good job!
    It took us 5+ months, but we fixed the problem

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Well done Bingbangbong

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Technically it's using the windows version of m2, not feral's port, but it seems as close as we'll get to a fix. This should also work for MOS, DaC and any other submods people have been struggling with.

Download link is here: http://portingteam.com/files/file/80...ire-rebellion/

When you run the wrapper, log into steam, redownload med 2 and copy/paste your third age folder into the wrapper by right clicking on the wrapper itself and clicking show package contents then finding the med 2 mods folder there.

Since this is the windows version, you need to rename the third age folder to one of the kingdoms expansions then select that to make it work. I rename 'british-isles' to 'british isles original' and 'third_age_3' to 'british-isles'. To play TATW, i simply select the kingdoms Britain campaign.

EDIT: Just to confirm I have tested MOS using this method and it works.

So the only thing i have to do is download the application you linked, run it and uninstall Med2. Then open normal Mac steam and download Med2. After that Med2 will appear somewhere in the folder of the application you linked?

when you open the wrapper it will install steam for windows on your mac. You then need to download med 2 on that.

Don't do anything with steam for mac, except transfer any mod files across.

Last edited by Bingbangbong; May 16, 2016 at 04:55 PM.

when you open the wrapper it will install steam for windows on your mac. You then need to download med 2 on that.

Don't do anything with steam for mac, except transfer any mod files across.

Yea ok, then i have to tone down my hype, because all (most) modern Macbook Pros use an Intel Iris graphics card, and the Windows version of MTW2 does not work with that type. But i guess if you have an old macbook pro or an iMac then it probably will work.

I just got my hopes up..... i guess my only hope is still Feral Interactive finding a fix
    Last edited by Itza; May 16, 2016 at 05:05 PM.

Mine is a macbook pro retina mid 2015 model. Under a year old.

Mine is a macbook pro retina mid 2015 model. Under a year old.

Yea then they must have switched out the Intel Iris graphics card on the 2015 models. Lucky bastard.....
    Feral Interactive, feel like fixing your game soon?

100% sure it won't work? Surely worth a try just in case. Just stick med 2 on to download overnight and test it in the morning. If it works in vanilla then the mods will work too. If not you can just delete it and be stuck waiting on feral.

Unfortunatly i tried getting Med2 using this method before it was released for Mac, and it did not work. It is still a really nice fix for those who do not have an Intel Iris graphics card

Hey, So I got the wine wrapper that bingbangbong mentioned (sins of solar empire one) and installed the third age mod successfully. The only problem is that when I run the game, the screen is distorted and broken. It almost looks like a messed up jigsaw puzzle. I can tell that it is the third age mod running because I can hear the menu sound and also see the screen, but the display is "broken" into pieces that and seemingly scattered around randomly. Does anyone know how to solve this display issue?

why dont you make a tutorial on youtube for us bingbangbong?